not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Will the Gov intoduce new law to stop our strike?

08 Mar 2020, 21:18

Just airing thoughts I have been having recently with the increasing spread of the Coronavirus.
Once we get our 2nd vote strike mandate, do you think that the likes of Rico Back will lobby and or collude with the government to bring in some form of emergency legislation citing the virus as reason to stop us striking? Also what might be the public perception, were we to go ahead with strikes. Personally I think we could be in trouble either way, especially if the outbreak gets bad. Has the Union considered this dimension do you think? Interested to know your thoughts ?

08 Mar 2020, 22:58

I'm not going to strike for my own reasons but from what I have heard from friends and in the local community there is not alot of sympathy for a strike..

08 Mar 2020, 23:21

bunji wrote:I'm not going to strike for my own reasons but from what I have heard from friends and in the local community there is not alot of sympathy for a strike..

Why do we need sympathy?
We are no longer tax payer funded

08 Mar 2020, 23:24

I don't know but I think the companies who are making sanitiser gel must be rubbing their hands together :chuckle

We have seen in the past that the Royal Mail will do anything to try and stop us striking although Hermes have apparently set up a £1 million fund for its self employed workers if they need to self isolate in response to the virus.

I don't think the public will sympathize with us given the current economic climate,they will probably think we are already well paid and the company haven't said compulsory job losses. But we are not a public company anymore, its all about profits for the shareholders and they ain't going to get those when half your workforce ain't there.

08 Mar 2020, 23:47

postslippete wrote:I don't know but I think the companies who are making sanitiser gel must be rubbing their hands together :chuckle

Yeah, they're cleaning up in more ways than one... :chuckle

The timing of this virus is unbelievable and I hope it doesn't affect any part of our dispute. What the public/press need to know is that the company is threatening to put unachievable workloads onto employees whilst slashing our terms and conditions, and that the pay offer is a distraction from the real issues of the dispute.

09 Mar 2020, 00:01

Short answer is NO the coronavirus will not be a reason to stop industrial action.
The planned strike last Xmas obviously couldn't go ahead because it would have prevented a democratic general election. The union hotheads gave RM the ammunition to stop the strike but it would have been stopped anyway .

09 Mar 2020, 06:46

bunji wrote:I'm not going to strike for my own reasons but from what I have heard from friends and in the local community there is not alot of sympathy for a strike..

joined 25 feb says it all :thumbdown :wave :wave :wave :wave

09 Mar 2020, 09:51

hans solo wrote:

joined 25 feb says it all :thumbdown :wave :wave :wave :wave

It does - if you can't be arsed to read the year after that date.

09 Mar 2020, 11:54

Strike breakers gonna scab.

09 Mar 2020, 12:52

If this Covid-19 thing escalates suspension of mail deliveries is a distinct possibility ? If we cannot get back around the table with RMG and sort things out strike action will be almost inevitable ? The two ( a suspension of deliveries to contain pandemic and measured Industrial action) will cause chaos to all. A perfect storm is brewing ? ? ?

09 Mar 2020, 23:56

Decky Boy wrote:If this Covid-19 thing escalates suspension of mail deliveries is a distinct possibility ? If we cannot get back around the table with RMG and sort things out strike action will be almost inevitable ? The two ( a suspension of deliveries to contain pandemic and measured Industrial action) will cause chaos to all. A perfect storm is brewing ? ? ?

We are perfect spreaders of communicative diseases.

10 Mar 2020, 06:43

Unfortunately I think events outside our control have made the idea of striking ridiculous.

The potential financial impact this virus will have on the company could throw the plans of both the union and the business into disarray.

It would perhaps be sensible for both parties to get around the table and discuss how best to protect the company in the long term.

Before anyone starts I'm not a manager and this isn't a judgement on either position, it's just a realisation that we're in the middle of a shitstorm.

10 Mar 2020, 12:24

Woody Guthrie wrote:Unfortunately I think events outside our control have made the idea of striking ridiculous.

The potential financial impact this virus will have on the company could throw the plans of both the union and the business into disarray.

It would perhaps be sensible for both parties to get around the table and discuss how best to protect the company in the long term.

Before anyone starts I'm not a manager and this isn't a judgement on either position, it's just a realisation that we're in the middle of a shitstorm.

You are spot on this is not the time to strike or to make changes that are causing the vote to strike a ceasefire is a good idea.

10 Mar 2020, 19:44

so you are backing management.

10 Mar 2020, 19:46

Woody Guthrie wrote:Unfortunately I think events outside our control have made the idea of striking ridiculous.

if it goes the way they are predicting, we won't need to strike anyway. we'll all be on the sick, and the mail won't get delivered.

10 Mar 2020, 20:47

daveyeff wrote:

if it goes the way they are predicting, we won't need to strike anyway. we'll all be on the sick, and the mail won't get delivered.

The question is, do you think these events will increase or decrease Royal Mail's determination to press on with their plan? We're on the back foot as it is. CWU should be using this to gain advantage and force negotiations. If it comes to the bit, not even strikebreakers will be allowed to deliver...
I'm just offering up a thought here. I'm not necessarily saying it's the right thing to do. It's a complicated situation.

11 Mar 2020, 07:18

RTP wrote:

The union want to get round the table.

11 Mar 2020, 11:56

Flashman_ wrote:Just airing thoughts I have been having recently with the increasing spread of the Coronavirus.
Once we get our 2nd vote strike mandate, do you think that the likes of Rico Back will lobby and or collude with the government to bring in some form of emergency legislation citing the virus as reason to stop us striking? Also what might be the public perception, were we to go ahead with strikes. Personally I think we could be in trouble either way, especially if the outbreak gets bad. Has the Union considered this dimension do you think? Interested to know your thoughts ?

Seems that early potential strike dates could clash with the virus being at its peak.
Public opinion/sympathy appears to be very important to the union (rightly or wrongly) whenever you hear the top people speak so I suspect they won't go for early strike dates "in the interests of the public" and will hold fire till the virus has (hopefully) passed its peak.
Otherwise it would be portrayed as adding further misery to those already self isolating, particularly the elderly.

11 Mar 2020, 14:57

Never ever try to out members on here. The managers can try to work it out themselves, we can't stop that, but don't put a target on peoples back by identifying them in any way at all.

Even secondary or sock accounts should not be linked to other accounts for the same reason.

11 Mar 2020, 18:35

It did occur to Me.Royal Mail will present their case to the judge explaining that all the house bound elderly customers rely on the postal system and are unable to leave their homes because they are scared of the virus and don’t do texting and emailing.Quite right the judge will say let’s kick the posties “Yes” vote out again like the last one.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2