not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Royal Mail in legal bid to block national Christmas strike : CWU response

08 Nov 2019, 18:32

I had no idea we weren't aloud to open our personal mail on Royal Mail premises. I have done it on numerous occasions and in front of managers and never been pulled up on it. In fact every Thursday wage slips are opened and then taken to managers to complain about unpaid overtime and I don't believe anyone has been questioned. If that is a royal mail rule then they are at fault for not training their staff and managers properly and not enforcing the rules.

08 Nov 2019, 18:34

Dave put up a very poor defence on Sky News and refused to answer the question about whether Labour Party pressure would lead to us calling off the strike.

If you were really cynical you would say this would be a way out of a tricky situation for Labour and the CWU.

Blame the members for actions on social media for invalidating the ballot?

08 Nov 2019, 18:39

does anyone know the grounds on which British Airways and Ryan Air put forward their injunctions (and both lost)?

08 Nov 2019, 18:45

bo72 wrote:I had no idea we weren't aloud to open our personal mail on Royal Mail premises. I have done it on numerous occasions and in front of managers and never been pulled up on it. In fact every Thursday wage slips are opened and then taken to managers to complain about unpaid overtime and I don't believe anyone has been questioned. If that is a royal mail rule then they are at fault for not training their staff and managers properly and not enforcing the rules.

I would advise strongly against this. Especially in the current climate or the I.B is in.
The last thing you want is too be on there radar.

08 Nov 2019, 18:54

daveyeff wrote:does anyone know the grounds on which British Airways and Ryan Air put forward their injunctions (and both lost)?

just googled it, both were ''legal technicalities' regarding the ballot, which is exactly what these are trying on with us.

08 Nov 2019, 19:05

daveyeff wrote:they'll win their injunction on breach of mail integrity.

Perhaps, simply obtaining a delay is the intended action from this injunction.

I wonder how long these things usually take to come to a conclusion. It may well be that the legal wrangling pushes back any potential strike to after Xmas, and even if Royal Mail lose, the delay would almost completely nullify it's effectiveness.

08 Nov 2019, 19:12

if we win the injunction I would've thought the union would immediately give the required 2 weeks notice on the same day.

08 Nov 2019, 19:48

There has never been a better time to cripple RM with a simple (if unofficial) work to rule than right now
They will be reliant on us doing huge amounts of overtime in the next 7 weeks to deal with election material AND Christmas pressure, we will cause just as much disruption by simply declining their request for us to go over our time and we wouldn't lose any money through strike action.

08 Nov 2019, 19:53

Don't forget the amount of unofficial industrial action there has been recently where the Union has been sailing close to the wind.

Bootle hasn't been sorted as far as I am aware?

I support anybody to withdraw there labour but unfortunately we live under unjust laws.

08 Nov 2019, 19:56

leolion855 wrote:
Rumple wrote:This is just another clear sign of what a horrible, nasty, sneaky company we work for. I hope the CWU haven't blown this again though. RM have form for running rings round our Union.

Whos going to stop there union payments if we lose the court battle?

Me

08 Nov 2019, 20:06

Just face it guys, we've lost, so its time to either come to terms with what RM are offering or start looking for alternative income.

08 Nov 2019, 20:15

wacko74 wrote:There has never been a better time to cripple RM with a simple (if unofficial) work to rule than right now
They will be reliant on us doing huge amounts of overtime in the next 7 weeks to deal with election material AND Christmas pressure, we will cause just as much disruption by simply declining their request for us to go over our time and we wouldn't lose any money through strike action.

There have been a couple of mentions of the term 'work to rule' in this post which all of us should avoid using like the plague. RM really dislike this term and will use it against us. By all means follow all the rules from RM & the union - indeed you should do this anyway - but do not attach that terminology to what you are doing and categorically deny any connection between your actions and those three words.
I really hope & pray that RM do not succeed and that usage of social media to rub RMs noses in the **** has backfired on us monumentally. Union reps should really know that using social media in reference to RM can be problematic. If we don't get the opportunity to strike in the lead up to Xmas we will have lost all our leverage and in the medium to long term our jobs are destroyed.

08 Nov 2019, 20:19

leolion855 wrote:Just face it guys, we've lost, so its time to either come to terms with what RM are offering or start looking for alternative income.

We haven't lost yet if RMs ploy to stop or delay industrial action fails but it is a bit of a cock up on the part of those people who made a big deal of voting en masse on social media. RM are craftier than a cartload of monkeys but not necessarily as intelligent so we have to be careful what we do.

08 Nov 2019, 20:20

leolion855 wrote:Just face it guys, we've lost, so its time to either come to terms with what RM are offering or start looking for alternative income.

I still think this could go either way but it's looking likely they could get there injunction.

I said at the time of the ballot we need reasoned arguments based on facts AND Discipline in the way we conduct ourselves.

Well we had the reasoned arguments but we were lacking in the Discipline.

What a complete shambles.

08 Nov 2019, 20:46

How ironic that as we approach the 11th of November (a day to remember OUR fallen heroes who were fighting for OUR democracy) Royal Mail go running to the courts with some bullshit technicality to void the result of a democratic vote.
They should hang their heads in shame and I just hope that the courts see this for what it is.

08 Nov 2019, 20:49

Are there any videos of actual opening their own mail in a delivery office??? Who's to say the voting paper wasn't brought in to work the following day?

08 Nov 2019, 21:00

stoneybroke wrote:How ironic that as we approach the 11th of November (a day to remember OUR fallen heroes who were fighting for OUR democracy) Royal Mail go running to the courts with some bullshit technicality to void the result of a democratic vote.
They should hang their heads in shame and I just hope that the courts see this for what it is.

It is those who broke the laws regarding trade union ballots and then posted evidence of them doing so on social media who should hang their heads in shame. Their sabotage may have cost us all the opportunity of fighting to keep this as a decent job.

Either we hear soon that the union has expelled them all or else I give up my membership. Working alongside these idiots in the future would be far worse than working alongside strikebreakers.

08 Nov 2019, 21:10

Do you honestly think that any of those people who you mention had the slightest inkling that what they were doing could derail the IA process? Turning on each other will not help, neither will rolling over.

08 Nov 2019, 21:22

My form was handed to me by the union rep as soon as I walked into work, I asked him to put it back in the frame and I would look at it when I got home,10 minutes later the postman delivering my road brought it back to me to fill out, I was definitely put under pressure to fill it out in the office, I'm happy I didn't now

08 Nov 2019, 21:59

As the CWU were expecting the legal challenge, this development would not have come as a surprise. I can understand those who have conceded defeat already but it does not change the overwhelming result which won support for strike action.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 9   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9