not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

What executive action, if any, is happening at your place?

13 Feb 2020, 23:24

Bristol mc has 2 packet machines, 1 iLSM, 1 FSM, 6 Imps and 5 Css.

14 Feb 2020, 04:19

smok3y666 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:What do we mean by switching the PDA off?

Is pressing the power button to give a black screen switching it off? Or is that just power saving?

I give up.

What's with the unhelpful response?

It was a genuine question.

I'm not tech savvy and don't know the difference, I do often switch it to the black screen by pressing the on/off button as I assume that saves power if I know it's going to be a long day and there's a risk the battery will die... so is that ''switching it off'' or is that just putting it on standby/power saving mode?

14 Feb 2020, 07:29

wacko74 wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:

Is pressing the power button to give a black screen switching it off? Or is that just power saving?

I give up.

I'm not tech savvy and don't know the difference, I do often switch it to the black screen by pressing the on/off button as I assume that saves power if I know it's going to be a long day and there's a risk the battery will die... so is that ''switching it off'' or is that just putting it on standby/power saving mode?

You’re right it does save power as it turns the screen off and this is the largest drain on battery.

It doesn’t turn the PDA off though, that’s different. You have to hold the same button down to do that and select power off / shut down.

14 Feb 2020, 08:36

teesdale wrote:Bristol Mail Centre trying to push people into other areas ahead of re-alinement. Union has said nothing can change until national agreement agreed. Shift managers lent on by Mail Centre Manager to force change. Think MCm name is rob something. After all this time, this is the first time ever,I have not known the MCm name. I think he's been in post for 3 years??? Very strong Union here, but favouritism/management culture is putting up a fight.

POSTMAN EDIT : Name removed

14 Feb 2020, 13:24

In Essex they want to remove the css machines from Chelmsford and Southend delivery offices and have the work done at Chelmsford MC.

14 Feb 2020, 18:35

LaggyBand wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:

I give up.

You’re right it does save power as it turns the screen off and this is the largest drain on battery.

It doesn’t turn the PDA off though, that’s different. You have to hold the same button down to do that and select power off / shut down.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

14 Feb 2020, 19:10

wacko74 wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:

I give up.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

They go off on their own if you don't use them for a while. You won't have any problems switching the screen off. I do it automatically if I'm carrying my PDA in my pocket.

14 Feb 2020, 20:47

billie2 wrote:In Essex they want to remove the css machines from Chelmsford and Southend delivery offices and have the work done at Chelmsford MC.

I'm starting to think that RM want to remove the CSS machines from all DOs, reverting them all back to being normal DOs, moving other DOs into the freed up space and having MCs do all the sequencing (probably with wave 2 eventually being walk sort only everywhere)

14 Feb 2020, 21:57

SpacePhoenix wrote:
billie2 wrote:In Essex they want to remove the css machines from Chelmsford and Southend delivery offices and have the work done at Chelmsford MC.

I'm starting to think that RM want to remove the CSS machines from all DOs, reverting them all back to being normal DOs, moving other DOs into the freed up space and having MCs do all the sequencing (probably with wave 2 eventually being walk sort only everywhere)

That happened in our area a year or so ago, CSS machines moved out, an office closed and moved into that space. Alot of this executive action seems to be areas catching up with what has happened in other areas already. I watched a live London cwu briefing and there was lots of comments about later(7pm) starts and finishes(3pm) and long and short attendances to align with traffic arrivals, something else that we've had for a couple of years now

15 Feb 2020, 10:58

SpacePhoenix wrote:

Couldn't agree more. As you say it'll revert a lot of DO's back to normal DO's plus put as many DO's as possible into as few a buildings as they can which'll reduce the rents they pay or allow them to sell off that land. IIRC the Dutch way of working they were chasing a decade back had what remained of the F/T staff doing all the prep work indoors and P/T either picked up their delivery (full prepped) from the office or it was delivered to their homes and they worked from there. The reps back then warned staff that the Dutch had substantially less F/T staff than P/t staff and this was behind their attempts to get a grip on the F/T-P/T staff ratios in the UK to stop that happening here.

What the reps didn't count on was the staff ignoring every attempt they made to do the job correctly and stop working for free or cutting corners to finish early, in an effort to keep as many hours as possible in each office and have more P/T staff made up to F/T. Now there's a s**t storm on the horizon because of their shortsightedness and they'll expect the union to pull a miracle bunny out of the hat. Not going to happen personally, the companies played a very long game and this current board are not going to be fazed one bit by any threat of I/A.

15 Feb 2020, 15:07

NWpostie wrote:They're obviously trying their luck, I've heard this will be happening in mine, wholesale unagreed duty changes, hoping weak reps will let it in, in other offices strong reps will fight back hard, we're talking about having local strike ballot on top of the National ballot, coordinating dates for maximum impact.

How will that work NW? Surely it would be an "Unofficial Strike"? You read a lot on here about Posties simply walking out over something... is this then OKd by the Local CWU Office, or what? :hmmmm I'm only asking ... not making a Judgement Call, interested to know how it would work. I have heard of Unit Reps being suspended .... is the kind of thing that causes it? :cuppa

15 Feb 2020, 17:55

Dorset Plodder wrote:
NWpostie wrote:They're obviously trying their luck, I've heard this will be happening in mine, wholesale unagreed duty changes, hoping weak reps will let it in, in other offices strong reps will fight back hard, we're talking about having local strike ballot on top of the National ballot, coordinating dates for maximum impact.

How will that work NW? Surely it would be an "Unofficial Strike"? You read a lot on here about Posties simply walking out over something... is this then OKd by the Local CWU Office, or what? :hmmmm I'm only asking ... not making a Judgement Call, interested to know how it would work. I have heard of Unit Reps being suspended .... is the kind of thing that causes it? :cuppa

Yeah this is a thing which is popular with postman/women if they don't like something they just walk out (unofficially) its always happened in the 30+ years I've been in the job and mostly we've getting away with it in the past! But believe me with this lot at the top that will definitely change they have obviously waged a war with the union and the workforce so you walk out unofficially that will give them the ultimate ammunition to finish the union (with the help of the anti-union laws) assets will be frozen and you won't come back in until you agree to new T&C's so this time just think before you unofficially walk because this lot are not f#$king around :cuppa

15 Feb 2020, 18:27

Post69 wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:

Yeah this is a thing which is popular with postman/women if they don't like something they just walk out (unofficially) its always happened in the 30+ years I've been in the job and mostly we've getting away with it in the past! But believe me with this lot at the top that will definitely change they have obviously waged a war with the union and the workforce so you walk out unofficially that will give them the ultimate ammunition to finish the union (with the help of the anti-union laws) assets will be frozen and you won't come back in until you agree to new T&C's so this time just think before you unofficially walk because this lot are not f#$king around :cuppa

So just like every other business in the land then 'walk through the door and you aint coming back in' is standard for 90% of the population.

15 Feb 2020, 20:17

Sugar wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

Couldn't agree more. As you say it'll revert a lot of DO's back to normal DO's plus put as many DO's as possible into as few a buildings as they can which'll reduce the rents they pay or allow them to sell off that land. IIRC the Dutch way of working they were chasing a decade back had what remained of the F/T staff doing all the prep work indoors and P/T either picked up their delivery (full prepped) from the office or it was delivered to their homes and they worked from there. The reps back then warned staff that the Dutch had substantially less F/T staff than P/t staff and this was behind their attempts to get a grip on the F/T-P/T staff ratios in the UK to stop that happening here.

What the reps didn't count on was the staff ignoring every attempt they made to do the job correctly and stop working for free or cutting corners to finish early, in an effort to keep as many hours as possible in each office and have more P/T staff made up to F/T. Now there's a s**t storm on the horizon because of their shortsightedness and they'll expect the union to pull a miracle bunny out of the hat. Not going to happen personally, the companies played a very long game and this current board are not going to be fazed one bit by any threat of I/A.

Re the last paragraph, I don’t know whether this makes me laugh or annoys the f**k out of me. Don’t get me wrong Sugar it’s not just you, there are plenty on here who lay the blame of all RM’s ills at the door of the postie. What I find odd is that RM blame us for every single thing that is wrong with the company and yet the union and individuals do exactly the same. I do wonder if these paragons of virtue ever do anything ‘wrong’ themselves as all they see is what everyone else does as wrong. When you actually look at it reasonably all postman do is display normal human behaviour by trying to cut corners. We all do it day in day out in all aspects of our lives. Stop pretending you’re all holier than thou and blaming the company’s greed and behaviour on each other.

16 Feb 2020, 10:14

Hasn't this all gone off topic now.

16 Feb 2020, 16:58

Dorset Plodder wrote:

Read carefully what I said a separate official ballot for localised strikes on top of the national strike ballot. It would create staggered local official strikes on top of th national one for local issues and to break up Royal Mail national contingency plan because not all areas are going out and in at the same time

16 Feb 2020, 17:24

GRS wrote:
Sugar wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

Re the last paragraph, I don’t know whether this makes me laugh or annoys the f**k out of me. Don’t get me wrong Sugar it’s not just you, there are plenty on here who lay the blame of all RM’s ills at the door of the postie. What I find odd is that RM blame us for every single thing that is wrong with the company and yet the union and individuals do exactly the same. I do wonder if these paragons of virtue ever do anything ‘wrong’ themselves as all they see is what everyone else does as wrong. When you actually look at it reasonably all postman do is display normal human behaviour by trying to cut corners. We all do it day in day out in all aspects of our lives. Stop pretending you’re all holier than thou and blaming the company’s greed and behaviour on each other.

Always done the job as laid out and witnessed many carve it up to finish 2 or more hours early so we'll just agree to disagree.

16 Feb 2020, 20:41

NWpostie wrote:
Read carefully what I said a separate official ballot for localised strikes on top of the national strike ballot. It would create staggered local official strikes on top of th national one for local issues and to break up Royal Mail national contingency plan because not all areas are going out and in at the same time

You're right I assumed you were talking about just walking out. :d'oh! How would an Official Local Ballot work? Never heard about it before. :cuppa

18 Feb 2020, 15:37

Today our rep told us that the proposals in our office had been rewritten and that the DoM has backed down on 1 or 2 things. Our rep is getting the new, revised proposal tomorrow and then has been given 72 hours to I presume look through it and brief us all and he told us it's either we accept it or it will just be put in anyway. So, What if anything can we do to try and stop it? I asked about a local ballot and the rep shook his head and said no?

18 Feb 2020, 16:08

smok3y666 wrote:Today our rep told us that the proposals in our office had been rewritten and that the DoM has backed down on 1 or 2 things. Our rep is getting the new, revised proposal tomorrow and then has been given 72 hours to I presume look through it and brief us all and he told us it's either we accept it or it will just be put in anyway. So, What if anything can we do to try and stop it? I asked about a local ballot and the rep shook his head and said no?

Nothing, posties dont run the company or make decisions, we do as we are told to do like every other factory floor worker in the land.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4