not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

I cancelled my union subscription

20 Nov 2019, 17:21

langlands01 wrote:Cancelled mine a few months ago as they have no Interest in representing the working man.
The cwu is Finnished as I can see the membership numbers decreasing.
The so called men at the top of the union are no different to royal mail,im afraid we life in a self preservation society.

Im getting selfish greedy tory type vibes here, despicable behaviour, :no no

20 Nov 2019, 20:30

langlands01 wrote:Cancelled mine a few months ago as they have no Interest in representing the working man.
The so called men at the top of the union are no different to royal mail,im afraid we life in a self preservation society.

If union membership drops too low then RM coud de-recognise the CWU then we'd all be screwed

20 Nov 2019, 20:53

It is to be expected that union members will have different experiences and different views on the performance of the union, its leaders and local representatives. It doesn't matter if there is a dispute going on or not, some members will leave and some will join.

As for union reps, they can be good and bad but I always understood that it was a thankless job and I always had the opportunity to put my name forward if I thought I could do better.

Time will tell whether the union leadership has just lost a battle or lost the war. I do believe they are acting in our best interests and should be given time. For me quitting while a dispute is going on, is just wrong.

As for the performance of the union over the years. They have had some battles and there has been a determined attack by Royal Mail on our terms and conditions. Despite this we still have better benefits such as holiday entitlements, sick pay and pension than others who work in similar jobs. We also have a shorter working week and paid meal breaks.

21 Nov 2019, 21:31

k979aaa wrote:The best way you can impact RM is by doing the job properly and get hours in the office you need, Leaving the union will only lead into conflict with managers and you are on your own on your own!

Why would leaving the Union lead into conflict with managers?? Royal Mail managers don't go out of their way to accommodate the CWU although I would agree it's good to know where you stand.

22 Nov 2019, 15:02

wacko74 wrote:I've got to admit I do struggle to fully back the unions stance in this dispute... it does sound a bit ridiculous for them to be going on about ''protecting the public service''... What ''public service'' is that? Delivering junk mail and ebay tat mostly.

Also their refusal to accept any changes that would lead to job losses, mainly through a reduction in the USO... I can't help thinking this is more about the union wanting to keep it's membership numbers (and income from subs) as high as possible rather than acting solely in the best interests of it's members.

I'm almost certain there are many thousands of posties that would jump at the chance of VR and many more who would like to reduce their hours... the union should be accepting that there is scope to ''streamline'' the business and should instead be fighting for the best possible deals for those who do want to leave, whilst also fighting to protect the pay and T&C's for those who wish to stay.

STREAMLINE, the business. They have apparently doing that when I joined in the early nineties. My old DO had a DOM and a LINO. Now they have the DOM and 3 LINOS, all the while they have lost 19 posties. If mails down, then why do they need these overpaid people. The other so called mail companies have ONE shift manager and about 2 team leaders for an operation the size of Glasgow MC. Yet GMC have managers everywhere and today in the official RM jobsite they are looking for delivery sector managers in the West of Scotland starting on £55 grand,, £4,800 car allowance and bonus. For whit. Sitting phoning up DOMS to push more lapsing and bullshit. Top heavy of the highest. Sling them to f**k and keep the people who actually make the money for RM. = The posties. Primary school basics.

22 Nov 2019, 16:01

Anyone know if full timers & part timers pay the same union fees?

22 Nov 2019, 17:01

twoloops wrote:Anyone know if full timers & part timers pay the same union fees?

The amount you pay is dependant upon your contracted hours.

CWU Contribution rates from 1st January 2019 New Weekly Contributions New Monthly Contributions
“I” Rate £ “O” Rate £ “I” Rate £ “O” Rate £
Plan 1 3.64 3.44 15.79 14.92
Plan 2 n/a n/a n/a n/a
Plan 3 2.60 2.40 11.30 10.43
Plan 4 2.27 2.07 9.83 8.96
Plan 5 1.93 1.73 8.33 7.46
Plan 6 1.57 1.37 6.83 5.96
Plan 7 1.23 1.03 5.35 4.48
Plan 8 £4.99 rate n/a n/a n/a 4.99
Plan 9 £4.00 rate n/a n/a n/a 4.00

Also depends if you opt in/opt out of the political levy and if you pay weekly/monthly.
I think the last 2 might be for retired members?

22 Nov 2019, 18:20

Well that's a Very Opinionated FIRST post :shock: Or are you just Trolling ? :no no Hope you enjoy Living in your "Self Preservation Society"

I also hope everyone else doesn't take your attitude, or you'll be in the shite when you need some help Mate. :cuppa

15 Dec 2019, 18:26

How do you cancel, what info do they need?

15 Dec 2019, 19:12

leolion855 wrote:How do you cancel, what info do they need?

Just ring hr an tell them you would like to cancel your cwu subscription.

15 Dec 2019, 19:27

aiden01 wrote:

RM or CWU?

15 Dec 2019, 19:28

Send an email to membership@cwu.org if you wish to cancel your union membership. Or you can send them a letter to the following address:

CWU Membership Department
150 The Broadway
London
SW19 1RX

I've done both.

The above info can be found here: https://www.cwu.org/my-union/faqs/
("How do I cancel my membership?")

Quote your CWU membership number in your correspondence (this'll be on your CWU Membership Card).
Last edited by PostmanBitesDog on 15 Dec 2019, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

15 Dec 2019, 19:31

leolion855 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

RM or CWU?

Rm human resources

17 Dec 2019, 19:54

It feels so much better not being a CWU member now. It even smells good, too. Like... victory. :whistle

17 Dec 2019, 20:01

PostmanBitesDog wrote:It feels so much better not being a CWU member now. It even smells good, too. Like... victory. :whistle

Well done, what an achievement, something to put on your CV. You can go and suck up to the DOM now....

17 Dec 2019, 23:51

ssdd wrote: Well done, what an achievement, something to put on your CV. You can go and suck up to the DOM now....

Surely it is not an "achievement" as you put it, worthy of a mention in one's CV but why the demeaning remarks against your colleagues? How can you accuse someone you don't know of sucking up to the management? You probably suck up to your DOM all the time for all we know but none here has accused you of this like you did.

As far as the union reps go, based on my experience, they choose the easy life and side with the DOMs most of the time to the detriment of the union members they were supposed to support and represent.

The union has messed up big time in our recent ballot and not once have they taken the blame or apologised for their incompetence. Instead, we were misled into believing that it was the government and the courts who were skewed and sided with RM unfairly. Until the transcript of the appeal hearing was published and the CWU lies and contempt for its members were exposed. Shameless bunch. They should resign and let other people in the union with more integrity to take over our union and employment affairs. Sadly I can't see this happening. No wonder people are chucking their subscriptions in.

18 Dec 2019, 00:21

clique wrote:
ssdd wrote: Well done, what an achievement, something to put on your CV. You can go and suck up to the DOM now....

Surely it is not an "achievement" as you put it, worthy of a mention in one's CV but why the demeaning remarks against your colleagues? How can you accuse someone you don't know of sucking up to the management? You probably suck up to your DOM all the time for all we know but none here has accused you of this like you did.

As far as the union reps go, based on my experience, they choose the easy life and side with the DOMs most of the time to the detriment of the union members they were supposed to support and represent.

I'm sorry it comes as across as being demeaning, but equally PostmanBitesDog's comment comes across as being demeaning to the CWU and our Union. How is it victory to leave the support of the organisation that is fighting to protect our jobs. If you have Union Reps that are continually siding with management, then something needs to be addressed. And no, I certainly don't suck up to the DOM.

18 Dec 2019, 11:50

clique wrote:The union has messed up big time in our recent ballot and not once have they taken the blame or apologised for their incompetence. Instead, we were misled into believing that it was the government and the courts who were skewed and sided with RM unfairly. Until the transcript of the appeal hearing was published and the CWU lies and contempt for its members were exposed. Shameless bunch. They should resign and let other people in the union with more integrity to take over our union and employment affairs. Sadly I can't see this happening. No wonder people are chucking their subscriptions in.

I actually agree with you here. I was expecting him to address the issue of the hearing in the latest video, and was a bit disappointed that he used the word 'allegedly' with regard to the findings. I can understand why people may have lost confidence in the CWU, but now is not the right time to be 'jumping ship'. That would certainly give RM free reign to press on with their agenda to the detriment of everyone.

Even if you now hate the CWU, it is still the lesser of two evils. We must stick together at this crucial time or risk losing our terms and conditions or worse.

18 Dec 2019, 13:27

ssdd wrote:
clique wrote: We must stick together at this crucial time or risk losing our terms and conditions or worse.

We have been losing our terms and conditions for the last 20 years. (Probably longer)
We have been losing full time jobs by the tens of thousands for years.
Sticking with the CWU has made little difference.

18 Dec 2019, 17:36

clashcityrocker wrote:
ssdd wrote:
clique wrote: We must stick together at this crucial time or risk losing our terms and conditions or worse.

We have been losing our terms and conditions for the last 20 years. (Probably longer)
We have been losing full time jobs by the tens of thousands for years.
Sticking with the CWU has made little difference.

It's damage limitation in a sense though, isn't it? Would we still be on £12 an hour with paid breaks if not for them as an example? You must see the ruthless and dramatic changes that Rico Back is trying to railroad in. You happy to sit back and let that happen?

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5