not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

09 Oct 2019, 19:39

Woody Guthrie wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
south London postie wrote:I'm not quite understanding how this works; what happens to the deliveries those 20K-40K posties currently do - are they going to disappear along with the internet revolution?

AFAIK all remaining deliveries iirc will get a couple of hundred extra delivery points added to their walk


It's not going to be anything like that.
Each affected office as/when/if this is rolled out will need to have a full scale revision, the level of large parcels each office gets (and has removed) will determine the overall scope for absorbing duties in that office, the revision will determine how much scope each individual duty has to increase delivery points. Obviously the more large parcels you currently get the bigger the impact losing them will have on your delivery span. Some duties like rurals don't tend to be impacted by attendance calls at all.

Some offices that have already lost major customers like Amazon and Boohoo may see very little impact and it could be easier to manage the change through increased lapsing, others may need a full revision.

This is a long term strategy and it could take more than 5 years for the impact to hit all offices. At least 2 of the 'superhubs' haven't even reached the stage of finding a suitable location nevermind planning, designing and building.


Apart from all Tracked its any parcel that won't fit through a letter box

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

09 Oct 2019, 20:10

Apart from all Tracked its any parcel that won't fit through a letter box


No it isn't.
Stop spreading nonsense SP.

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

09 Oct 2019, 20:33

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Apart from all Tracked its any parcel that won't fit through a letter box


No it isn't.
Stop spreading nonsense SP.

Heard that from our local rep. It'll have a greater affect on MCs as it could result in a new wave of MC mergers

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

10 Oct 2019, 07:16

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
Apart from all Tracked its any parcel that won't fit through a letter box


No it isn't.
Stop spreading nonsense SP.

Heard that from our local rep. It'll have a greater affect on MCs as it could result in a new wave of MC mergers

yeh, with amazon logistics as the main customer...a new contract for deliveries (in-line with their gig model) pending for all RMG employees...the gloves are off; so fight to stop the rico-rot//efficiency drive///savings on our pensions/meal breaks/allowances/sickness rights and conditions/work to rule clause (appx 3) etc etc. :roll: ERE WE GO...SEIZE THE DAY AND DON'T LET EM FORCE FEED US THEIR SHITE-SANDWICH IN THE RUN UP TO XMAS...they think the working class will fold in first...bet the shareholders will have a bit to say BEFORE we THE OI POLLOI give ANY CONCESSION TO THE powers that be!! :coolr

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

10 Oct 2019, 07:35

SpacePhoenix wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:
TheTrolleyMan wrote:Chances are it'll be your day off cover that'll be losing their jobs


I'm a day off cover and I have 15 years service. I have a lot more seniority than people with their own rounds, but I have stuck with my duty because I prefer the variation.

Depending on how RM's automation strategy plays out, I do wonder if there will even be fixed rounds in DOs in the future - I don't think it's that much of a leap to a system which would dynamically generate the walks each day

if 2d barcodes instead of stamps, then, yeh...'ere we go for a proper mech management workload...sack the floorwalkers/early starters/blue-eyed boys tier and efficiency indoor sorting will be the only way forward...eco-fleet, multi-bag drops with a 'more dynamic' workforce of p.t opg's on pda actuals related pay for work completed/scanned should suffice brothers in arms...part-time gig economy; less management//they lose their bonus forever :coolr :shock: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: , 7 day amalgamated amazon/rmg parcel service//5 day letters (RAMAZOG) anyone? :shock:

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

10 Oct 2019, 22:25

Not sure they plan to do seasonal walks as what would they do with staff that had nothing to do unless I suppose they went to zero hour contracts.
Personally I think if they make the new parcel strategy work, reduce working conditions to those of our competitors, and manage to drop down to a five day service at the end of next year that will be a vast amount of money saved. They won't need to do seasonal walks as well.

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

12 Oct 2019, 00:16

work wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:
TheTrolleyMan wrote:Chances are it'll be your day off cover that'll be losing their jobs


I'm a day off cover and I have 15 years service. I have a lot more seniority than people with their own rounds, but I have stuck with my duty because I prefer the variation.

Depending on how RM's automation strategy plays out, I do wonder if there will even be fixed rounds in DOs in the future - I don't think it's that much of a leap to a system which would dynamically generate the walks each day

if 2d barcodes instead of stamps, then, yeh...'ere we go for a proper mech management workload...sack the floorwalkers/early starters/blue-eyed boys tier and efficiency indoor sorting will be the only way forward...eco-fleet, multi-bag drops with a 'more dynamic' workforce of p.t opg's on pda actuals related pay for work completed/scanned should suffice brothers in arms...part-time gig economy; less management//they lose their bonus forever :coolr :shock: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: , 7 day amalgamated amazon/rmg parcel service//5 day letters (RAMAZOG) anyone? :shock:


Stupid as it sounds I think in the future we’ll see something like walks varying day by day depending on workload. I think it’s Holland where every piece of Mail is now scanned. When I borrow a book from the library I don’t even have to open it or line up any barcode, simply place it on the machine within a second it tells me on the screen the title/author etc. Same when I top up my bus ticket. Not sure how that all works but no reason why everything in future (apart from D2Ds) won’t be tracked but automatically so we aren’t having to scan it all.

Perhaps some kind of pack which we wear on a belt which automatically scans the mail as it goes through the letterbox. A red light/warning buzz if the GPS tracking says you’re about to accidentally deliver 20 Main Street to 20 King Street. 99.9999% success rate, no arguments about things being misdelivered or going missing. The most efficient and trusted postal service in the world. People able to see the progress of every item of mail and parcel they are due to receive. Or maybe I’ve watched too much robocop!

LED frames anyone? PDA actuals telling the lino your average speed over the last month, then that days workload assigned accordingly. Mind you that wouldn’t be all that much of a bad thing. It’s a joke that you can have 7 D2Ds to prep and are wheeling round a full york of 200 packets while the guy on the cushy job next to you just has the 1 D2D and brings his 7 parcels for the round tucked under his arm.

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

12 Oct 2019, 22:10

HTPostman wrote:
work wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:
TheTrolleyMan wrote:Chances are it'll be your day off cover that'll be losing their jobs


I'm a day off cover and I have 15 years service. I have a lot more seniority than people with their own rounds, but I have stuck with my duty because I prefer the variation.

Depending on how RM's automation strategy plays out, I do wonder if there will even be fixed rounds in DOs in the future - I don't think it's that much of a leap to a system which would dynamically generate the walks each day

if 2d barcodes instead of stamps, then, yeh...'ere we go for a proper mech management workload...sack the floorwalkers/early starters/blue-eyed boys tier and efficiency indoor sorting will be the only way forward...eco-fleet, multi-bag drops with a 'more dynamic' workforce of p.t opg's on pda actuals related pay for work completed/scanned should suffice brothers in arms...part-time gig economy; less management//they lose their bonus forever :coolr :shock: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: , 7 day amalgamated amazon/rmg parcel service//5 day letters (RAMAZOG) anyone? :shock:


Stupid as it sounds I think in the future we’ll see something like walks varying day by day depending on workload. I think it’s Holland where every piece of Mail is now scanned. When I borrow a book from the library I don’t even have to open it or line up any barcode, simply place it on the machine within a second it tells me on the screen the title/author etc. Same when I top up my bus ticket. Not sure how that all works but no reason why everything in future (apart from D2Ds) won’t be tracked but automatically so we aren’t having to scan it all.

Perhaps some kind of pack which we wear on a belt which automatically scans the mail as it goes through the letterbox. A red light/warning buzz if the GPS tracking says you’re about to accidentally deliver 20 Main Street to 20 King Street. 99.9999% success rate, no arguments about things being misdelivered or going missing. The most efficient and trusted postal service in the world. People able to see the progress of every item of mail and parcel they are due to receive. Or maybe I’ve watched too much robocop!

LED frames anyone? PDA actuals telling the lino your average speed over the last month, then that days workload assigned accordingly. Mind you that wouldn’t be all that much of a bad thing. It’s a joke that you can have 7 D2Ds to prep and are wheeling round a full york of 200 packets while the guy on the cushy job next to you just has the 1 D2D and brings his 7 parcels for the round tucked under his arm.
They operate from the back of a truck outside lock up garages ie no protections as you don't have a workplace anymore is this where we in the 21st century are going too?

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

13 Oct 2019, 05:40

Given the expense involved I doubt RM would really be interested in implementing any of the technologies mentioned above for an unprofitable and declining letters market

I suspect (as the union says) they would just rather let the letters side of the business ''wither on the vine''

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

13 Oct 2019, 05:52

wacko74 wrote:Given the expense involved I doubt RM would really be interested in implementing any of the technologies mentioned above for an unprofitable and declining letters market

I suspect (as the union says) they would just rather let the letters side of the business ''wither on the vine''

It wouldn't surprise me to see the letters side split off into a separate company eventually

Previous page Next page


Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3