not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

24 Sep 2019, 15:30

stodgy88 wrote:Hopefully it wont come to this, but what sort of figure would natural wastage be in the timeframe they are looking at.

I think a figure of about 5,000 posties per year leave RM anyway.

If we lose and 20000/40000 people are made redundant, how do the business choose who goes?

24 Sep 2019, 15:52

Cheers, what timeframe are they dreaming of ,presume f they need the new hubs,will be a while yet.

24 Sep 2019, 19:44

stodgy88 wrote:Cheers, what timeframe are they dreaming of ,presume f they need the new hubs,will be a while yet.

It's a 5 year plan.

28 Sep 2019, 11:44

if 20,000 posties are to go that is more than 1 in every 6 postie or a 5 day week and if it's the 40,000 figure then that is more than 1/3rd or a 4 day week you will be expected to condense 6 days work into 5 or 4 days .... that is a shocking state of affair ... i'm glad i have arthritis in my lower back (after i slipped and went up in the air and landed on my lower back on concrete) among other ailments

29 Sep 2019, 16:00

Jefferson Starfish wrote:
stodgy88 wrote:Hopefully it wont come to this, but what sort of figure would natural wastage be in the timeframe they are looking at.

I think a figure of about 5,000 posties per year leave RM anyway.

The last official figure given out by RM was between nine and ten thousand posties leaving in a recent year. This figure was given to be a good figure in that 'natural wastage' at most other companies in the UK is supposedly significantly higher.
This still would leave RM with a shortfall for the initial up to 20,000 job losses from the 'new parcel strategy' and other possible short term cuts.
The second possible lot of 20,000 job cuts from moving to a five day operation, if it is allowed by the regulator next year, could be more problematic to achieve.
I think a lot of offices are short staffed currently plus if the 'new parcel strategy' cannot be stopped there will be a lot more duties required at all the current LAT hubs as they will be delivering all the Tracked items as well parcels above shoe box size. Those offices are going to be really busy!

29 Sep 2019, 16:05

Godric wrote:if 20,000 posties are to go that is more than 1 in every 6 postie or a 5 day week and if it's the 40,000 figure then that is more than 1/3rd or a 4 day week you will be expected to condense 6 days work into 5 or 4 days .... that is a shocking state of affair ... i'm glad i have arthritis in my lower back (after i slipped and went up in the air and landed on my lower back on concrete) among other ailments

I agree that when you think about it the 'new parcel strategy' doesn't sound possible to actually achieve. In that sense maybe it will destroy itself before implementation but we can't rely on it just failing. It has to be burnt to the ground - metorthorically speaking of course. :oops:

29 Sep 2019, 16:10

Woody Guthrie wrote:
stodgy88 wrote:Cheers, what timeframe are they dreaming of ,presume f they need the new hubs,will be a while yet.

It's a 5 year plan.

Hmmm. It's stated as a five year plan but as far as I understand the first of the three hubs is already built and partially being used ? If RM have or can borrow some money how long will it take them to construct two more massive metal buildings at two other locations ? If it goes ahead I can see it being up and running for Xmas 2020. If we don't stop it that is.

PS I think it was written somewhere that when questions were asked about trials of the new strategy that he was just going to go ahead with it anyway. Like a mad dog chasing a bone.

29 Sep 2019, 16:24

wacko74 wrote:I think the fairest system for the workforce and most cost effective system for the employer should be a compromise where all and any job losses are to only be via VR... but NOT based on seniority.

Instead those volunteers who would cost the least to pay off should get priority.

(Que the usual frothing of mouths from the 30-40 year guys, with their various money for nothing grandfather rights payments and cushy little duties that haven't been altered ever since they picked them in 1983)

:whistle :whistle :whistle :whistle :nervous :nervous

30 Sep 2019, 06:00

Chances are it'll be your day off cover that'll be losing their jobs

30 Sep 2019, 08:52

Celgar wrote:Hmmm. It's stated as a five year plan but as far as I understand the first of the three hubs is already built and partially being used ? If RM have or can borrow some money how long will it take them to construct two more massive metal buildings at two other locations ? If it goes ahead I can see it being up and running for Xmas 2020. If we don't stop it that is.

Anyone know how long it took from the start of construction of that hub, up to when it was ready for use?

30 Sep 2019, 14:36

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Chances are it'll be your day off cover that'll be losing their jobs

It might be that their role becomes unnecessary. But I'd be very surprised were it those individuals currently covering days off who would be made redundant either voluntarily or otherwise.

I would not be surprised though were non-drivers to be deemed superfluous to requirements within a year or two.

30 Sep 2019, 17:46

There's no reason why non drivers would be targeted, none of RMs plans point towards that kind of change in delivery methods and to be honest it could probably be classed as constructive dismissal if you did.

People on here should be careful of making assumptions without evidence that could leave members unnecessarily worried about their job security.

07 Oct 2019, 15:55

Who decides whos going when theres redundancies?
Cwu?
DOM?
area manager?
national manager?

07 Oct 2019, 16:20

leolion855 wrote:Who decides whos going when theres redundancies?
Cwu?
DOM?
area manager?
national manager?

Rock/paper/scissors...?

Perhaps we should all just stop putting the horse before the cart for a bit?

08 Oct 2019, 16:44

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Chances are it'll be your day off cover that'll be losing their jobs

I'm a day off cover and I have 15 years service. I have a lot more seniority than people with their own rounds, but I have stuck with my duty because I prefer the variation.

08 Oct 2019, 19:31

LouBarlow wrote:

I'm a day off cover and I have 15 years service. I have a lot more seniority than people with their own rounds, but I have stuck with my duty because I prefer the variation.

Depending on how RM's automation strategy plays out, I do wonder if there will even be fixed rounds in DOs in the future - I don't think it's that much of a leap to a system which would dynamically generate the walks each day

08 Oct 2019, 22:20

I'm not quite understanding how this works; what happens to the deliveries those 20K-40K posties currently do - are they going to disappear along with the internet revolution?

09 Oct 2019, 06:56

south London postie wrote:I'm not quite understanding how this works; what happens to the deliveries those 20K-40K posties currently do - are they going to disappear along with the internet revolution?

AFAIK all remaining deliveries iirc will get a couple of hundred extra delivery points added to their walk

09 Oct 2019, 14:09

SpacePhoenix wrote:
south London postie wrote:I'm not quite understanding how this works; what happens to the deliveries those 20K-40K posties currently do - are they going to disappear along with the internet revolution?

AFAIK all remaining deliveries iirc will get a couple of hundred extra delivery points added to their walk

It's not going to be anything like that.
Each affected office as/when/if this is rolled out will need to have a full scale revision, the level of large parcels each office gets (and has removed) will determine the overall scope for absorbing duties in that office, the revision will determine how much scope each individual duty has to increase delivery points. Obviously the more large parcels you currently get the bigger the impact losing them will have on your delivery span. Some duties like rurals don't tend to be impacted by attendance calls at all.

Some offices that have already lost major customers like Amazon and Boohoo may see very little impact and it could be easier to manage the change through increased lapsing, others may need a full revision.

This is a long term strategy and it could take more than 5 years for the impact to hit all offices. At least 2 of the 'superhubs' haven't even reached the stage of finding a suitable location nevermind planning, designing and building.

09 Oct 2019, 18:19

Woody Guthrie wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

It's not going to be anything like that.
Each affected office as/when/if this is rolled out will need to have a full scale revision, the level of large parcels each office gets (and has removed) will determine the overall scope for absorbing duties in that office, the revision will determine how much scope each individual duty has to increase delivery points. Obviously the more large parcels you currently get the bigger the impact losing them will have on your delivery span. Some duties like rurals don't tend to be impacted by attendance calls at all.

Some offices that have already lost major customers like Amazon and Boohoo may see very little impact and it could be easier to manage the change through increased lapsing, others may need a full revision.

This is a long term strategy and it could take more than 5 years for the impact to hit all offices. At least 2 of the 'superhubs' haven't even reached the stage of finding a suitable location nevermind planning, designing and building.

Oh jeez,you mean to say that our depot would get those dodgy planners back in and feck up our duties like last time?? We are still trying to sort out their mess months later

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3