not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




Job losses

28 Feb 2020, 23:16

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ol-3895883
It's starting.

Job losses

28 Feb 2020, 23:20

postieblueshirt wrote:https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/royal-mail-announce-redundancies-bristol-3895883
It's starting.


We've already got this post my boy!

Job losses

28 Feb 2020, 23:25

postieblueshirt wrote:https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/royal-mail-announce-redundancies-bristol-3895883
It's starting.

What is evr at least 40 of them

Job losses

29 Feb 2020, 06:44

ssdd wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/royal-mail-announce-redundancies-bristol-3895883
It's starting.


We've already got this post my boy!

Ah sorry came up on my Google feed hopefully it's just the guys who want to go are affected.

Job losses

29 Feb 2020, 10:42

postieblueshirt wrote:
ssdd wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/royal-mail-announce-redundancies-bristol-3895883
It's starting.


We've already got this post my boy!

Ah sorry came up on my Google feed hopefully it's just the guys who want to go are affected.


To an extent. It looks to me like VR for the 40 permanent employees and the remaining jobs being cut via natural wastage and / or temporary staff not being renewed.

I think it’s entirely short sighted. It looks as though we're going to see things cut to the bone across the country, followed by desperate flailing as soon as sickness hits. My (small) office was struggling in that area when I joined, but is now very comfortably staffed. There are several people within a year or two of retirement and a handful more who would take VR if offered, so assuming the jobs disappear into the ether when they go, it won’t take much for panic to re-emerge.

Job losses

29 Feb 2020, 15:24

Late to the party son

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 11:32

Regarding VR, what time scale does it now cover? Few years back was quoted about 5k, which was roughly 6 months pay ( 23.5 hours)
Into the 42nd year of service...Union rep has asked if I would consider VR, now if it's 104 weeks as some would have me believe, then YESSSS!!! Show me the money and the door :nana :whistle

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 11:57

I believe if you've worked for RM over 28 years automatically get 104 weeks irrespective of age (according to ready reckoner )

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 12:41

Thanks, fingers crossed for me. Not being ignorant to the fact that redundancy is the last thing some want, especially young families with mortgages, so hopefully they'll get rid of some of us old codgers first :pray

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 12:45

in same boat,if offering the amount ive worked out will be gone in a flash, im also on 23.5 hours works out about £29,000.

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 14:52

summersunshine wrote:Regarding VR, what time scale does it now cover? Few years back was quoted about 5k, which was roughly 6 months pay ( 23.5 hours)
Into the 42nd year of service...Union rep has asked if I would consider VR, now if it's 104 weeks as some would have me believe, then YESSSS!!! Show me the money and the door :nana :whistle

You see, I totally agree with this. Many of us with years in would love to go if the figures are good. I can see why the cwu doesn't want job losses but the world is changing job losses are coming so why not take the payout? The alternative is natural wastage but it will be happening.
Disclaimer, I'm nowhere near senior enough to be offered vr so this is definitely not a " me me me" post but the guys that have been here forever have earned any pay off that comes their way.

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 15:36

ihatedogs wrote:
summersunshine wrote:Regarding VR, what time scale does it now cover? Few years back was quoted about 5k, which was roughly 6 months pay ( 23.5 hours)
Into the 42nd year of service...Union rep has asked if I would consider VR, now if it's 104 weeks as some would have me believe, then YESSSS!!! Show me the money and the door :nana :whistle

You see, I totally agree with this. Many of us with years in would love to go if the figures are good. I can see why the cwu doesn't want job losses but the world is changing job losses are coming so why not take the payout? The alternative is natural wastage but it will be happening.
Disclaimer, I'm nowhere near senior enough to be offered vr so this is definitely not a " me me me" post but the guys that have been here forever have earned any pay off that comes their way.

This ^^^^^

The union should be fighting for the current members who have paid their subs for years, many of whom would love to get VR. Instead the union want to keep up their income stream by trying to preserve jobs and hence membership numbers, but will instead kill the business off completely.

Royal Mail needs to change and is going to change regardless of whether the union likes it. They should be concentrating on getting the best outcomes for their current members (including as many VRs as possible for those that want them) - not fighting every single change.

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 17:03

Agree with the above comments. Job losses will be coming so why not give RM what they want by making sure a proper managed sensibly financed deal is put to those who want to go.

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 17:15

Schiff wrote:
ihatedogs wrote:
summersunshine wrote:Regarding VR, what time scale does it now cover? Few years back was quoted about 5k, which was roughly 6 months pay ( 23.5 hours)
Into the 42nd year of service...Union rep has asked if I would consider VR, now if it's 104 weeks as some would have me believe, then YESSSS!!! Show me the money and the door :nana :whistle

You see, I totally agree with this. Many of us with years in would love to go if the figures are good. I can see why the cwu doesn't want job losses but the world is changing job losses are coming so why not take the payout? The alternative is natural wastage but it will be happening.
Disclaimer, I'm nowhere near senior enough to be offered vr so this is definitely not a " me me me" post but the guys that have been here forever have earned any pay off that comes their way.

This ^^^^^

The union should be fighting for the current members who have paid their subs for years, many of whom would love to get VR. Instead the union want to keep up their income stream by trying to preserve jobs and hence membership numbers, but will instead kill the business off completely.

Royal Mail needs to change and is going to change regardless of whether the union likes it. They should be concentrating on getting the best outcomes for their current members (including as many VRs as possible for those that want them) - not fighting every single change.

We have been changing for the past ten years,royal mail just trashed the last agreement its not as if were not wanting to change just sick of it.

Job losses

02 Mar 2020, 22:36

Especially if letting the old dinosaurs go, will keep the younger ones employed...then it's a win win. A lot of the oldies have gone to part time, I took a buy down, then when the Royal Mail/ just call me Consignia/ no changed my mind I'm Royal Mail again,.. fiasco began, I even took my pension out in case they cocked that up, and started a new one. The money wasted in that farce was scandalous.

Job losses

03 Mar 2020, 10:39

I would be cashing the VR cheque before the ink had dried.

Job losses

03 Mar 2020, 11:39

Would you have to pay tax on all of it ???

Job losses

03 Mar 2020, 11:49

tractorboy2 wrote:Would you have to pay tax on all of it ???


Upto £30,000 would be tax free

Job losses

03 Mar 2020, 16:07

I wouldn't be too quick to presume:

1) that there will be many VRs offered in deliveries. There will be some but it might only be a very few jobs in any given office. Bristol MC seem to be offering about 40 from a thousand staff, if I read that right. That'd be about 4 posties from a delivery office of 100 . . .
2) that the VR package offered will be anywhere near as generous as the last
3) that seniority will necessarily be the basis (though it likely will be as getting rid of senior staff is what RM senior management would like)


I'd take it given a half-decent package, if offered, but I'm not confident that as anywhere near many people as are hoping for a golden goodbye will get it.

Job losses

03 Mar 2020, 18:50

I dont know the prodedure for who gets VR but that will be irrelevant if the strike is unsuccesful as RM will be writing a new rule book - totally on their terms, with the CWU in a siding marked redundant.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2