not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 17:24

fri/sat one week mon/tues next. do that once or twice near xmas and they will shite their kex.

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 18:00

LouBarlow wrote:
GRS wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:
billycat wrote:I will never vote for a labour government while Corbyn and his cronies front the labour party the majority of his own MP's want rid of him he will try to drag the country back into the seventies of course this is my opinion and not shared by a lot on this forum.

It is fine to have an opinion even if it is wrong. Voting against a party that wants to nationalise Royal Mail sounds like a sound move on your part.

The nationalisation is a load of hot air. To nationalise the things they say will cost almost £200 billion - which equates to all the income tax paid by UK citizens in a year. Think if you’re gonna vote for Corbyn in the hope that he’ll take RM back into public ownership you may well be disappointed!!

I suggest you research the Labour manifesto in regard tax reform, and how much income that will generate, and also how much money is produced from the industries that would indeed be renationalised. The profits alone would cover the cost of borrowing to carry out Labour's plan. Also check out who the CBI are and who they represent. They represent companies that run the utilities service. Of course they are going to put out scaremongering against nationalisation.

I would say we’ll see but I doubt we will as Corbyn has virtually no chance of forming a majority government. At best he may be able to cobble together some sort of coalition which will involve many other factions so they will find it very difficult to push through those sort of major policies. Basically Corbyn makes Labour unelectable.

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 18:42

If we strike for multiple days....how will Royal Mail deal with this? Will they be able to get anyone in to at least get some of the post delivered? Obviously some Posties won't strike and will work....

Basically I am just curious to know what those that strike will come into when they come back in after striking. I guess a mountain of post and parcels....how does this get cleared?....

Do Posties strike and then come back in and do a feck tonne of overtime?

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 18:57

norris9 wrote:If we strike for multiple days....how will Royal Mail deal with this? Will they be able to get anyone in to at least get some of the post delivered? Obviously some Posties won't strike and will work....

Basically I am just curious to know what those that strike will come into when they come back in after striking. I guess a mountain of post and parcels....how does this get cleared?....

I’m guessing it’s different from office to office but I’ve been told by a few old timers after a strike you just do your hours and management won’t pay any overtime. So if like me you’re on 5 hours a day you come in, prep and take what you can (4 bags perhaps?) then make sure you come back before finish time. Repeat for weeks on end till eventually it’s cleared. Obviously I’m guessing Specials are prioritised. Like I say, probably different in other DOs and they might’ve been pulling my leg.

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 19:05

norris9 wrote:If we strike for multiple days....how will Royal Mail deal with this? Will they be able to get anyone in to at least get some of the post delivered? Obviously some Posties won't strike and will work....

Specials and tracked first, then packets, then letters, dont work over your hours as they wont pay.

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 19:37

yellowbelly wrote:
leolion855 wrote:26 nov ( election day)
whatever black friday falls on
first week of dec.

Elections are not normally held on a Tuesday (26 Nov) and my thoughts are why would CWU jeopardise anything to do
with voting at the election when their aim is to support the election of a Labour Govt? Wouldn't a no holds barred
postal strike play into the hands of those who would oppose a Labour Govt, dredging up reminders of the 'Winter of Discontent'?

Why hold the strike on Black Friday - better off striking the week after when all the stuff is supposed to be delivered surely?

So you're insinuating that the CWU would put it's affiation to the Labour party ahead of it's unon fee paying royal mail employees ( a fair proportion of which are not Labour supporters)? Interesting.

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 19:53

leolion855 wrote:

Specials and tracked first, then packets, then letters, dont work over your hours as they wont pay.

If there ends up being a General Election around the same time will election stuff get priority over everything else?

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 20:34

billycat wrote:I will never vote for a labour government while Corbyn and his cronies front the labour party the majority of his own MP's want rid of him he will try to drag the country back into the seventies of course this is my opinion and not shared by a lot on this forum.

yes, you are entitled to your opinion and I in part agree with you as a Labour goverment under Corbyn could see a run on the pound as in 66 and Labour will be stumped as Wilson was and unable to fulfill his manifesto and 2019 pledges which are a huge shake up.
The 70's were slightly different if you read up on the history (even if you were there as I was) as it was a time of massive political change. Neither Heath nor Wilson/Callahan could stop the vicious cycle of rampant inflation and the unions demanding that wages keep up with it. This is when we had a manufacturing base and northern towns and cities had industry but monetarism was rearing it's head by 78 and the Conservatives saw that they could destroy the unions by selling off all state owned assets and importing much cheaper goods from abroad. This weakened union power and the full intention of monetarism was to destroy the UK's manufacturing base by massive city de-regulation and boom! Lots of people got a lot richer and lots a lot poorer and that fight is still going on.
I suggest you watch Tony Benn's lecture on Neo-Liberalism. 'Tis only 10 minutes long and I wonder if you will still be of the same opinion.

Oh and by the way I lived and worked through the 70's and it was the happiest and most prosperous time of my life!
But re-nationalisation of the mail is an imperative for us in the CWU for a number of reasons I cannot go into but trust me; your job will be less stressful and more secure under Corbyn than Johnson.
I am taking an educated guess here but if Johnson gets a majority then you will be without a job within 2 years.

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 21:06

SpacePhoenix wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

If there ends up being a General Election around the same time will election stuff get priority over everything else?

Regarding Brexit everyone is doing their best to sort it out but the most likely outcome is a three month delay swiftly followed by a general election. So I think we are looking at a general election by the end of November this year. It's a perfect storm which will deliver the maximum amount of pressure on Rico Black. With any luck he will resign!!

strike dates

15 Oct 2019, 21:55

rambo1 wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
leolion855 wrote:26 nov ( election day)
whatever black friday falls on
first week of dec.

Elections are not normally held on a Tuesday (26 Nov) and my thoughts are why would CWU jeopardise anything to do
with voting at the election when their aim is to support the election of a Labour Govt? Wouldn't a no holds barred
postal strike play into the hands of those who would oppose a Labour Govt, dredging up reminders of the 'Winter of Discontent'?

Why hold the strike on Black Friday - better off striking the week after when all the stuff is supposed to be delivered surely?

So you're insinuating that the CWU would put it's affiation to the Labour party ahead of it's unon fee paying royal mail employees ( a fair proportion of which are not Labour supporters)? Interesting.

GS mentions priority (see below), not me.....

Dave Ward, The Voice, Winter 2018

“Our nation,our people, our society need a Labour government, because only this way will we bring our country back
together and deliver the change our members need – and that has to be our priority,” Dave concluded.

strike dates

16 Oct 2019, 11:21

Thinking back (and this was before walk sequenced/sorted mail and tracked stuff) we would just come in and sort the stuff then go out with specials until finishing time. I remember my duty not getting cleared for days. Mind you this was back when RM had plenty of staff and offices weren't cut to the bone personnel wise. It probably took a week to get the office clear.

I can imagine it will be specials and tracked that are prioritised. I'm just going by what happens when I tell my manager I'm working to my time.

strike dates

16 Oct 2019, 14:14

We were out for about ten days in 1987. Mail was piled up for weeks after though. No machines to sort in those days it all arrived in bags.

strike dates

16 Oct 2019, 16:42

antcpfc wrote:We were out for about ten days in 1987. Mail was piled up for weeks after though. No machines to sort in those days it all arrived in bags.

Remember the overtime you used to get to clear it!

strike dates

16 Oct 2019, 21:42

cloherty1976 wrote:
antcpfc wrote:We were out for about ten days in 1987. Mail was piled up for weeks after though. No machines to sort in those days it all arrived in bags.

Remember the overtime you used to get to clear it!

they'll not be arsed with any of that...probably get casuals/turncoats and strike breakers/ management to do the sorting...but who's gonna do the driving// logistics at mail centres// you kno'...the skilled work...agency? Meanwhile it would be great to see the management do a bit of modern day opg/slavery work for they're dirty £$ dollars ... :pray :pray :pray THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU...solidarity is strength...the panic is ongoing now as the management get a pay rise% and £1000 bonus from UNITE (on the same day as the cwu ballot result!). Buying 'em 'onboard'. sold out for a few pieces of silver...UNITE you are dogshit on my shoe :coolr

strike dates

19 Oct 2019, 11:06

GRS wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:
GRS wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:

It is fine to have an opinion even if it is wrong. Voting against a party that wants to nationalise Royal Mail sounds like a sound move on your part.

The nationalisation is a load of hot air. To nationalise the things they say will cost almost £200 billion - which equates to all the income tax paid by UK citizens in a year. Think if you’re gonna vote for Corbyn in the hope that he’ll take RM back into public ownership you may well be disappointed!!

I suggest you research the Labour manifesto in regard tax reform, and how much income that will generate, and also how much money is produced from the industries that would indeed be renationalised. The profits alone would cover the cost of borrowing to carry out Labour's plan. Also check out who the CBI are and who they represent. They represent companies that run the utilities service. Of course they are going to put out scaremongering against nationalisation.

yeah right. 49% of the voteshare went to Labour and the supposedly unelectable Corbyn. It's the biggest swing since 1945!
Alas most of those votes came from London, University towns/cities and the Midlands/north.
Rural county's with low populations; a sort of rotton borough's in a sense, have and always will vote Conservative.
So your supposedly unelectable Corbyn did better than Miliband, Smith; Kinnock and Thatcher! So hardly unelectable; in fact it is quite likely that Corbyn will win a majority government with no need for deals or coalitions.
I must admit even I was shocked at the proposals he revealed at conference this year. Pleased but shocked. The Tories are a shambles and a disgrace and whatever your opinions of Corbyn he can't do any worse for Christ sake!

I would say we’ll see but I doubt we will as Corbyn has virtually no chance of forming a majority government. At best he may be able to cobble together some sort of coalition which will involve many other factions so they will find it very difficult to push through those sort of major policies. Basically Corbyn makes Labour unelectable.

strike dates

19 Oct 2019, 22:20

That CBI report was a load of rubbish, absolutely shameful but sadly these days predictable that it got a credibility boost from the BBC and other supposedly reputable outlets: https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-cos ... alisation/

strike dates

20 Oct 2019, 00:14

26l34 wrote:That CBI report was a load of rubbish, absolutely shameful but sadly these days predictable that it got a credibility boost from the BBC and other supposedly reputable outlets: https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-cos ... alisation/

So was Labour's 2017 'costed' manifesto. McDonnell was told in the build up to the election that the claim would be pulled to pieces by any capable interviewer, but as the Tories never costed their manifesto and Labour were that far behind in the polls at that point they never had anything to lose. Nationalsation is a pipe dream that is never going to happen.

strike dates

20 Oct 2019, 09:02

And your evidence for this is? Or do you just think sounding off triumphantly settles it.

strike dates

20 Oct 2019, 10:23

Regarding clearing backlogs after strike action I cannot remember when it happened last although it doesn't seem that long ago. Last time I think we did one day MCs then one day DOs to try and maximise the effect while keeping disruption to posties wages to a minimum. As I recall vaguely I don't think we came off with a good result but that is the usual outcome.
We alternated delivery with one day parcels then one day letters and it was cleared after a week.
This time if industrial action is the only option left we will have to choose much longer periods of delay at the worst time for RM. There has never been this much change planned within the business before so the actions must match the threat to our jobs & working conditions. If it isn't stopped this time it won't be worth staying with RM.
Regarding Mr Corbyn he is a somewhat likeable man in a very difficult position politically. Most MPs wouldn't want him as PM though and the Labour party is now legitimately tarred by what they did in the 1970s but more so with the Brown/Bliar years. A lot of the Labour MPs from the last term who wrecked our country and called it a 'global' event are still standing. The incompetence of these characters is beyond belief and they cannot be allowed back into a position of power again. If we can get a general election then maybe we can get all the bad eggs deselected or voted out. There is so much infighting and disagreement between the various remainer factions at the moment they would not be able to come together.

strike dates

20 Oct 2019, 11:09

Celgar wrote:This time if industrial action is the only option left we will have to choose much longer periods of delay at the worst time for RM. There has never been this much change planned within the business before so the actions must match the threat to our jobs & working conditions. If it isn't stopped this time it won't be worth staying with RM.

At least delivery staff will still have some job security if RM gets its way. Automation in MCs could potentially end up with less then half the amount of jobs, maybe even result in MC closures

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4