not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Update

15 May 2020, 22:53

Mark_F wrote:
Martin Walsh wrote:So with letters , if individuals don’t think letters have gone down by a third than why is every advertising Mail consultancy predicting that advertising Mail will decline for the first time in 10 years ?

Manufacturers that have been shut down have nothing to sell.

Shops that were closed and have no online presence did not know when they would be open for business. Those with an online presence focused online, given people under lockdown are only able to "shop" online it would seem that online advertising (and paying to move up the google search list) would be the way to go due to increased online traffic.

Companies that had advertising planned before this situation arose, in hindsight, thought it may have looked bad advertising "56 toilet rolls for £X" when customers turning up could buy 12 maximum, or thought it may seem iffy advertising their end of life services in the early stages of a lockdown during a global pandemic.

Advertising mail dropping should be no surprise given recent circumstances.

As for volumes of actual mail (the addressed kind), the office I work from looks like they're stocking up on all the paper they can find. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if one or two frames broke through the floor, and then there's the parcel backlogs. Some of these walks were made much worse by that dropping of Sat mail, others were completing up until that change and now cannot.

It sounds like my office but the arguments above sound that only certain offices are seeing an increase in packages and mail. I deliver to the most deprived areas in the area I work and they are not lagging behind in parcel deliveries. If anything they are worse. I think its too be expected a drop in advertising mail due the current circumstances but when things start opening again surely business will ramp up the advertising.

Martin walsh made a point that if we don't think we are facing serious issues in the future we are wrong etc and if it wasn't for the union royal mail would not have backed away from the 5 day week. I'm not criticising him, but are we not delivering mail on a 5 day week still ? And if there are serious issues in the future is it not better to recognise them and possibly think 6 day delivery is not sustainable and may be the downfall of the whole company ? Come up with another plan that maybe does work and minimises job losses.

Update

15 May 2020, 23:36

hero22 wrote:It sounds like my office but the arguments above sound that only certain offices are seeing an increase in packages and mail. I deliver to the most deprived areas in the area I work and they are not lagging behind in parcel deliveries. If anything they are worse. I think its too be expected a drop in advertising mail due the current circumstances but when things start opening again surely business will ramp up the advertising.

Martin walsh made a point that if we don't think we are facing serious issues in the future we are wrong etc and if it wasn't for the union royal mail would not have backed away from the 5 day week. I'm not criticising him, but are we not delivering mail on a 5 day week still ? And if there are serious issues in the future is it not better to recognise them and possibly think 6 day delivery is not sustainable and may be the downfall of the whole company ? Come up with another plan that maybe does work and minimises job losses.

I fully understand that the circumstances of my office aren't representative of everywhere, but for that to apply it must also be accepted that the national figures also are not representative everywhere.

Then there's the fact that some things that are being said should be no surprise whatsoever due to the lockdown, and they don't necessarily represent more "normal" effects that we'd see in the near term (due to different, unique, causes). Time will tell what happens with advertising as things move forward.

I do understand we are, and will continue to face challanges. I just don't see how a blanket policy that is detrimental to the operation of some offices can be applied everywhere with no consideration for localised circumstances (not the unions doing), so I'm just giving voice to the perspective whereby the national picture isn't even close to the reality of my local office which is why some don't accept the figures given.

I don't get enough information or have enough expertise to even consider trying to formulate any kind of plan, and I recognise that. I doubt there is a one size fits all solution (which is the impression I've been given the company is pushing for).

Update

18 May 2020, 20:01

I'm just wondering why revenue didn't go up in line with the volume? I'm not talking profits, just revenue. Surely the figures quoted means we are delivering an awful lot of packets for free. Are these 'loss leaders' to gain business? Let's hope the interim CEO can sort this out as he is the current CFO, he should be good with numbers.
It's a major screw up through when volumes are up 31% (officially) and revenue for that 31% increase amounts to a 22% increase. Something doesn't add up.

Update

08 Jun 2020, 14:02

rambo1 wrote:It's a major screw up through when volumes are up 31% (officially) and revenue for that 31% increase amounts to a 22% increase. Something doesn't add up.

I would speculate that because the revenue for each individual item is not identical (we get more revenue for a a large parcel than for a small packet), then a big increase in small packets and only a modest increase in large items could easily explain how total revenue does not necessarily increase at the same percentage as volume.
If we’d had a disproportionate increase in high-revenue items, then it follows that revenue gains could outstrip the percentage increase in volumes...

Update

08 Jun 2020, 16:08

It's also possible that many of our larger customers like Boots and John Lewis don't necessarily pay immediately they send a parcel.

They will be account customers, they might settle their account every month, every 3 months, 6 months in arrears... who knows?

Revenue is only revenue when you have the money in hand.

Update

12 Jun 2020, 16:36

If parcels are up 31% and revenue is only up 22% on those parcels it simply proves how inefficient we are.

We spend so much time and money extracting and storing 2c parcels in the Mail Centre.

We have far too many parcel streams.

SD
Tracked 24
Tracked 48
1st Parcels (PPI, Meter, Horizon, Stamped)
2nd Parcels (PPI, Meter, Horizon, Stamped)
Plus all the various MOR.
Tracked Oversize
1c Oversize
2c Oversize
Oh and a PSM

Then you have the inward set up.

Why can’t our hand held scanners scan all mail and recognise its stream from the barcode. That way we could sort all of the outward in one work area.

We need to renegotiate with the regulator. To merge 1c and 2c into a standard class.

Its lunacy how we operate in our mail centres. The amount of double/triple/quadruple handling is criminal.

Update

12 Jun 2020, 18:22

manchesterpunk wrote:If parcels are up 31% and revenue is only up 22% on those parcels it simply proves how inefficient we are.

We spend so much time and money extracting and storing 2c parcels in the Mail Centre.

We have far too many parcel streams.

SD
Tracked 24
Tracked 48
1st Parcels (PPI, Meter, Horizon, Stamped)
2nd Parcels (PPI, Meter, Horizon, Stamped)
Plus all the various MOR.
Tracked Oversize
1c Oversize
2c Oversize
Oh and a PSM

Then you have the inward set up.

Why can’t our hand held scanners scan all mail and recognise its stream from the barcode. That way we could sort all of the outward in one work area.

We need to renegotiate with the regulator. To merge 1c and 2c into a standard class.

Its lunacy how we operate in our mail centres. The amount of double/triple/quadruple handling is criminal.

There's a lot more packets with 2D barcodes on, maybe RM should work with the Mail Union (or whatever it's called) to get every item of mail that isn't a letter or flat to have a 2D barcode on it.

Over time (long term) Tracked 24 will completely replace 1C and Tracked 48 will completely replace 2C

Update

13 Jun 2020, 09:54

Standard Class next day delivery ( Day B ) in the Mail Center collection area , Day C for the rest

Update

13 Jun 2020, 11:20

wallan wrote:Standard Class next day delivery ( Day B ) in the Mail Center collection area , Day C for the rest

So as an example, Birmingham mail centre separates B postcode area from the mail that they collect and aims to deliver this the next working day (B), the rest of the mail for the UK is delivered the day after(C)? So first and second class mail no longer exist?

Update

13 Jun 2020, 13:49

Deadly wrote:
wallan wrote:Standard Class next day delivery ( Day B ) in the Mail Center collection area , Day C for the rest

So as an example, Birmingham mail centre separates B postcode area from the mail that they collect and aims to deliver this the next working day (B), the rest of the mail for the UK is delivered the day after(C)? So first and second class mail no longer exist?

Intra mail used to get processed separately in MCs up until must be 6-7 years ago and was dispatched separately, remember the pink labels

Update

13 Jun 2020, 14:28

Birmingham also process,s WR /HR , so items for those area,s would also get next day delivery

Update

14 Jun 2020, 09:40

There are still local newspaper title articles popping up on Google news stating during the trial for the five day week that we did not work on Saturdays. This is factually incorrect and should be refuted by the union in the press as it makes RM out to be considerate and honest employers. They are still far from being this.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2