not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Is it time to bin the USO?

21 Sep 2019, 16:23

The more I think about it the more I'm struggling to support such an intransigent stance by the CWU opposing all and any changes and subsequent job losses, especially their opposition to reducing the USO.

People are deluded to still consider us as some kind of ''essential public service''... at least 70% of the mail we deliver is just junk mail and DSA + GDPR has made that unprofitable and unsustainable.

Reducing the USO would lead to job losses but I'd guess RM would comfortably get 20,000 applicants for VR (probably more).

Instead of the union fighting to ''protect all jobs'' and preserve current working practices including the 6 day week, it should accept that change is not only inevitable but essential if the business is to survive let alone thrive and they should instead be pushing for decent VR packages for those who do want to leave and then concentrate on getting the best T&C's for those who remain.

21 Sep 2019, 16:39

wacko74 wrote:The more I think about it the more I'm struggling to support such an intransigent stance by the CWU opposing all and any changes .

20 000 jobs lost equates to £60 000/week in subs.
That is unsustainable for a union already struggling financially. A merger with another union would be the logical consequence.
We are really fighting for Terry's job.

21 Sep 2019, 16:55

clashcityrocker wrote:
wacko74 wrote:The more I think about it the more I'm struggling to support such an intransigent stance by the CWU opposing all and any changes .

20 000 jobs lost equates to £60 000/week in subs.
That is unsustainable for a union already struggling financially. A merger with another union would be the logical consequence.
We are really fighting for Terry's job.

Exactly.

The union are more concerned with keeping as many members and as much income from subs more than anything else.

Not looking at the bigger or longer term picture of securing good jobs and decent T&C's for a reduced workforce in a leaner and more profitable company whilst ensuring those who do want out get a decent offer to do so.

And god knows how the union are struggling financially with a weekly income of around £330k!!

21 Sep 2019, 20:11

wacko74 wrote:The more I think about it the more I'm struggling to support such an intransigent stance by the CWU opposing all and any changes and subsequent job losses, especially their opposition to reducing the USO.

People are deluded to still consider us as some kind of ''essential public service''... at least 70% of the mail we deliver is just junk mail and DSA + GDPR has made that unprofitable and unsustainable.

Reducing the USO would lead to job losses but I'd guess RM would comfortably get 20,000 applicants for VR (probably more).

Instead of the union fighting to ''protect all jobs'' and preserve current working practices including the 6 day week, it should accept that change is not only inevitable but essential if the business is to survive let alone thrive and they should instead be pushing for decent VR packages for those who do want to leave and then concentrate on getting the best T&C's for those who remain.

Even the employer has not suggested removal of the USO they may well threaten us with it in the coming days weeks. As for VR it is only for managers as for the rest of your post that is what we intend to do protect the terms and rights we and all others years before did so and will do so now!

22 Sep 2019, 06:13

k979aaa wrote:
wacko74 wrote:.

Even the employer has not suggested removal of the USO they may well threaten us with it in the coming days weeks. As for VR it is only for managers as for the rest of your post that is what we intend to do protect the terms and rights we and all others years before did so and will do so now!

I suspect RM will deny wanting to reduce the USO right up until the day when they apply to reduce the USO.

As for ''VR only being for managers'', that's exactly my point, the CWU should be flexing it's muscles to ensure that all and any job losses are through VR rather than just outright opposing ALL job losses.

22 Sep 2019, 11:42

9-5. part time only. job share. zero hours contracts. 5 day opg delivery week... 5 days over 7 = every now and then working long weekends collections/lats (10 days back to back 5 over 7) no non drivers, own transport to any office (5 over 7), pda clocking in//out, payslips online only, BACS pcm. no overtime. no paid meal breaks. no union. eco fleet. no uso. profit only cherry-picking of business. complete abandon of letters; in order to get a bidding war generated. SPECIALS only...no recorded or tracked (unless local collect from depot ONLY. sell off all city centre buildings, D.O.'s and Post office Counters. making way for purpose built out of town hubs //d.o. with parcel sorting machines of docketed items for re-delivery only (no self collection). online purchasing of pre paid mail bags only. Post boxes on streets to become parcel boxes. franchise the cleaners. franchise the transport maintenance. franchise the logistics for distribution. break it all up and sell it off. get rid of 1/5th of all staff and 1/4 of all management tiers. Mass re-signing of walks w/out seniority = no duty keyholders any more. Holidays to be allocated online only based on hours worked/contract. All contracts set at 6 hrs per day maximum (including management) x5 = 30hrs. VR's for older pensions as a golden goodbye. Golden hello to new contract workers (offered for 3 months only) encouraging the new way ahead. click and collect or click and deliver only. all d2d/non direct mail marketing and junk to be casual 'agency' staff work.
result = "modernisation" AND A MASSIVE STRIKE ACTION BY ANY RIGHT-MINDED INDIVIDUAL. COME ON FOLKS GET A GRIP OF THE SWINE/TAX DODGER AND MAKE HIM SWEAT THIS XMAS! :crazy:

22 Sep 2019, 20:00

^ ^
If they had 2D barcodes on everything then they could do away with fixed walks altogether, the system could generate walks dynamically each day based on what's coming into the office

22 Sep 2019, 20:23

leolion855 wrote:pick holes in this

Two teams, A and B

part time

Team A week 1 work Mon Weds Fri 9am 7pm
Team B week 1 work Tues Thurs Sat (Tues Thurs 9am 7pm Sat 9am 2pm)

Team A week 2 work Tues Thurs Sat ( same hours)
Team B week 2 work Mon Weds Thurs (same hrs)

Working 10 hr days weekdays to inc letters am and LATS/parcels pm, Sat parcels only.

Each team then works an average of 27.5 hours over 4 weeks

Full time

Team A week 1 work Mon Weds Fri 7am 7pm
Team B week 1 work Tues Thurs Sat (Tues Thurs 7am 7pm Sat 7am 2pm)

Team A week 2 work Tues Thurs Sat ( same hours)
Team B week 2 work Mon Weds Thurs (same hrs)

Working 12 hr days weekdays to inc letters am and LATS/parcels pm, Sat parcels only.

Each team then works an average of 33.5 hours over 4 weeks

Uso can go to 5 days, we get the hrs off for full times and you get every other Sat off.( as well as a couple of days in the week!) For those with childcare there could be a job share where one worker does mornings and one does afternoons.

Only issue is union would need to make sure LATS/oversized went from all offices.

Any issues anyone?

12 hour days, walking the streets for over 10 hours till it gets dark at 7pm, no fecking chance!!

Having noticed that our depot regularly brings in full-timers to do overtime on IPS an hour early I think we should all work a 4 day week on rotation anywhere from 6am to 3pm. Over 4 days thats 36 hours and I've not even included breaks and meal relief thats added on either. Part-timers could maybe work 9 till 3pm, 4 days a week - in fact many of them do.

I'm still a bit wary of a day being dropped off the USO because it could mean we lose 1/6th of the workforce. Last Saturday was absolute mayhem with big catalogues and mail order stuff so imagine all that stuff being added to Monday's mail, packets and those D2Ds that need extra prepping :hmmmm Losing a day off the USO won't please the greedy guys who regular need to work their day off either - although a 4 day week finishing at 3pm would give them enough sufficient rest to work an additional day. Thats not really going happen if they are walking on mammoth rounds every day. Like someone said that was one of the reasons behind the Union's SWW in the first place.

22 Sep 2019, 22:46

postslippete wrote:Having noticed that our depot regularly brings in full-timers to do overtime on IPS an hour early I think we should all work a 4 day week on rotation anywhere from 6am to 3pm. Over 4 days thats 36 hours and I've not even included breaks and meal relief thats added on either. Part-timers could maybe work 9 till 3pm, 4 days a week - in fact many of them do.

I can't see any DO starting at 06:00 eventually, to allow for lorries to leave outward MCs and arrive at inward MCs later

28 Sep 2019, 11:49

Think about it, if 20,000 posties are to go that is more than 1 in every 6 postie or a 5 day week and if it's the 40,000 figure then that is more than 1/3rd or a 4 day week you will be expected to condense 6 days work into 5 or 4 days .... that is a shocking state of affair ... it's not my problem now, but i have major concerns for my former colleagues in my old D/O and colleagues around the UK ... you have my full support always

03 Oct 2019, 17:00

fed_up_postie wrote:
Warriorpostie wrote:You are not guaranteed they will cut Saturday deliveries. They could turn round & give everyone tuesdays off across the board as this is usually the lightest day for Mail.

This is EXACTLY what would happen! Apparently the great british public prefer to receive mail on saturdays than an other day, given that tuesday is ridiculously light that would be the day they scrap! So if your thinking the scrapping of the USO would give everyone a monday to friday job you all need to think again because it wouldn't

When you say "Apparently the great British public prefer to recieve mail on Saturdays than any other day" I wonder if you could point me in the direction of where you got this information? I would like to read it.

Previous page Next page

Page 4 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4