not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Is it time to bin the USO?

11 Sep 2019, 19:36

And would the public really care? If handled correctly could be plenty of VRs for the old and knackered, and maybe end up with delivery spans cut if walks are taken out every other day and the duty holder has 2 deliveries to prep. Obviously next day delivery would come at a premium price.And help the company to concentrate on getting where the money is in parcels.

11 Sep 2019, 19:38

No......

11 Sep 2019, 19:38

For shelfie reasons I would love if I didn't have to work on Saturdays.

11 Sep 2019, 19:39

Edward Hunter wrote:And would the public really care? If handled correctly could be plenty of VRs for the old and knackered, and maybe end up with delivery spans cut if walks are taken out every other day and the duty holder has 2 deliveries to prep. Obviously next day delivery would come at a premium price.And help the company to concentrate on getting where the money is in parcels.

So you are happy for 20k jobs to go? What happens when they want to go down to only delivering letters 3 days a week and want to cut another 40k jobs?

11 Sep 2019, 19:40

glass joe wrote:For shelfie reasons I would love if I didn't have to work on Saturdays.

You don’t HAVE to, go and get a mon-Fri job

11 Sep 2019, 19:42

I usually am done by 12 on Saturday see what happens after the strikes.

11 Sep 2019, 19:42

even if USO went you can expect Saturday to still be a delivery day

11 Sep 2019, 19:48

TBF royal mail would get rid of 10% off full-timers by moving later finishing times on a Saturday to 4-5pm

11 Sep 2019, 19:59

The uso has to stay simple,we have to keep on serving the British public 6 days a week

11 Sep 2019, 20:02

when is the uso up for review I thought it was brought forward from 2022 to next year (2020) our Dom said its in 5years tme

11 Sep 2019, 20:06

So you are happy for 20k jobs to go? What happens when they want to go down to only delivering letters 3 days a week and want to cut another 40k jobs?[/quote]

Not particularly, but im talking about in a sensible negotiated way. Im pretty sure a lot of posties would be up for VR - we are an aging workforce. Cutting delivery spans is a must for the job to be long term sustainable. The point im making is 90% of letters we deliver are not time sensitive.

11 Sep 2019, 20:18

NO , as this isn't about the service it is the only way the company can save and make more money now is to get rid of posties .

11 Sep 2019, 20:25

USO is next year there probably a lot of money being in paid in lobbying to get rid of it.

11 Sep 2019, 20:35

claystones wrote:when is the uso up for review I thought it was brought forward from 2022 to next year (2020) our Dom said its in 5years tme

you are correct

11 Sep 2019, 21:46

ballsup wrote:even if USO went you can expect Saturday to still be a delivery day

Rubbish

11 Sep 2019, 22:34

glass joe wrote:TBF royal mail would get rid of 10% off full-timers by moving later finishing times on a Saturday to 4-5pm

Probably most posties would consider leaving the job if duty times were moved to a 1700 duty end time on weekdays let alone for Saturday's. You have to have some quality of life and a decent work/life balance. I think in years past and maybe even now people were attracted to this job because you could finish earlier in the day or afternoon to enable time for other activities or even to fit in another part time job or for family commitments etc. This element of the duty time has been degraded over time by both the CWU with their SWW and by RM with their cost cutting regime. If it goes much further this will be a traditional 9 to 5 job but with all the hassle and aggro from RM on top as well. In the end RM will find it much more difficult to find people willing to work for them if they don't change direction.

11 Sep 2019, 22:37

No its not time to go and the jobs with it

Millions rely on mail 6 days a week all around the uk

Not for greedy fat cats to take away for there own personal greed

11 Sep 2019, 22:46

chickenwittle wrote:
ballsup wrote:even if USO went you can expect Saturday to still be a delivery day

Rubbish

There are two possible major changes on the USO front. The one more likely to be pushed is an every other day service for letters and flats with an every day service for packets & parcels. I imagine they might look for changes to delivery for the Scottish islands & other more difficult locations. They should look to level playing field changes such as a rethink of the DSA and enforcement of minimum wage requirements for the competition but those issues haven't been mentioned.
Regarding the five day operation plan I don't think they will go for that. If they do then the wise and obvious choice would be to drop the Tuesday. If they wanted to break the strike vote or make the false impression that they care about the workforce then Saturday would be another option. It would lead to thousands more job losses though so the union would fight it tooth and nail.

11 Sep 2019, 22:50

Don't get too excited about generous redundancy payments as they will be the next thing in Royal Mails firing line. There's no way they can afford to pay thousands off under the current system.

12 Sep 2019, 00:05

Sorry to say

Dont worry about redundancy packages

First in first out saves money

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4