not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Is it time to bin the USO?

15 Sep 2019, 01:38

Gasman11 wrote:New Zealand changed their USO a few years ago to a 3 day delivery service and allow customers to choose a Mon, Wed and Fri pattern of delivery or Tues, Thur or Sat. If thats the plan here you are talking scary levels of job losses.

Could that even mean many DO mergers? With standardised prep frames (all single slot) and changeable labels could they have each DO covering two areas, area 1 one day, area two the next, area one the next and so on?

Is it time to bin the USO?

16 Sep 2019, 10:00

fed_up_postie wrote:
Warriorpostie wrote:You are not guaranteed they will cut Saturday deliveries. They could turn round & give everyone tuesdays off across the board as this is usually the lightest day for Mail.


This is EXACTLY what would happen! Apparently the great british public prefer to receive mail on saturdays than an other day, given that tuesday is ridiculously light that would be the day they scrap! So if your thinking the scrapping of the USO would give everyone a monday to friday job you all need to think again because it wouldn't

In your opinion

Is it time to bin the USO?

16 Sep 2019, 10:53

fed_up_postie wrote:
Warriorpostie wrote:You are not guaranteed they will cut Saturday deliveries. They could turn round & give everyone tuesdays off across the board as this is usually the lightest day for Mail.


This is EXACTLY what would happen! Apparently the great british public prefer to receive mail on saturdays than an other day, given that tuesday is ridiculously light that would be the day they scrap! So if your thinking the scrapping of the USO would give everyone a monday to friday job you all need to think again because it wouldn't

Personally I would think an every other day delivery of letters would be more likely, apart from first class(if it still exists) & specials, etc. Meaning potentially up to half the current workforce leaving RM.

But that's just my opinion! :thumbup

Is it time to bin the USO?

16 Sep 2019, 13:09

I think they'll threaten us with 3 days and settle for 5 (at the moment).

It's clearly going to be Saturday that gets the chop from letters because that frees up the entire weekend for the core parcel delivery business. It makes no business sense to stop Tuesday deliveries, it's a low volume letters day but that's all and the more you reduce your full-time staff the less of a problem that becomes.

I think they'll also want to change the definition of first class delivery if not remove it completely. It's a massive burden on the business having to guarantee the next day delivery of a first class letter from auntie Mary that might have to travel 600 miles overnight for less than a quid. It would open up a huge world of resourcing options if they got that monkey off their back.

Is it time to bin the USO?

16 Sep 2019, 15:25

They should follow the Republic of Ireland. No first or second class, thus no time spent segregating them and Monday-Friday deliveries except with sd's and bulk at weekends also and maybe introduce some reduced priority letter service for Saturdays as opposed to a 9pm/1pm Saturday special delivery. Bound to save a fortune, however it would reduce the need for day off cover

Is it time to bin the USO?

16 Sep 2019, 20:38

If letter delivery went to being every other day, would RM do away with sequencing and go back to all mech mail walk sorted only? If it did, that could potentially be a lot of machines got rid of

Is it time to bin the USO?

16 Sep 2019, 20:51

Everyone I know seems to want Saturdays off so if Royal Mail manage to get rid of Saturday letter deliveries (but for not parcels) then that could potentially be a win-win scenario in our office. But it may also set a dangerous precedent for things to come in the future.

Is it time to bin the USO?

18 Sep 2019, 20:15

I love how some are giving Rico Back ideas...

Is it time to bin the USO?

18 Sep 2019, 20:36

The USO is what keeps us all in jobs. Getting rid of it totally probably means getting rid of half the workforce! As for Tuesdays or Saturdays to be axed from the USO, my rationale would that it would be Saturday that the business would lean towards, not because staff prefer to have the weekends off, but because a lot of businesses and schools are closed on Saturday.

Is it time to bin the USO?

19 Sep 2019, 19:01

pick holes in this

Two teams, A and B

part time

Team A week 1 work Mon Weds Fri 9am 7pm
Team B week 1 work Tues Thurs Sat (Tues Thurs 9am 7pm Sat 9am 2pm)

Team A week 2 work Tues Thurs Sat ( same hours)
Team B week 2 work Mon Weds Thurs (same hrs)

Working 10 hr days weekdays to inc letters am and LATS/parcels pm, Sat parcels only.

Each team then works an average of 27.5 hours over 4 weeks

Full time

Team A week 1 work Mon Weds Fri 7am 7pm
Team B week 1 work Tues Thurs Sat (Tues Thurs 7am 7pm Sat 7am 2pm)

Team A week 2 work Tues Thurs Sat ( same hours)
Team B week 2 work Mon Weds Thurs (same hrs)

Working 12 hr days weekdays to inc letters am and LATS/parcels pm, Sat parcels only.

Each team then works an average of 33.5 hours over 4 weeks

Uso can go to 5 days, we get the hrs off for full times and you get every other Sat off.( as well as a couple of days in the week!) For those with childcare there could be a job share where one worker does mornings and one does afternoons.

Only issue is union would need to make sure LATS/oversized went from all offices.

Any issues anyone?

Is it time to bin the USO?

19 Sep 2019, 19:41

There's no way anyone's going to be working ten hour days as standard, let alone 12 hour days.

What is much more likely is that you will work 5 days out of 6 or 5 days out of 7 (if Sundays become a delivery day) with a rotating day off or with two consecutive rotating days off.

Is it time to bin the USO?

19 Sep 2019, 19:55

Its quite normal in logistics/warehousing/factory work to do 3 days of 12 hrs.

Is it time to bin the USO?

19 Sep 2019, 20:16

leolion855 wrote:Its quite normal in logistics/warehousing/factory work to do 3 days of 12 hrs.


I can see your point but doing later deliveries in the dark is not something I would be up for. I remember when I joined RM and on my first couple of days out on own (when I was slow as was learning the ropes/duty route etc) I spent the last half hour delivering in the dark - it was a nightmare. I know we could use torches etc but it's dangerous in my opinion (I work on rurals so not even much in the way of street lighting most of the time).

Is it time to bin the USO?

19 Sep 2019, 20:28

leolion855 wrote:Its quite normal in logistics/warehousing/factory work to do 3 days of 12 hrs.


Is it quite normal in logistics to walk 15/20 miles? Because that is what you are advocating with a 12 hour day. The whole point of the SSW is to keep walking distances down!
Last edited by Ren Hoëk on 20 Sep 2019, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

Is it time to bin the USO?

19 Sep 2019, 20:33

leolion855 wrote:Its quite normal in logistics/warehousing/factory work to do 3 days of 12 hrs.

My feet, knees and back are shot after 5 and a half hours on the street I would never be able to complete a 12 hour day.

Is it time to bin the USO?

19 Sep 2019, 21:20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... 8GGRYkYUS4

Is it time to bin the USO?

20 Sep 2019, 15:46

The LATS that are happening now work from 2 till 7pm as it is anyhow.

Is it time to bin the USO?

20 Sep 2019, 16:07

leolion855 wrote:The LATS that are happening now work from 2 till 7pm as it is anyhow.


Yes. So what's vastly more likely than 12 hour shifts is 2 x 6 hour shifts worked by different people.

Or, more likely given our current contract arrangements either:

3 x 8 hour shifts
4 x 6 hour shifts

instead of your 2 x 12.

You could mix and match a bit in and around of that to determine who does the LATs.

It's entirely credible that a full timer might, for instance, be required to work 7-3 on one day and 11-7 on another (if LAT duties were changed somewhat). In fact all the talk of 'dual-walk fittings would fit with that.

But if you went to alternate day deliveries then all sorts of things become possible . . . staggered starts, prepping upon return from delivery, all kinds of novelty hinging largely on everything going as planned - which is usually where royal mail fails, as things seldom do.

Is it time to bin the USO?

20 Sep 2019, 16:30

So my idea is do-able with a few changes then? It would minimize job losses.

Is it time to bin the USO?

21 Sep 2019, 04:29

postslippete wrote:The USO is what keeps us all in jobs. Getting rid of it totally probably means getting rid of half the workforce! As for Tuesdays or Saturdays to be axed from the USO, my rationale would that it would be Saturday that the business would lean towards, not because staff prefer to have the weekends off, but because a lot of businesses and schools are closed on Saturday.

Alas they don't get much that generates revenue ie Packets parcels home shopping Is where the money is so Tuesday off everyone who wants the USO gone and 18% of the workforce!

Previous page Next page


Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4