not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

What executive action, if any, is happening at your place?

18 Feb 2020, 16:14

leolion855 wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:Today our rep told us that the proposals in our office had been rewritten and that the DoM has backed down on 1 or 2 things. Our rep is getting the new, revised proposal tomorrow and then has been given 72 hours to I presume look through it and brief us all and he told us it's either we accept it or it will just be put in anyway. So, What if anything can we do to try and stop it? I asked about a local ballot and the rep shook his head and said no?

Nothing, posties dont run the company or make decisions, we do as we are told to do like every other factory floor worker in the land.

So why we having a national ballot?

18 Feb 2020, 16:19

smok3y666 wrote:
leolion855 wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:Today our rep told us that the proposals in our office had been rewritten and that the DoM has backed down on 1 or 2 things. Our rep is getting the new, revised proposal tomorrow and then has been given 72 hours to I presume look through it and brief us all and he told us it's either we accept it or it will just be put in anyway. So, What if anything can we do to try and stop it? I asked about a local ballot and the rep shook his head and said no?

Nothing, posties dont run the company or make decisions, we do as we are told to do like every other factory floor worker in the land.

Do you REALLY think Rico and the others are bothered either way? IF we strike for a long period theres hundreds of people in all areas of the country that will do the job for a lot less than we do, if we dont strike then things carry on as normal. The only difference will be whos delivering the mail because either way it WILL be delivered.

18 Feb 2020, 16:31

leolion855 wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

Do you REALLY think Rico and the others are bothered either way? IF we strike for a long period theres hundreds of people in all areas of the country that will do the job for a lot less than we do, if we dont strike then things carry on as normal. The only difference will be whos delivering the mail because either way it WILL be delivered.

So you'll be voting "No" then?

18 Feb 2020, 16:44

smok3y666 wrote:
leolion855 wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

So you'll be voting "No" then?

I wont be voting at all, as like ive said the union dont own the company or run it, Rico and his henchmen do and theres no way of winning against that type of management, id sooner just get to where the company want to be as quick as possible and see if we all still have jobs or if there worth having.

If not then theres loads of other employers in the big wide word ill just move on, but it would be a great shame.

18 Feb 2020, 17:22

As a union you don't look to run the company, you try to convince the employer that their plans have a far better chance of success with the staff on board and the union is the facilitator that gets the staff on board.

In return for staff engagement the union tries to get the best conditions it can for the staff, all of them non-members included.

18 Feb 2020, 17:25

Woody Guthrie wrote:As a union you don't look to run the company, you try to convince the employer that their plans have a far better chance of success with the staff on board and the union is the facilitator that gets the staff on board.

In return for staff engagement the union tries to get the best conditions it can for the staff, all of them non-members included.

Which is exactly what isnt happening now, the union have said we dont like what you want to do so we are going to suggest everyone stops working.

We all know that RM can tell some porkies but the CWU isnt telling us everything or telling us in a way that suits their vision.

18 Feb 2020, 17:35

leolion855 wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:As a union you don't look to run the company, you try to convince the employer that their plans have a far better chance of success with the staff on board and the union is the facilitator that gets the staff on board.

Which is exactly what isnt happening now, the union have said we dont like what you want to do so we are going to suggest everyone stops working.

We all know that RM can tell some porkies but the CWU isnt telling us everything or telling us in a way that suits their vision.

Relax.
This is the tub thumping brinkmanship see how high I can piss period.

It happens every time, I've been through it about 10 times now and each time it looked like the world was crashing down.
After the ballot comes the period of calm and then the closed doors secret talks, then one or both of them will threaten to walk away, ACAS will get dragged into it then at the 11th hour someone will stagger out the door covered in sweat and blood waving a piece of paper and claiming peace in our time.

It is what it is and always will be....

18 Feb 2020, 17:42

Woody Guthrie wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

Relax.

It happens every time, I've been through it about 10 times now and each time it looked like the world was crashing down.
After the ballot comes the period of calm and then the closed doors secret talks, then one or both of them will threaten to walk away, ACAS will get dragged into it then at the 11th hour someone will stagger out the door covered in sweat and blood waving a piece of paper and claiming peace in our time.

hehehe, lets just hope they get on with it cause the troops are war weary!

19 Feb 2020, 11:59

Heard a rumour they're going to/have offered VRs at Greenford and Prdc, anyone know of this?

19 Feb 2020, 21:42

TheStrangler wrote:Heard a rumour they're going to/have offered VRs at Greenford and Prdc, anyone know of this?

Heard HCN are, up here part timers are not being offered any prep O/T from next week.

19 Feb 2020, 22:09

I think quite a few of the mail centres will be offering redundancies over the next few months. A 600 driver told me his mail centre have already given some people figures to leave.

19 Feb 2020, 22:31

Deadly wrote:I think quite a few of the mail centres will be offering redundancies over the next few months. A 600 driver told me his mail centre have already given some people figures to leave.

Crazy! :crazy: If anything we need more staff, we have probably half a dozen casuals (sometimes more) on every shift, every day!

19 Feb 2020, 23:30

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Deadly wrote:I think quite a few of the mail centres will be offering redundancies over the next few months. A 600 driver told me his mail centre have already given some people figures to leave.

Crazy! :crazy: If anything we need more staff, we have probably half a dozen casuals (sometimes more) on every shift, every day!

No pension or sick pay for casuals and you can drop them whenever u want.

20 Feb 2020, 10:53

Woody Guthrie wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

Relax.

Yeah you have a valid point :hmmmm over the decades I've had a quite a few industrial action ballots and walkouts (official and unofficial) and that does on the face of it seem to happen! stroppy workforce and incompetent management is normally the route corurse most industrial unrest but I do think that the privatisation of RM has changed the management side in the fact that we have a dictatorship at the top who has been brought in by a board of investors to get as much out of the company and workforce as possible as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next company and poor souls who unfortunately happen to work for that company :pray this is a new direction for us that we have such an aggressive management in charge that unfortunately I hate to say will probably wear official industrial action its probably built into there strategy but a word of warning like Terry said we can't afford to go down the route of unofficial industrial action because that's what this aggressive management are pushing us to do and that I think will be our final nail which we put in our own coffin! I can't call this one because I've never witnessed such a nasty management as this one so I'm putting my faith in the CWU so they are getting my full backing :thumbup

22 Feb 2020, 21:25

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that, if we vote to strike AND then actually DO strike, the big institutional shareholders who have bought shares in the company since before September 2018 will finally lose patience with Rico and his cohorts. Don’t forget, some of them have bought at prices ranging from 600p all the way down to 200p, and are currently nursing losses of anything up to 70% of their investment.
I think we should be more worried about a hostile bidder trying to gain control of Royal Mail. Someone like DHL bidding even as low as the original share price would have institutional investors accepting, and cutting their losses (or, in the case of recent purchasers, a quick profit).
This, in my opinion, is a real possibility

22 Feb 2020, 21:37

Yes but any bidder will have to fulfill the USO too and I don`t think anyone will want that.

22 Feb 2020, 23:04

wandle wrote:It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that, if we vote to strike AND then actually DO strike, the big institutional shareholders who have bought shares in the company since before September 2018 will finally lose patience with Rico and his cohorts. Don’t forget, some of them have bought at prices ranging from 600p all the way down to 200p, and are currently nursing losses of anything up to 70% of their investment.
I think we should be more worried about a hostile bidder trying to gain control of Royal Mail. Someone like DHL bidding even as low as the original share price would have institutional investors accepting, and cutting their losses (or, in the case of recent purchasers, a quick profit).
This, in my opinion, is a real possibility

Unlikely about the investors. It will the Staff and the Union that will get the blame. Remenber the City hates Trade Unions.

Your 2nd point about a hostile takeover is a real possibility. Watch the share price.

22 Feb 2020, 23:08

Janet Brum wrote:Yes but any bidder will have to fulfill the USO too and I don`t think anyone will want that.

The USO is toast. Hence the " sustainable USO" from the employer. What does that mean? Well your guess is as good as mine.

23 Feb 2020, 20:58

If Royal Mail can convince Ofcom that the USO is unsustainable in the face of declining letter volumes, watch out! Any watering-down of the obligation to deliver six days a week would be disastrous for jobs... and could make Royal Mail an appetising target for any potential bidder

23 Feb 2020, 22:49

wandle wrote:If Royal Mail can convince Ofcom that the USO is unsustainable in the face of declining letter volumes, watch out! Any watering-down of the obligation to deliver six days a week would be disastrous for jobs... and could make Royal Mail an appetising target for any potential bidder

From my post in October 2019;
Terry Pullinger responded to the question - Will the business commit to you in the talks to the 6 day USO?
"No, no what they keep saying is a contemporary USO."

The decision to downgrade the USO, or otherwise, will be made by Ofcom in 2020. Royal mail have said the regulator has begun the review of the Universal service. We will actively participate in it. We will continue to deliver the USO - and will be proud to do so - whatever the outcome. Royal Mail also states ..."it's important we deliver a Universal Service that's right for customers in the 21st Century" & We will deliver the Universal Service for our country.

The recent announcement to increase the price of postage stamps - Quote Royal Mail said;
"These changes are necessary to help ensure the sustainability of the one-price-goes-anywhere Universal Service" The company said the price increases are “necessary” to ensure the sustainability of its universal service.

I was under the impression Royal Mail requested the review be brought forward from 2022.

The 2011 legislation set out Ofcom’s specific statutory duties in Part 3 of the Act, which is entitled: ‘Regulation of Postal Services’.
Subsection 1 in this Part of the Act states:
"OFCOM must carry out their functions in relation to postal services in a way that they consider will secure the provision of a universal postal service"

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4