not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Can and want to work for Royal Mail

09 Mar 2020, 08:44

Not sure if this has been talked about on here already but what do people think "the can and want to work for Royal Mail" statement is getting at. My interpretation for the "want"is that the job could be become so unbearable with being tracked and hassled that they know people might not wanna hang about but the "can" I'm not so sure about, possibly later starts and finishes which wont suit people who pick kids up but apart from that I really dont know, any ideas.

09 Mar 2020, 08:53

Manboat wrote:Not sure if this has been talked about on here already but what do people think "the can and want to work for Royal Mail" statement is getting at. My interpretation for the "want"is that the job could be become so unbearable with being tracked and hassled that they know people might not wanna hang about but the "can" I'm not so sure about, possibly later starts and finishes which wont suit people who pick kids up but apart from that I really dont know, any ideas.

Its something I raised on here a few months ago when they started dropping it into their WTL and propaganda releases. It hasnt been expanded upon and its one thing I would want the union to get clarification on.

09 Mar 2020, 09:13

It's very strange and worrying wording isn't it and with them throwing it about fairly frequently I feel it may become a big part of naturally getting rid of people alongside vr's. Suppose only time will tell what exactly it means to us but it definitely sounds part of a plan to make it awkward for people.

09 Mar 2020, 10:20

Royal Mail seem to have started handing out plenty of VRs in mail centres so maybe that's the "want" part. The "can" part is a bit more worrying.

09 Mar 2020, 10:57

Deadly wrote:Royal Mail seem to have started handing out plenty of VRs in mail centres so maybe that's the "want" part. The "can" part is a bit more worrying.

The "can" part seems to imply more people being medically /ill health retired one way or another. Both those are much cheaper ways of cutting the workforce down than paying EVR.

09 Mar 2020, 12:11

Sugar wrote:
Deadly wrote:Royal Mail seem to have started handing out plenty of VRs in mail centres so maybe that's the "want" part. The "can" part is a bit more worrying.

The "can" part seems to imply more people being medically /ill health retired one way or another. Both those are much cheaper ways of cutting the workforce down than paying EVR.

"Can," could also suggest meeting work-related targets. "Can" deliver X amounts per hour etc.

09 Mar 2020, 13:53

Also doesn't actually state just where the jobs will be for those who ''can and want to work for RM''

When we had our talk from a RM bigwig he said there will be jobs for all who ''can and want'' them but not necessarily at our current D.O. Presumably he's also said the same thing to other staff at the 2 nearest D.O's to ours... 20 and 30 miles away.

So just where will these jobs be?

The nearest MC or Parcel Hub? (Which are over 70 miles away).

09 Mar 2020, 14:55

Sugar wrote:

I mentioned this to some of my colleagues the other day. They were saying that if they were offered VR they'd jump at it ... No Problem :thumbup I pointed out that who is to say Royal Mail would offer VR to those wanting it? As you say Sugar they are cheaper ways of getting rid of a workforce. All you have to do is keep turning up the pressure, changing working practices & start times, with a bit of Bullying & Harrassment thrown in and you'll soon have Posties handing their notice in and looking for a job with less hassle. :hmmmm

I believe one thing you can take for granted with Royal Mail is: Whenever you think you've got an idea of how things are going to work out for us ... they'll ALLWAYs surprise you by putting a different twist on it! :cuppa

09 Mar 2020, 15:44

I'd suggest that RM's ultimate objective for 'can' so far as delivery goes is:

1- be available five out of six (or seven if things change as I expect they may) days a week for a continuous 8 hour (or thereabouts) shift either starting at 8 (-ish) or finishing at 7 ( -ish), so roughly 8-4 or 11-7
2 -be able to drive for RM

and 'want' will mean accepting the above.

09 Mar 2020, 17:35

If by "can and want to work for Royal Mail" means they will make the job so unbearable and or change it that drastically people will resign on mass, Surely that amounts to constructive dismissal on a huge scale?

09 Mar 2020, 18:20

I said it before on another thread, but I think it may be along the lines of:

...a job for those who CAN (manage a 5 hour+ delivery span) and WANT (to accept the reduced terms and conditions) to work for Royal Mail.

09 Mar 2020, 18:30

Unfortunately there's some very bleak scenarios we've came up with which although could make people want out would certainly stop people wanting in, could end up as the worst delivery company out the lot if they get too much of their own way, let's hope we can stop them in their tracks before they ruin this great company's reputation that we've all worked so hard to build.

09 Mar 2020, 18:42

Ren Hoëk wrote:If by "can and want to work for Royal Mail" means they will make the job so unbearable and or change it that drastically people will resign on mass, Surely that amounts to constructive dismissal on a huge scale?

I have wondered about that. They can’t exactly say “you have to be able drive for us immediately or you’re sacked!” to people who haven’t been able or required to up until that point. Yet I’m not sure there would be anything stopping them from changing the job to the extent that non-driving roles effectively don't exist and saying that employees whose roles have been erased 'can', if they 'want', remain with Royal Mail on an 8 hour contract at the nearest mail centre or MDEC...

Working hours will be much easier to change immediately. Job's still there, they'll say there’s the option to apply for flexible working per UK law, but have no obligation to accept if it doesn’t square with 'business needs'.
Last edited by FacesOfStone on 09 Mar 2020, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

09 Mar 2020, 18:49

Manboat wrote:Unfortunately there's some very bleak scenarios we've came up with which although could make people want out would certainly stop people wanting in, could end up as the worst delivery company out the lot if they get too much of their own way, let's hope we can stop them in their tracks before they ruin this great company's reputation that we've all worked so hard to build.

Well when they're CURRENTLY advertising for POSTAL DELIVERY DRIVERS at £9.50 per hour to cover the fictitious "Easter Peak Period", I'm not sure I agree. Oh, and that's working between the hours of 11am to 9pm!
I'm with you on your other points though.
Screenshot_2020-03-09-17-46-43.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

09 Mar 2020, 19:25

ssdd wrote:
Manboat wrote:Unfortunately there's some very bleak scenarios we've came up with which although could make people want out would certainly stop people wanting in, could end up as the worst delivery company out the lot if they get too much of their own way, let's hope we can stop them in their tracks before they ruin this great company's reputation that we've all worked so hard to build.

Well when they're CURRENTLY advertising for POSTAL DELIVERY DRIVERS at £9.50 per hour to cover the fictitious "Easter Peak Period", I'm not sure I agree. Oh, and that's working between the hours of 11am to 9pm!

Think they may have a rethink after a few days of doing the job, I'm sure they'll realise it would be better to be on minimum wage doing parcels only than £9.50 and expected to walk 5 hours a day for it.
Last edited by Manboat on 09 Mar 2020, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

09 Mar 2020, 19:43

Manboat wrote:
ssdd wrote:

Screenshot_2020-03-09-17-46-43.png

I wonder if they think theyll just be delivering parcels as £9.50 maybe better than most other parcel companies pay but when they have to put a 10 mile shift in on foot they may just realise what all the fuss is about.

They were not allowed to touch letters at Xmas, they were taking full York’s of parcels out and bringing most of it back. The 21:00 finish should show us what there future plans are

09 Mar 2020, 19:58

£9.50 for driving a van is decent money when you compare it against what the rivals pay.

Some companies only pay £9.50 for class 1 tramping work, so I very much doubt RM would struggle to fill these vacancies tbh.

09 Mar 2020, 20:07

You are not allowed to recruit strike breakers and that's the law if it is an official industrial dispute.

09 Mar 2020, 20:16

Phantom wrote:You are not allowed to recruit strike breakers and that's the law if it is an official industrial dispute.

They are needed to help us with Easter pressure apparently. Even though we don’t deliver parcels late into the evening.

09 Mar 2020, 20:46

@gary1975 They were delivering mail here over Christmas! You can bet RM will try to get away with it again. You've hit the nail on the head in saying it shows what the future plans are.

@mightyowler But they might struggle to employ and retain Class 1 trampers at £9.50ph

@Phantom It appears there may be a loophole if the employees are employed BY the business and not an agency.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2