not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Can and want to work for Royal Mail

09 Mar 2020, 21:05

I agree £9.50 is better than most couriers pay but the advert I found says mail delivery also which as we all know is a totally different ball game

09 Mar 2020, 21:14

@Ssdd Maybe the turnover of drivers in these companies is high paying under £10 an hour for living in a wagon all week, but there still manage to fill the vacancies even with all the hassle/responsibility of driving 44tonnes of whatever around the country.

09 Mar 2020, 21:16

mightyowler wrote:@Ssdd Maybe the turnover of drivers in these companies is high paying under £10 an hour for living in a wagon all week, but there still manage to fill the vacancies even with all the hassle/responsibility of driving 44tonnes of whatever around the country.

And why do you think they're always advertising?

09 Mar 2020, 21:42

ssdd wrote:
mightyowler wrote:@Ssdd Maybe the turnover of drivers in these companies is high paying under £10 an hour for living in a wagon all week, but there still manage to fill the vacancies even with all the hassle/responsibility of driving 44tonnes of whatever around the country.

It could be for many reasons but more than likely because new drivers will use these companies to gain experience then move on to better paid jobs. So these companies will always be advertising for when the inevitable occurs.

Even after the financial outlay to gain a class 1 license, people will stomach the s###e wages to gain hours on a tacho.

But driving a van needs no experience nor the initial parting of £2500. Royal Mail offering £9.50 an hour will still make it an attractive wage to someone working for a rival driving vans.

09 Mar 2020, 21:59

Manboat wrote:Not sure if this has been talked about on here already but what do people think "the can and want to work for Royal Mail" statement is getting at. My interpretation for the "want"is that the job could be become so unbearable with being tracked and hassled that they know people might not wanna hang about but the "can" I'm not so sure about, possibly later starts and finishes which wont suit people who pick kids up but apart from that I really dont know, any ideas.

Royal Mail are planning big changes and they are aware that these won't be for everyone. Things like changes in working hours, flexible shift patterns, working different duties at short notice, being expected to work to targets etc etc

09 Mar 2020, 22:19

mightyowler wrote:
ssdd wrote:

It could be for many reasons but more than likely because new drivers will use these companies to gain experience then move on to better paid jobs. So these companies will always be advertising for when the inevitable occurs.

Even after the financial outlay to gain a class 1 license, people will stomach the s###e wages to gain hours on a tacho.

But driving a van needs no experience nor the initial parting of £2500. Royal Mail offering £9.50 an hour will still make it an attractive wage to someone working for a rival driving vans.

I agree with your points entirely. But it would be hard to stomach for already hard working posties. Why should we accept less and be expected to work harder?
It's a tough job market out there, but it's one that's been contrived by the powers that be.
I'm not happy with the ones at the top grossly profiting at our expense!
If you take what you're saying and apply it to Royal Mail, this could be the case too, and a point I've raised in other threads. That is, the RM of the future may well have a high turnover of staff with reduced quality of service.

10 Mar 2020, 09:39

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Sugar wrote:
Deadly wrote:Royal Mail seem to have started handing out plenty of VRs in mail centres so maybe that's the "want" part. The "can" part is a bit more worrying.

The "can" part seems to imply more people being medically /ill health retired one way or another. Both those are much cheaper ways of cutting the workforce down than paying EVR.

I mentioned this to some of my colleagues the other day. They were saying that if they were offered VR they'd jump at it ... No Problem :thumbup I pointed out that who is to say Royal Mail would offer VR to those wanting it? As you say Sugar they are cheaper ways of getting rid of a workforce. All you have to do is keep turning up the pressure, changing working practices & start times, with a bit of Bullying & Harrassment thrown in and you'll soon have Posties handing their notice in and looking for a job with less hassle. :hmmmm

I believe one thing you can take for granted with Royal Mail is: Whenever you think you've got an idea of how things are going to work out for us ... they'll ALLWAYs surprise you by putting a different twist on it! :cuppa

Very true and have had an area rep refer to the last quarter of the financial year as "sacking season". The atmosphere has become so toxic within DO's that it doesn't take much to end up on a conduct for minor issues and as you say, they turn up the pressure, more mistakes follow and you're out the door.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2