not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Royal Mail union appeals court ruling on postal strike

21 Nov 2019, 06:48

https://www.euronews.com/2019/11/20/roy ... on-strikes

Royal Mail’s biggest workers’ union lodged an appeal on Wednesday with Britain’s High Court after the postal service company won an injunction to stop a strike ahead of a general election and holiday season next month.

Members of the Communications Workers Union (CWU) had earlier voted to go on strike, saying that the company had failed to adhere to a pension deal agreed last year, but the court ruled last week that the ballot was unlawful.

Royal Mail has said it honoured the 2018 agreement with the union, with two pay increases, a working hours reduction and joint lobbying with the union of the government for a new pension scheme.

“Our appeal has been lodged with the High Court. We will update you on any further developments and when we know when it will be heard,” CWU said on Twitter.

CWU had not given exact dates for when a strike could take place, but Royal Mail has warned strikes could affect deliveries of postal votes in the Dec. 12 election and Christmas parcels.

A Royal Mail spokesperson said that the company noted the union’s move to appeal the court ruling.

Shares of the FTSE 250 company slightly extended losses after the CWU tweet and were down 1.9% in afternoon trade.

After winning its bid to block the Christmas strike on Nov. 13, Royal Mail reiterated that if the union removed the threat of a strike for the rest of 2019, the company would enter talks without preconditions. CWU rejected the offer and called it a “stunt” which the union would not fall for.

Royal Mail said then that the interim injunction meant that no industrial action could take place before the union held a “lawful” ballot of its members, and that they had voted in favour and formally notified the company.

Royal Mail’s daily delivery service of letters and parcels in the UK could be affected by strike action as the service forms the bulk of the company’s business, which also includes e-commerce operations. Parcelforce Worldwide, Royal Mail’s express courier parcel service, has been excluded from CWU’s ballot.

It handled 164 million parcels in the December trading period last year, according to a company statement.

Two years ago, Royal Mail blocked a strike by the union, winning a High Court injunction preventing action during the crucial pre-Christmas delivery period.

24 Nov 2019, 22:32

Being heard this Thursday.

24 Nov 2019, 22:54

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Being heard this Thursday.

Will we get the verdict on Thursday? if not when will we likely get it?

24 Nov 2019, 23:53

Strike before xmas or after xmas sad fact is the gig economy is what is making these disrupter companies thrive very low pay! The fact is the public don't give a toss who delivers their packets/parcels as long as it's cheap or free and we (royal mail) are just not competitive that tax avoidance company called Amazon don't want to use royal mail (but then again they just want to do everything in house) a good 80% of anything that's delivered to me is eather Hermes, dpd, yodel etc and not just oversized small inexpensive items aswell, so have a strike whenever (after all it's our democratic right to strike) unless we become like these gig economy company we will just become irrelevant :cry the amount of companies I pick up from that openly say to me that they are looking to "break free from royal mail" is a real concern! :hmmmm

25 Nov 2019, 16:00

Why do RM employees have to join the gig economy. Why not look to get better t%c for other couriers

25 Nov 2019, 16:14

celtic1967 wrote:Why do RM employees have to join the gig economy. Why not look to get better t%c for other couriers

and workers and all other misled underclass in our broken britain...do the election, get labour in, invest in our own people/skills and businesses and tax the rich to do it. referendum the deal...leave eu on our terms, anyway (right jezza!) and rebuild our country and population and politics from the ground up. the rot at the top must stop...they stink of corruption and peddle nowt but lies in order to preserve their position. if you stand up to them they call foul...well my friends we the people are many and we the people shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight AND; we shall never surrender...BUT NOT LED BY DONKEYS!!! :coolr

25 Nov 2019, 22:44

celtic1967 wrote:Why do RM employees have to join the gig economy. Why not look to get better t%c for other couriers

I'm definitely not saying we have to join them (like the union says a race to the bottom) on the gig economy but when it comes to our business unfortunately cheap delivery is the way companies like to go and your 100% correct why not bring better t&c's to other couriers but I'm afraid that is a bit utopian :cry I got something delivered the other week by Hermes (when I say delivered I mean in the loosest of terms) it was thrown down my steps bouncing off my door and spent all day in a puddle of water I know this because I have one of those doorbell cameras I then gets a text to say "your parcel has been delivered through your letterbox' long story short I phoned the company I bought it from to tell them what had happened and the answer I got was "we know Hermes are crap 1 in 10 packages delivered by them from us we have problems with but they are cheap" if that's the answer you get from companies what chance have we got :arrrghhh

27 Nov 2019, 21:24

I ordered something last night and next day shipping via Hermes was 99p for a 2kg 10in cube!!

It didn’t turn up though...

Now for 99p I’m not gonna waste my time kicking off, just like everyone else probably won’t be arsed.

But that’s the problem. Thousand of parcels pulled away from RM by Hermes no doubt, with Hermes knowing full well they’d never keep on top of that amount of traffic, but cheap enough that no one shouts and everyone just take it in the teeth. Sellers aren’t arsed, it was 99p, some probably didn’t pass that on to customers. Buyers aren’t gonna kick up, their time is worth more than 99p.

So everyone just eats a big s**t sandwich.

DOWN
DOWN
DOWN

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1