not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

35 hour Monday to Friday

12 Jun 2020, 16:40

Full timers would not take a pay cut if went to 35 hours
They would get same money for less hours but a higher hourly rate.
All part timers wouldn't go on to 35 hour contracts but all would get a pay rise as a result of rise in hourly rate.

35 hour Monday to Friday

14 Jun 2020, 17:51

I fully understand the 35 hour week is to do with levelling up the part time staff in terms of both wage increases, extra duty hours etc. Which ever new concept RM choose I don't think there will be many if any compulsory redundancies. The changes cannot be implemented by the flick of a switch so 'natural wastage' over time will get staffing levels down to where RM want them.
I would suggest the choice, although we won't have any say in the decision, will be which one preserves the most jobs. Providing they are actually jobs worth having of course. So it will come down to how the letters and 'small' packets are delivered and more importantly when they are delivered.
Delivery offices that get to keep delivery of 'large' parcels will be at an advantage over the remaining offices. Its a case of whether moving to a five day week operation or delivering every other day over six days will result in more job losses. I don't want either option to be honest but I reckon delivering every other day on letters and packets would result in more job losses. Therefore for the workforce and the union the better option is a five day operation for the remaining offices and probably sticking with a six day operation for the LAT hubs.
I don't think the regulator will allow RM to completely pull out of letter delivery so this sort of confirms that one of the two above options will happen. Just a case of the union stopping RM going for the every other day delivery option which is more damaging for us posties.

35 hour Monday to Friday

14 Jun 2020, 18:01

Phantom wrote:Plenty of 60+ year olds waiting for redundancy offers, thousands can't wait to leave.
Couple this with the hourly reduction and it won't equate to 20,000 job losses, it will be less.

Whatever the method staff leave whether of their own accord or via other methods the changes predicted will still result in a vastly streamlined workforce and tens of thousands of job losses.

35 hour Monday to Friday

16 Jun 2020, 19:25

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Notice how he emphasised the CAN part.

My best guess would be it's more to do with evolving shift patterns and later start times than performance.

The early start-early finish, 4 day weeks, 9 day fortnight's, 1 in 4, Wallingtons and even to a certain extent full-time working are all things that don't fit into a future streamlined parcel driven model.

If you can't live with that there's probably not going to be a place for you in the company.

And the most important CAN for delivery offices . . . CAN drive.

35 hour Monday to Friday

16 Jun 2020, 21:00

DGH wrote:And the most important CAN for delivery offices . . . CAN drive.

That's unlikely to be a major factor unless an office has an unusually high number of non-drivers.

If the majority of large parcels and tracked end up on the afternoon shift we're mostly going to be taking out letters and small packets, that makes HCT duties far more viable especially in towns.

There's no point in putting everyone in a single van if it's going to be half empty.

35 hour Monday to Friday

18 Jun 2020, 17:41

Not for me i like my 9 day fortnight sod working Monday to Friday ,what works for one doesn't work for all,anyway some people are looking forward to redundancy.

35 hour Monday to Friday

28 Jun 2020, 06:29

UNION JACK wrote:Not for me i like my 9 day fortnight sod working Monday to Friday ,what works for one doesn't work for all,anyway some people are looking forward to redundancy.

Enjoy it while you can. It was a fantastic shift pattern. I actually felt I had some spare time for a life out of work. If only it could be employed throughout the business, productivity would increase. No doubt about it. We got ours removed (with the help of the CWU) five yrs ago now. One in six rolled out into our office. Feel twice as knackered for similar hrs.

35 hour Monday to Friday

29 Jun 2020, 21:05

gb93 wrote:Full timers would not take a pay cut if went to 35 hours
They would get same money for less hours but a higher hourly rate.
All part timers wouldn't go on to 35 hour contracts but all would get a pay rise as a result of rise in hourly rate.

Well, without working on a Saturday my working hours (due to the longs and shorts) add up to around 37 hours at present. So what would entice Royal Mail to reduce this to 35??

They would still need half the staff on Saturdays to to deliver the parcels. So that would mean that it wouldn't be a Monday to Friday every week, but every other week wouldn't it??

35 hour Monday to Friday

30 Jun 2020, 08:41

Two Sections -
1 Mon - Fri
2 Mon - Sat with a rotating Day Off

35 hour Monday to Friday

30 Jun 2020, 15:14

wallan wrote:Two Sections -
1 Mon - Fri

I can imagine more sick leave if we go Monday to Friday with later finishes,people will be taking days off for dental check ups ,large deliveries,other things you need to do on a week day that can't be done on a weekend,a four on 3 off would be a better way to go or something similar.

35 hour Monday to Friday

30 Jun 2020, 16:00

UNION JACK wrote:
1 Mon - Fri

I can imagine more sick leave if we go Monday to Friday with later finishes,people will be taking days off for dental check ups ,large deliveries,other things you need to do on a week day that can't be done on a weekend,a four on 3 off would be a better way to go or something similar.

With all due respect mate a large portion of society work a regular Mon-Fri & manage to function ok. Hey,I even used to do it myself a long,long time ago

35 hour Monday to Friday

30 Jun 2020, 16:28

UNION JACK wrote:
1 Mon - Fri

Most of businesses in all Uk are Monday to Friday so I guess most of them are expecting mail or parcels between those days also. So if it’s gonna be a national agreement has to take into consideration the nature of the business so you wont drop a day like Monday where you can make more money than Saturday, it’s simple logic!
Which company would be happy to receive either mail or parcel only 3 days a week? Less service= Less efficient=less money

As we saw in recent days if you are not essential for business you will get rid off, at this moment it’s only management positions, I bet you wouldn’t pay two people to do the same exact job?(considering the fact that be a manager As job it’s not physically demanding so you got less risk to get injured,and I guess if you got injured to do paperwork you need your brain not specifically your body) but as we going on would be the case of mail centre jobs to get to the next phase of redundancy.

Delivery will always exist as you need to be quick/efficient/reliable as our competitors are watching our next bad step.

35 hour Monday to Friday

30 Jun 2020, 17:59

Cedar_Room wrote:
UNION JACK wrote:
1 Mon - Fri

With all due respect mate a large portion of society work a regular Mon-Fri & manage to function ok. Hey,I even used to do it myself a long,long time ago

With due respect i use to work a monday to friday job too and sick was through the roof people used it as extra leave and when i said a 4 on 3 off i meant a 2 shift system like in manufacturing so monday to saturday would always be covered ,i could also see a 6 to 2 and a 2 to 10 for parcel deliveries working aswell,the shift patterns are endless,but if Royal Mail don't invest large sums like other carriers they will never make large profits,lets be honest we are 10 years behind all other parcel carriers and lets be honest if we were to choose a company to deliver your parcel Royal Mail would be at the bottom of the list ,we know we work for them. Great at delivering letters but s--t at parcels.

35 hour Monday to Friday

30 Jun 2020, 19:29

UNION JACK wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:
UNION JACK wrote:
1 Mon - Fri

With due respect i use to work a monday to friday job too and sick was through the roof people used it as extra leave and when i said a 4 on 3 off i meant a 2 shift system like in manufacturing so monday to saturday would always be covered ,i could also see a 6 to 2 and a 2 to 10 for parcel deliveries working aswell,the shift patterns are endless,but if Royal Mail don't invest large sums like other carriers they will never make large profits,lets be honest we are 10 years behind all other parcel carriers and lets be honest if we were to choose a company to deliver your parcel Royal Mail would be at the bottom of the list ,we know we work for them. Great at delivering letters but s--t at parcels.

Couldn’t disagree more with the last point. If you asked 100 people on the street who they used for delivering parcels I’m pretty sure a very healthy percentage would say RM. Whether or not we retain their business over the next decade is the big question

35 hour Monday to Friday

30 Jun 2020, 19:50

Cedar_Room wrote:
UNION JACK wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:
UNION JACK wrote:
1 Mon - Fri

Couldn’t disagree more with the last point. If you asked 100 people on the street who they used for delivering parcels I’m pretty sure a very healthy percentage would say RM. Whether or not we retain their business over the next decade is the big question

Couldn't disagree more with your point the only service we can guarantee is special delivery and then we can only say before 1pm nearly all other companies give you a time slot and a service to change delivery day and location ,you can even see them on their rounds and where they are on the map with Royal mail it could arrive today could be tomorrow who knows ,even the tracked items can get left behind in the offices or brought back with cut offs,you truly are deluded,we will have to get that question on pointless.

Previous page Next page

Page 4 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4