not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Strikebreakers

28 Nov 2019, 17:48

Dorset Plodder wrote:I suppose the Logic behind Posties reverting to Pen & Paper is at least they're likely to be able to manage it. :hmmmm Most of the Casuals we have seem to be incapable of even using the PDA.... they certainly would Melt Down if having to go Old School. :cuppa

From reading another thread about the PDAs, it looks like pen and paper might be the rule anyway with the software being f****d up

Strikebreakers

28 Nov 2019, 18:31

Post69 wrote:I don't work in delivery land but I heard today when I went to a DO that the DOM had told the packet/collection drivers as of next week all the PDA's and red fleet Van's have to go to the xmas casual drivers and the postmen have to use the hire vehicles

It's in case they damage the van; same thing in our office but even our packet drivers aren't allowed to drive the hire vans because they caused £6000 worth of damage to them last year. So instead the hire vans are given to those duties that have a good driving record.

Strikebreakers

28 Nov 2019, 18:55

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I suppose the Logic behind Posties reverting to Pen & Paper is at least they're likely to be able to manage it. :hmmmm Most of the Casuals we have seem to be incapable of even using the PDA.... they certainly would Melt Down if having to go Old School. :cuppa

From reading another thread about the PDAs, it looks like pen and paper might be the rule anyway with the software being f****d up


I suppose we all love to moan about something. TBH the PDAs don't stress me out that much. The Update means you often have to navigate a couple of more menus (which wastes time), I always try and "Lock" my screen between use (otherwise is starts playing by itself as buttons are hit in your pocket ... and your about 20 menus from where you started :crazy: )

It obviously doesn't like the wet, ironic for a country like ours :shock: A lot of the scanning problems seem to be caused by rain on the lens of the scanner (give it a wipe). I don't like the way it "Sends" your scanned codes by itself sometimes. :shock: I think it's because you rotate/tilt the PDA as you're taking it back off the customer. :hmmmm I'll always scan a special again ... just to make sure ... but so far I've had no come backs , so they must be sent? :hmmmm

The "Freezing Up" is a pain in the ass! :arrrghhh No Logic to it you'll be going along fine and then .. It "Freezes" :mad Normally after you've just scanned the item ... knocked on the door ... and it won't bring up the keypad for spelling! Yes we know we can Re-boot it but that takes time. I always carry my ID card so it's a quick scan ... but I know some Posties that don't. :no no

The most annoying thing about parcels is the Lack of a Removable Sticker with the number on. :thumbdown Old Style Recorded, and Special, Stickers were great. You could peel off the panel and put it on the 739. Having to write it out is a waste of time and bloody damn near impossible when it's pissing down! :crazy: As for Tracked Items, that aren't delivered, I'll be buggered if I'm writing those even longer numbers out freehand... it's a waste of time .... and a pain if it's raining! :sad: If the way forward is more parcels they should work on that problem .... That's if they're going to be giving us any parcels to Deliver. :pray

Apart from that there's not really a problem. :cuppa

Strikebreakers

28 Nov 2019, 22:41

The belt pda holsters are good, never seem to have a problem with my PDA on a fleece wearing day when i can access the holster. Not compatible with the showerproof coat though and it goes in the pocket where i get all the problems listed above. Why they dont bring out a smart type watch version i'll never know, oh hang on, that'll be the cost obviously, same as the unsuitable clothing we have to put up with.

Strikebreakers

29 Nov 2019, 00:14

Hitcher wrote:
Post69 wrote:I don't work in delivery land but I heard today when I went to a DO that the DOM had told the packet/collection drivers as of next week all the PDA's and red fleet Van's have to go to the xmas casual drivers and the postmen have to use the hire vehicles

It's in case they damage the van; same thing in our office but even our packet drivers aren't allowed to drive the hire vans because they caused £6000 worth of damage to them last year. So instead the hire vans are given to those duties that have a good driving record.

That's fair enough then! All the hire Van's I'm seeing are all brand spanking new bet they don't go back like that :chuckle

Strikebreakers

29 Nov 2019, 12:27

HI,
I am one of the Pertemps agency workers mentioned. It is my intention to submit a more detailed post about my situation and experience at RM on this forum either tomorrow or Sunday.

But, in the meantime, can I assure you that I and the others (there are 12 of us so far) that I have spoke to have no intentions what soever to be used as strike breakers and we have NO intentions of crossing picket lines to do any work during any strike that may take place.
I don't think that 12 untrained people would make any difference anyway!

As far as I am concerned, we are here to help with the Christmas rush by taking out the bigger parcels & packets. :nervous

Thanks (please read my more detailed post to follow)

Strikebreakers

29 Nov 2019, 22:26

Mr Plod wrote:HI,
I am one of the Pertemps agency workers mentioned. It is my intention to submit a more detailed post about my situation and experience at RM on this forum either tomorrow or Sunday.

But, in the meantime, can I assure you that I and the others (there are 12 of us so far) that I have spoke to have no intentions what soever to be used as strike breakers and we have NO intentions of crossing picket lines to do any work during any strike that may take place.
I don't think that 12 untrained people would make any difference anyway!

As far as I am concerned, we are here to help with the Christmas rush by taking out the bigger parcels & packets. :nervous

Thanks (please read my more detailed post to follow)


Well Done Mr Plod :Applause I only hope more of you Agency Guys have some Morals. I've got one working with me and TBH I'm not giving him that much of a hard time (although he's finding it hard enough to get his head around .... strange as Royal Mail are always telling us, "Anyone could just walk in off the street and do your job" :left: ). He wasn't even aware of the Strike Situation, and simply answered an Ad for Christmas Workers at Royal Mail. In fact the Agency gave him the impression that it could lead to a Full Time Job. :no no Which in my Opinion is Out of Order. :cuppa

Strikebreakers

29 Nov 2019, 23:12

These agency workers,we've got about a dozen of them working at the depot. Never seen so many at Xmas and they have been specifically recruited to take out large parcels.

And i did think if we went on strike - what are Royal Mails priorities?? 1. Specials and 2. Tracked deliveries. Its certainly not letters no matter what Royal Mail say about the USO. The USO that RM have got in mind is that which relates to delivering parcels.

Strikebreakers

30 Nov 2019, 00:34

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Post69 wrote:I don't work in delivery land but I heard today when I went to a DO that the DOM had told the packet/collection drivers as of next week all the PDA's and red fleet Van's have to go to the xmas casual drivers and the postmen have to use the hire vehicles and use old pen and paper dockets! What the f#*@k is that all about? :hmmmm.........but then again I know the DOM in that office (he was a union rep many years ago) he has caused many industrial unrest in the offices they send him too when he pissed off the previous DO's he loves to stoke an already tense situation! Always has done for many many years :roll:


There is some Logic to Casuals using the Red Fleet Vans. It's a kind of Statement that they are actually working for Royal Mail .... and not coning customers. We had a similiar thing a few years ago. Plus RM Drivers are considered to be more Trustworthy with the Nice Shiney Hire Van (that RM do not want to pay any damages for). :hmmmm And at least they "Look" like Posties to Support the "This Van is On Hire to Royal Mail" sign in the windscreen. :left:

I suppose the Logic behind Posties reverting to Pen & Paper is at least they're likely to be able to manage it. :hmmmm Most of the Casuals we have seem to be incapable of even using the PDA.... they certainly would Melt Down if having to go Old School. :cuppa

Yeah valid points! And this is were this f#*king half wit back needs to realise what delivery/collection postman actually do before he started discrediting the workforce :no no ! I was a delivery postman 20+ years ago obviously a lot younger aswell but I look at those guys now and again obviously know a fair few of them and I admit I couldn't do that job anymore :roll: (I'll just stick to network driver)

Strikebreakers

30 Nov 2019, 02:36

Dorset Plodder wrote:I'll always scan a special again ... just to make sure


So you ask the customer to sign for it twice? :arrrghhh

Strikebreakers

30 Nov 2019, 11:04

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Mr Plod wrote:HI,
I am one of the Pertemps agency workers mentioned. It is my intention to submit a more detailed post about my situation and experience at RM on this forum either tomorrow or Sunday.

But, in the meantime, can I assure you that I and the others (there are 12 of us so far) that I have spoke to have no intentions what soever to be used as strike breakers and we have NO intentions of crossing picket lines to do any work during any strike that may take place.
I don't think that 12 untrained people would make any difference anyway!

As far as I am concerned, we are here to help with the Christmas rush by taking out the bigger parcels & packets. :nervous

Thanks (please read my more detailed post to follow)


Well Done Mr Plod :Applause I only hope more of you Agency Guys have some Morals. I've got one working with me and TBH I'm not giving him that much of a hard time (although he's finding it hard enough to get his head around .... strange as Royal Mail are always telling us, "Anyone could just walk in off the street and do your job" :left: ). He wasn't even aware of the Strike Situation, and simply answered an Ad for Christmas Workers at Royal Mail. In fact the Agency gave him the impression that it could lead to a Full Time Job. :no no Which in my Opinion is Out of Order. :cuppa

That is the concencess of the agency drivers that I come across the agency they come from give them the impression that a full time job is in the waiting if you go the extra mile (or ten) and SOME of the line managers exploit that little tale :no no I do try and explain to them that said line managers don't/can't make that decision they haven't the authority but because that's what people have been telling them all the way down the line until they get on the shop floor (so to speak) they kinda tend to dismiss what I'm saying :roll:

Strikebreakers

30 Nov 2019, 17:26

twoloops wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I'll always scan a special again ... just to make sure


So you ask the customer to sign for it twice? :arrrghhh

Yep! If I turn around from the door look at the PDA and it's Blank. :shock: I'll say, "Do you mind if I quickly scan that again ... it looks like my Techs playing up"? :d'oh! Never had anyone complain yet. They'll normally say something "This technology 's great ... when it works ... isn't it"? :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 01 Dec 2019, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 00:13

4 or 5 in our place dump vans all over the place think they are gods and by the looks of them GLS recruits but happy to f**k up the system plus they all have brown noses!

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 10:26

k979aaa wrote:4 or 5 in our place dump vans all over the place think they are gods and by the looks of them GLS recruits but happy to f**k up the system plus they all have brown noses!


I take it you're talking about these Agency Guys? The same could apply to some of our Posties. :no no As for Messing Up the System... That's to our benefit really, it shows RM that you just can't use Recruits Straight off the Street to do this job..... Although RM always tell us, "Anyone can do your job ... It's just Simple Unskilled Manual Labour" ;liar

Personally if I saw them cocking it up ,and for instance Leaving Vans Unlocked, and Un-attended, I'd Bubble them to the DOM and let him deal with it. It's HIS problem. We've been told by the CWU NOT to Train them. :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 01 Dec 2019, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 11:42

Hope all these agency workers going out with parcels have done their change over :hmmmm

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 15:40

So I thought the agency workers are being employed just to cover parcels. WTLL on Tuesday I asked if there was a potential for them to be delivering mail. An emphatic NO was the answer from the DOM. By the way, we had a Royal Mail Director at this session. Wont name, but covers West Central Scotland. No comment from him.

Anyway, yesterday there were at least two of them delivering mail I personally witnessed. More lies from management. I'm worried that they're trying to railroad this new workforce in and are going to come to the CWU in the New Year with new terms and conditions. If we strike, then this new workforce will be taking over and we'll be forced to accept the new terms.

It doesn't mention in the latest Trade Union Act about agency staff covering existing duties of staff on strike so maybe this is the angle Royal Mail is trying to take.

Are the CWU really in agreement with this and if so why?

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 16:05

ssdd wrote:So I thought the agency workers are being employed just to cover parcels. WTLL on Tuesday I asked if there was a potential for them to be delivering mail. An emphatic NO was the answer from the DOM.


I Believe they were Hired to Break Any Strike that occured in the Run up to Christmas, although RM are hardly likely to admit that are they? ;liar To give him his due our DOM said he didn't want them in our DO but they were forced on him at short notice without his agreement. :thumbdown

Royal Mail obviously must have paid up front for these Guys (or signed a contract with the Agencies), or they'd simply have said, "Thanks a Lot ... We don't need them now" and saved the money. Once more it Looks like RM Management have been outmaneuvered by SMARTER Businessmen than themselves. :shock: I don't understand how they would have been used for Large Parcels Only as they don't know the Area? :hmmmm Ours are being used as Van Share Partners... on Duties that are normally done by a single Postie ...... It's a Pain in the Arse as you've got to Re-Jig the Delivery Route so it's actually in some kind of order to Deliver with a LWT. :arrrghhh

You say you were told you got a big NO about them delivering mail, but we've heard nothing of the kind. I share your fears that these Agency Guys will become more Competent over the following weeks, and therefore be more use to RM if we do take IA .... Despite us NOT Training them. :thumbdown

I have no expeirence of "Wild Cat" strikes but have followed a few post on here where they have happened. There doesn't appear to be any significant come back on the DO, apart from an immediate Meeting were all the problems are quickly rectified. Would any DO be penalised if their Posties Refused to work with these Agency Guys ,and simply walked out? :cuppa

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 16:21

So DorestPlodder, what does your Union Rep have to say about it? I haven't had a chance to speak to mine yet.

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 16:52

Contact the union guys, they are in no way shape or form allowed on delivery, i have been told this by the midlands union rep so rm are currently breaching rules if they are allowing this.

Strikebreakers

01 Dec 2019, 17:22

leolion855 wrote:Contact the union guys, they are in no way shape or form allowed on delivery, i have been told this by the midlands union rep so rm are currently breaching rules if they are allowing this.


That's what I'm thinking Leo. It was surreal the way I discovered it. Was on my way home on foot when I saw this agency guy with pouch bag delivering mail! I was about to take out my phone and film it because I couldn't believe it was happening after being expressly told more than once they were only there to cover parcels.

At the moment I was about to take my phone out a works van drew up beside me with a line manager driving. I thought "you must have known I was going to do that". However, he was offering me a lift home as he was going that way anyhow. I had a little chat with him about it. I said " I don't believe I'm seeing this", and he replied something along the lines of "I know, the goalposts keep moving". Also he said our Union Rep was aware of it, but I haven't had a chance to confirm that yet.

This Rico Back is certainly the worst thing to happen to Royal Mail in it's entire history and I hope he gets to hear that.

Previous page Next page


Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3