not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Dispute Update : Today Royal Mail have announced executive action in 15 different offices across the UK.

23 Jan 2020, 17:55

We've had a 7am start in my office for over 9 years. Plenty of other offices have it as well (some slightly later, I believe). After a lot of arguing and agonising over the issue back in 2010, people who collect children from school just don't work past their finishing time. Management aren't always happy, especially during Christmas pressure, but that's their hard luck.

Dispute Update : Today Royal Mail have announced executive action in 15 different offices across the UK.

23 Jan 2020, 18:01

RM's strategy appears to be to drive the share price down and claim the business is struggling, scare everybody into accepting drastic change, and then the share price soars with renewed investor confidence.

Dispute Update

23 Jan 2020, 18:03

deltaforce wrote:
Marshamp11 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:
eldritch1987 wrote:A lot of people at Royal Mail have children to pick up after they finish school, a 7am start would give us a 3pm finish. That leaves it really tight to get back for school in time. I am not sure what they hope to achieve, it could be a case that i have to cut off regularily, but i would be cutting off half a loop or something whereas right now i never cut off as i have a 20 minute window of flexibility.

Also consider that as well as starting say an hour later potentially You May have 1/6 of another delivery added to Your route.

Adding 1/6 of a walk to a delivery is irrelevant as they could lump a whole walk onto a delivery but you only have to work to your time.

And if they walk over the union and essentially us. Then that option could be a thing of the past!

No it’s very relevant.Park and loop guys will be getting 1/6 of a walk added because You will no longer have the larger parcels to do on Your route.They will be done separately hence You will have time.Also You will no longer be sorting them in Your office

23 Jan 2020, 18:05

hero22 wrote:Is it also royal mails responsibility to create a working pattern that allows people to pick up their children ? Most of the country don't get such a luxury.

They are not creating a working pattern, we already have that. They are changing it, that is the problem. People have the responsibility of collecting their own children, that is why they chose RM, due to the attendance times, so they could fulfil their responsibilities. Just because others don’t have that “luxury”, why should we lose it. It would put additional pressure on thousands of people.

Dispute Update

23 Jan 2020, 18:22

scoobydo79 wrote:No it’s very relevant.Park and loop guys will be getting 1/6 of a walk added because You will no longer have the larger parcels to do on Your route.They will be done separately hence You will have time.Also You will no longer be sorting them in Your office

Will rurals/singletons still have to do their own oversized then?

Dispute Update

23 Jan 2020, 19:02

leolion855 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:No it’s very relevant.Park and loop guys will be getting 1/6 of a walk added because You will no longer have the larger parcels to do on Your route.They will be done separately hence You will have time.Also You will no longer be sorting them in Your office

Will rurals/singletons still have to do their own oversized then?

I’m not sure on that Leo . We don’t have many in My office.Mostly P&L pairs and HCT. I would guess no one does oversized.It will all be done by the designated drivers separately

23 Jan 2020, 20:03

I wouldnt worry to much.

Working on 20 parcels an hour (as mentioned somewhere on here before) that works out that they want us to average a parcel delivery every 3 minutes. We all know this is not possible, you can be stood at they door that long without trying neighbours.

Working on the same 20 parcels an hour, that means 160 per 7 hour shift.

In my little (non lat) office we average 35 parcels per walk x the 6 rounds they want covered = 210 parcels per oversized lat driver + the LAT parcels which we dont have, so there's 50 parcels over before the parcel driver even starts! And with us being semi urban/semi rural the figures just dont add up here at least.

I imagine the big cities to be even worse.

23 Jan 2020, 20:55

GRS wrote:I think the CWU and us members have to be careful here. It seems that the union and ourselves are just moaning and nitpicking holes in every bit of change. Yes we may not want or like change (who does?), but people moaning because they have to clock in and out or their start time might move by 30 minutes is going to come across as petty. I’m sure many people have to clock on or have their start/finish times adjusted to fit in with their employers business needs. We need to pick the real big points out and fight RM on those fronts. Reading this site there are hundreds of things people moan and winge about but you can’t call a strike on everybody’s personal gripes. As someone else has mentioned RM won’t give a damn that your kids finish school at such and such a time, and to be fair why should they. It is a parents responsibility to provide childcare for their kids not your employers.

That's all well and good saying why should they care, but at the end of the day if you have 1/5 of your workforce never being able to help out and even do 15 mins overtime then that will affect royal mail badly and also put pressure on staff.

23 Jan 2020, 21:13

GRS wrote:I think the CWU and us members have to be careful here. It seems that the union and ourselves are just moaning and nitpicking holes in every bit of change. Yes we may not want or like change (who does?), but people moaning because they have to clock in and out or their start time might move by 30 minutes is going to come across as petty. I’m sure many people have to clock on or have their start/finish times adjusted to fit in with their employers business needs. We need to pick the real big points out and fight RM on those fronts. Reading this site there are hundreds of things people moan and winge about but you can’t call a strike on everybody’s personal gripes. As someone else has mentioned RM won’t give a damn that your kids finish school at such and such a time, and to be fair why should they. It is a parents responsibility to provide childcare for their kids not your employers.

I don’t think anyone has suggested that it’s RM’s responsibility to sort childcare. It is about people choosing the line of work because it fit with their childcare needs. To change the start and finish times affects that.

24 Jan 2020, 05:38

Then unfortunately you have to make decisions. Nothing stays the same in our lives. Harsh but a fact. Sorting childcare is just one of those responsibilities that come when parents work. As some of us are saying RM won’t give a s**t about people’s responsibilities when it comes to making business decisions. Maybe that was what was behind the “ job for everyone one who wants it and can do it” quote.

24 Jan 2020, 07:49

I think that 08:00-16:00 could happen eventually for full-time DO staff, RM could have later collection times and so process more parcels

24 Jan 2020, 08:52

I think people not concerned about clocking in and out are missing the point. Royal Mail's plan is to only pay you for the hours you work, so if you come back 20 minutes early, boom, you lose 20 minutes of pay. You might think that you can string out your delivery or work slower, but again, you are being tracked every step of the way, to make sure you are earning that money.

24 Jan 2020, 09:40

GRS wrote:Then unfortunately you have to make decisions. Nothing stays the same in our lives. Harsh but a fact. Sorting childcare is just one of those responsibilities that come when parents work. As some of us are saying RM won’t give a s**t about people’s responsibilities when it comes to making business decisions. Maybe that was what was behind the “ job for everyone one who wants it and can do it” quote.

Don’t know how long you’ve been in the job but we’ve already moved to later start times on 2 seperate occasions now , where do you draw the line .Its getting to the point where the job times are completely different to what we signed up to and that’s not acceptable to thousands of people.

24 Jan 2020, 10:03

And this is were RM's use of the term "there are jobs for those who can and want to work for us" comes in.

Later start times were always on the cards it was just a case of when it was going to happen.

"Work all your contracted hours" another little gem that was in an agreement years ago and yet people still did not wise up to the fact that at some point RM would, when the technology was available, make you work every single second you are paid to work just like they do in thousands of other businesses up and down the country. How you clock in and out is another matter but if they bring in fingerprint scanning, which isn't all that expensive to do, they'll be no more getting your mate to drop you off at home and they then log you out of the PDA when they get back to the office. :no no

Should have done the job properly like the union have called for so many times because now there's data to prove, rightly or wrongly, that hours can be saved.

24 Jan 2020, 10:18

Sugar wrote:And this is were RM's use of the term "there are jobs for those who can and want to work for us" comes in.

Later start times were always on the cards it was just a case of when it was going to happen.

"Work all your contracted hours" another little gem that was in an agreement years ago and yet people still did not wise up to the fact that at some point RM would, when the technology was available, make you work every single second you are paid to work just like they do in thousands of other businesses up and down the country. How you clock in and out is another matter but if they bring in fingerprint scanning, which isn't all that expensive to do, they'll be no more getting your mate to drop you off at home and they then log you out of the PDA when they get back to the office. :no no

Should have done the job properly like the union have called for so many times because now there's data to prove, rightly or wrongly, that hours can be saved.

I believe it was the Pay & Mod agreement where job & finish was axed

24 Jan 2020, 10:32

POSTMAN wrote:
Royal Mail are paying Facebook money and supplying employees data to ensue their message gets on employees timelines.

Is this the CWU tin hat brigade, what possible employee data could they be giving to Facebook, I have a rough idea about target advertising, cookies, GDPR and advertising permissions on websites but they would or 'could' only be using keywords to target FB users for advertising purposes.

Royal Mail would not be able to give employee data for this purpose as there isn't any kind of data to give.

And the CWU complaining about Royal Mail using Facebook?? Really!
:neutral:

I think it's a combination of tin hat, a lack of understanding on how Facebook works and an attempt to stir up a bit of anti-RM feeling.

Royal Mail can't supply Facebook with employee data without their express permission, that would be blatantly unlawful for both companies.

They can obviously ask Facebook to target anyone who lists their occupation as Royal Mail or frequently mentions RM in their posts but it's a bit of a pointless approach when you can force members of staff to sit down every week and watch their crappy videos anyway

And yes complaining about the dodgy use of social media.. funny as f**k.

24 Jan 2020, 10:43

LouBarlow wrote:I think people not concerned about clocking in and out are missing the point. Royal Mail's plan is to only pay you for the hours you work, so if you come back 20 minutes early, boom, you lose 20 minutes of pay. You might think that you can string out your delivery or work slower, but again, you are being tracked every step of the way, to make sure you are earning that money.

Thing is though, isn't one of the biggest complaints on here unmanageable workloads?

Personally I'm not too worried about being paid for the hours I work, I don't expect any freebies from this mob. The question is more to do with what comes with it.

Monitoring work hours really only makes any sense with performance management, that's the really scary part the union should be asking questions about.

What standard are they going to expect us to work to and what are they going to do to the guys who can't meet that standard.

What they're certainly not going to do is pay you an extra hour because you take an hour longer than the next guy.

24 Jan 2020, 10:48

Woody Guthrie wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:I think people not concerned about clocking in and out are missing the point. Royal Mail's plan is to only pay you for the hours you work, so if you come back 20 minutes early, boom, you lose 20 minutes of pay. You might think that you can string out your delivery or work slower, but again, you are being tracked every step of the way, to make sure you are earning that money.

Thing is though, isn't one of the biggest complaints on here unmanageable workloads?

Personally I'm not too worried about being paid for the hours I work, I don't expect any freebies from this mob. The question is more to do with what comes with it.

Monitoring work hours really only makes any sense with performance management, that's the really scary part the union should be asking questions about.

What standard are they going to expect us to work to and what are they going to do to the guys who can't meet that standard.

What they're certainly not going to do is pay you an extra hour because you take an hour longer than the next guy.

I guess I am lucky then, as our office has achievable rounds that I save time on during quieter days, and that is after starting on time and having breaks. This last Christmas was the lightest I've encountered in all my years in the job, but that is due to our area finally losing Amazon as a contract in the last year I presume. We predicted they would come crawling back to us in the festive period - they didn't, so that ship has sailed now.

The next revision will be interesting, so I might well be back then complaining about unachievable workloads too.

24 Jan 2020, 12:54

Woody Guthrie wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:
Royal Mail are paying Facebook money and supplying employees data to ensue their message gets on employees timelines.

Is this the CWU tin hat brigade, what possible employee data could they be giving to Facebook, I have a rough idea about target advertising, cookies, GDPR and advertising permissions on websites but they would or 'could' only be using keywords to target FB users for advertising purposes.

Royal Mail would not be able to give employee data for this purpose as there isn't any kind of data to give.

And the CWU complaining about Royal Mail using Facebook?? Really!
:neutral:

I think it's a combination of tin hat, a lack of understanding on how Facebook works and an attempt to stir up a bit of anti-RM feeling.

Royal Mail can't supply Facebook with employee data without their express permission, that would be blatantly unlawful for both companies.

They can obviously ask Facebook to target anyone who lists their occupation as Royal Mail or frequently mentions RM in their posts but it's a bit of a pointless approach when you can force members of staff to sit down every week and watch their crappy videos anyway

And yes complaining about the dodgy use of social media.. funny as f**k.

Behave yourself, you militant loonie keyboard warrior...
https://www.facebook.com/Thecommunicati ... 22/?t=1390

24 Jan 2020, 16:54

SpongeBobPants wrote:

I don’t think anyone has suggested that it’s RM’s responsibility to sort childcare. It is about people choosing the line of work because it fit with their childcare needs. To change the start and finish times affects that.

As indicated in the following extract RM pride themselves on being a "Family Flexible" employer.

Royal Mail plc CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY REPORT 2017– 18

"Our diversity steering groups for Women and Parents and Carers established a subgroup to review Royal Mail’s flexible working policy. The groups are working with external partners such as Working Families and Employers for Carers to develop an action plan to help promote flexible working across our business."

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5