not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Update

15 May 2020, 13:09

Over the last week talks between the CWU and Royal Mail have intensified.

They reached an interim position which was announced to the stock market today and that is that all Royal Mail group employees will receive £200 COVID 19 payment which is pro rata to part timers.

Additionally the company announced that Rico Back has left the business with immediate effect.

Stuart Simpson would be the interim CEO and Keith Williams the Chair would takes a more hands on approach with Royal Mail.

Talks will continue between Royal Mail and the CWU next week concerning the issues in the dispute , our pay award and the challenging financial position of the business from the COVID reduction in letters which are down by 33% . Remember Royal Mail make approximately 55 pence profit on a machinable letter , whereas due to competition they need to increase by 3 parcels to make the same profit.

Parcels are up by 31 percent. However due to the decline in letters , revenue was down by 22 million in April alone.

Update

15 May 2020, 13:56

I would estimate parcels on my delivery and in our large office as a whole have increased at least 150%, absolutely mountains every day. No way 31%.

Update

15 May 2020, 14:10

Could start with the regulator stopping the strangulation of royal mail and letting the likes of Hermes and dpd etc doing what the hell they like? They chuck the parcels any were they feel fit not necessarily at the right address we as much as get a letter wet and all hell brakes loose and we have to show our performance and failure rate they don't so all this unfair competition need to stop we need an even playing field!!! :hmmmm

Update

15 May 2020, 14:26

Downstream access cherry picking from the likes of UKmail etc should be brought to an end and see how they fare on a level playing field.

Update

15 May 2020, 14:27

dwob wrote:I would estimate parcels on my delivery and in our large office as a whole have increased at least 150%, absolutely mountains every day. No way 31%.

On an average Sunday night into Monday, my office used to get 10 or 11 red sleeve yorks of packets, 2 or 3 oversize packet yorks and up to 10 yorks of tracked. The past few weeks we have received 55-60 yorks, red sleeves and tracked combined. Almost 3 times the usual! Almost every night is like this.

Oh and almost every single yorks has about 50 of those annoying small international packets :evil/mad

Update

15 May 2020, 14:33

Does this mean that recruitment/transfers will be back up and running soon?

Update

15 May 2020, 15:19

Remember Royal Mail make approximately 55 pence profit on a machinable letter

No I don't 'remember'.
I do remember both the union and the business telling us for years that the letters side was loss making and the profit from DSA which is the bulk of machinable letters was pennies.

Suddenly letters are king because why Martin?
Is the pay offer going to be that bad that we're already lining up excuses?

Update

15 May 2020, 15:36

3 months silence from our favourite Divisional Rep and then he pipes up with the bad news.
So what now?

Update

15 May 2020, 17:12

Letters down 33%..

Well it doesn't feel like it. Maybe because I'm now delivering flats which would normally be going to a business but now it's going to their home addresses.

Something is wrong somewhere. It's time UKMAIL lose their access.

UK GOVERNMENT NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO SAVE A GREAT INSTITUITION. GIVE ROYAL MAIL THE MONOPOLY ON LETTERS BACK AND HOLD THE OTHER COURIERS ACCOUNTABLE TO THE SAME STANDARDS THAT WE ARE.

Or it will be lost forever!!

Update

15 May 2020, 17:16

So the parcel side which Rico wanted us to get balls deep into is not actually that profitable where as the letter side he wanted away with now is? Something isn’t adding up here.

Update

15 May 2020, 17:54

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:So the parcel side which Rico wanted us to get balls deep into is not actually that profitable where as the letter side he wanted away with now is? Something isn’t adding up here.

I think the 55p profit per letter is on stamped mail, which are as rare as rocking horse s**t generally (though i do think i have noted a slight increase recently) I dont think anybody can argue that letters are in decline

Update

15 May 2020, 19:08

doing away with down stream access and a reversal of GDPR would help surely?

Update

15 May 2020, 19:34

Joe B wrote:and a reversal of GDPR would help surely?

Not sure that's doable as GLS operate in Europe and are part of the Royal Mail Group

Update

15 May 2020, 19:40

Parcels up 33%.? Is there not a regulator or some method in place to check if this is true ? Seems like parcels in my office are at least double if not treble every single day. And mail seems as heavy as ever.

Update

15 May 2020, 19:47

Parcels are up by 31 percent, that's the funniest thing ive heard in years ,if I had heard it from Rico fair enough,but coming from a union man unreal,,been averaging around 5-6 packet bags every day for weeks and at least 3 times oversize,and mines not the worst walk in office by a long chalk.
Last edited by stodgy88 on 15 May 2020, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Update

15 May 2020, 20:18

stodgy88 wrote:Parcels are up by 31 percent, that's the funniest thing ive heard in years ,if I had heard it from Rico fair enough,but coming from a union man unreal,,been averaging around 5-6 packet pages every day for weeks and at least 3 times oversize,and mines not the worst walk in office by a long chalk.

don't think i've had a slack day in 6wks, bearing in mind we should be light on everything and lapsing more this time of the year, obviously every office varies but we've had no agency or guys from other offices but got overtime galore, even saturdays , just cannot see how we lost money with the traffic coming through
overtime will ramp up even more for a week or so with more people out working and more 739's written
usually getting 2 or 3 a day, must be 15 today

Update

15 May 2020, 20:50

Let’s be clear the last few weeks parcels and tracked have been increased massively. However not everywhere in the UK has seen massive increases in parcels , there are lots of areas which sadly do not see the same percentage increase in parcels because they are in deprived areas. These are national figures.

So with letters , if individuals don’t think letters have gone down by a third than why is every advertising Mail consultancy predicting that advertising Mail will decline for the first time in 10 years ?

Other factors which needs to be taken into account that one stage over 22% of staff were sick , so naturally the remaining staff would have had to do the work which would normally have been done by others. Sickness levels are around 10% which is still above normal levels and this is very localised.

I am happy to argue that our members are working harder than they were before the COVID 19 due to the increased levels of parcels , tracked , the increase in sick leave and the measures which have been put in as a result of social distancing. This is why the CWU have secured the COVID payment.

However if anyone believes that we don’t fact huge challenges if the letter traffic does not return than they are kidding themselves. Why do you think Royal Mail Made the move on the 5 day service which the union that forced them to step back from ?

Update

15 May 2020, 21:10

Martin Walsh wrote:This is why the CWU have secured the COVID payment.

Why do you think Royal Mail Made the move on the 5 day service which the union that forced them to step back from ?

so the covid payment will be paid pro-rata based on actual hours worked, i.e a PT whose regularly done over 38hrs p/w?
i'm FT but will be a real kick in the teeth for some very good posties, it maybe only £30 or so difference but in principle it doesn't sit well with me, and i'd be more than happy if the CWU set up a one off charity for us all to donate to

and until they actually step back from the temporary 5 day USO i'll reserve my judgement as i don't trust them one bit

Update

15 May 2020, 21:55

Martin Walsh wrote:Let’s be clear the last few weeks parcels and tracked have been increased massively. However not everywhere in the UK has seen massive increases in parcels , there are lots of areas which sadly do not see the same percentage increase in parcels because they are in deprived areas. These are national figures.

I deliver to some of the most deprived areas in the UK and some very affluent areas too and the deprived areas are equally as bad with packets as any other area. What a load of nonsense. Obviously the Union have disappointing news coming for us?

Update

15 May 2020, 21:58

Martin Walsh wrote:So with letters , if individuals don’t think letters have gone down by a third than why is every advertising Mail consultancy predicting that advertising Mail will decline for the first time in 10 years ?

Manufacturers that have been shut down have nothing to sell.

Shops that were closed and have no online presence did not know when they would be open for business. Those with an online presence focused online, given people under lockdown are only able to "shop" online it would seem that online advertising (and paying to move up the google search list) would be the way to go due to increased online traffic.

Companies that had advertising planned before this situation arose, in hindsight, thought it may have looked bad advertising "56 toilet rolls for £X" when customers turning up could buy 12 maximum, or thought it may seem iffy advertising their end of life services in the early stages of a lockdown during a global pandemic.

Advertising mail dropping should be no surprise given recent circumstances.

As for volumes of actual mail (the addressed kind), the office I work from looks like they're stocking up on all the paper they can find. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if one or two frames broke through the floor, and then there's the parcel backlogs. Some of these walks were made much worse by that dropping of Sat mail, others were completing up until that change and now cannot.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2