not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Is a National strike going to work?

12 Sep 2019, 11:52

I sure most will crack when the threat of withdrawing the Christmas stamp allocation comes out?

12 Sep 2019, 14:46

darkgable wrote:We Know whats going to happen ! Again i expect this Ballot to Get a Massive yes vote ! Bigger than before !! So the union either has to announce Strike action ! Or go back to the Table with Royal mail . I expect the latter to happen . So now we need the CWU to negotiate a deal which will represent its members ! I expect as before Royal will introduce something new . Which will be detrimental to its staff. With the offer of cash payment . We will be advised to accept the deal . With the union saying . This is the best deal, and you should have seen the other stuff they wanted to introduce. Then in 12 -16 months the same thing will happen again ! Rinse and Repeat ! I wish the union were alot stronger . They have the backing of the Majority of the members . But constantly let them down

Anyone else take all the capital letters out of this to see if there was a secret message?

12 Sep 2019, 15:59

chat****getbanged wrote:
darkgable wrote:We Know whats going to happen ! Again i expect this Ballot to Get a Massive yes vote ! Bigger than before !! So the union either has to announce Strike action ! Or go back to the Table with Royal mail . I expect the latter to happen . So now we need the CWU to negotiate a deal which will represent its members ! I expect as before Royal will introduce something new . Which will be detrimental to its staff. With the offer of cash payment . We will be advised to accept the deal . With the union saying . This is the best deal, and you should have seen the other stuff they wanted to introduce. Then in 12 -16 months the same thing will happen again ! Rinse and Repeat ! I wish the union were alot stronger . They have the backing of the Majority of the members . But constantly let them down

Anyone else take all the capital letters out of this to see if there was a secret message?

Good one mate ! No Hidden message ! Just try and get your head around what i have written . Its not that complexed lol . Grammar police these days : :Applause

12 Sep 2019, 18:18

Stop slagin off the union without them we are cannon fodder for Rico and co stay strong and we will win

12 Sep 2019, 18:36

Define "win".
How many tens of thousands of jobs have gone over the last decade?
Have we been "winning"?

12 Sep 2019, 18:48

It's still early days. Managers often play down the effectiveness of a union strike and it goes something along the lines of "don't be thinking that when you come back in from the gates that you will have everything you wanted". I'm not militant and like others I would rather not strike because no one really wins. We lose money in the short term but in the longer term Royal Mail lose business and as they keep reminding themselves in previous strikes - they may not get that business back. For a privatised company now heavily concerned about its share price,the question is can they really afford that to happen??

Personally, I will vote YES as i can manage on losing a days pay a week but I won't bother staying on the gate,I'll just put my feet up at home. :coolr

Strikes don't last forever and unfortunately it's one of those things I guess we should accept unless we want to roll over and let the company sh@ft us with inferior terms and conditions. Things we take for granted like would definitely go,things like....paid breaks, decent sick pay instead of the basic statutory sick pay and of course,a decent hourly wage for what many still class as an 'unskilled' job. We need the company to stick to it's agreements. I'm not bothered about the SWW if it is unsustainable but I am concerned about arrogant CEOs who dont listen to staff.

12 Sep 2019, 19:10

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
GRS wrote:
number one wrote:
GRS wrote:Don’t know if it’s 100% correct but got told today that the union are going straight out for a 6 day strike for starters! Not sure whether that’ll be all out for 6 days or:

Day 1 processing
Day 2 Distribution
Day 3 Delivery

And repeat for the next 3 days.

And who told you that? Don’t listen to nonsense. Rumours in this company are crazy and people fall for them

And how do you know it’s not correct!!

We don't.

But do you really believe Royal Mail Management, local and national, won't use misinformation and fear to scare people from striking?

So the easiest and best action is to disbelieve any rumour, from any source until it's confirmed in writing or in person.

But I didn’t say this came from management!!

12 Sep 2019, 20:25

Mike1259 wrote:Stop slagin off the union without them we are cannon fodder for Rico and co stay strong and we will win

I fully realise without the union we would be totally screwed . By no means do i think i could negotiate a better deal. But these guys at the top of the union are getting paid Good money i imagine , and its there job to get the best Agreements for the membership. Have they done that in the past :hmmmm

13 Sep 2019, 06:49

the strike will play into royal mails plans as the company will lose so much money with a prolonged strike then they can offer new contracts take it or leave it terms thatcher done the same trick look what happened to the miners only saying :cuppa

13 Sep 2019, 16:51

slinder123 wrote:the strike will play into royal mails plans as the company will lose so much money with a prolonged strike then they can offer new contracts take it or leave it terms thatcher done the same trick look what happened to the miners only saying :cuppa

Yep and this is where we’re snookered!!!!!! Roll over do nothing and we’re buggered and yet go out on strike and the biggest risk is what you say. I think this is how it’ll end up playing out. After a period of striking people will be desperate to get back to work (purely for financial reasons), RM know this and it could well be that we return on their terms.

13 Sep 2019, 19:53

slinder123 wrote:the strike will play into royal mails plans as the company will lose so much money with a prolonged strike then they can offer new contracts take it or leave it terms thatcher done the same trick look what happened to the miners only saying :cuppa

I maybe wrong but I think changes to contracts cannot happen in the event of an official dispute only if a dispute is unofficial. Im sure someone will corect me if I'm wrong.

15 Sep 2019, 11:44

Let's face facts here.
When I listen to Terry Pullinger ranting about this great public service he is either plain daft or in total denial.
We are in the digital age - this is only going to advance.
10 years ago;
I had bank statements delivered - now download online.
Had magazine subscriptions - many, many magazines are gone or moved online.
Remember Sky mags?
I went to a T20 cricket match and no paper tickets were issued - an app on my phone.
Less and less people send christmas, birthday cards - face book messages, texts, whatsapp messages.
Fewer and fewer people buy CD's - downloads.
I never get utility bills posted - sent via email.
Letters will simply decline year on year.

The Postman / woman will go the way of the milkman.

Royal Mail will be a parcels company that deliver letters

It's a dying industry.

The postman / woman will be known as a courier.

That's just one side.

Royal Mail are years behind in their own technology - they will advance this in the coming years with more and more sorting technology.

110,000 postal workers will be slashed in their tens of thousands over the coming years.

The CWU need to recognise this and fight to maintain good quality jobs for the ones left and the ones whose jobs will be lost.

Will they ????

It seems to me that the CWU's biggest worry is for themselves.

If 17,000 of the 20,000 jobs lost are CWU members then;
17,000 x £3.90(?) per week = £66,300 per week
Nearly £3.5 million per year.

Does anyone honestly believe that letters need to be delivered 6 days per week?

The USO review has been brought forward 2 years for a reason - it is unsustainable / unneccesary in today's world and will only become even less neccessary.

Who are the CWU really fighting for ?????

15 Sep 2019, 12:16

But moya greene agreed to a plan for all of that.rico's just putting two fingers up.

15 Sep 2019, 15:47

Coinbags wrote:10 years ago;
Remember Sky mags?
I went to a T20 cricket match and no paper tickets were issued - an app on my phone.
Less and less people send christmas, birthday cards - face book messages, texts, whatsapp messages.

The main thing I get through the post are banks repeatedly sending me 'You have been approved for our credit card', each of my banks send me these 5 times a year. It's pointless. Maybe I can opt out of this nonsense.

If today everyone in the UK opted out of all the junk mail they have signed up to get.....post would drop dramatically.

The only things people need on a set day, quickly, are documents if they are sorting out a mortgage/house purchase/bank cards/setting up a bank account. Basically anything to do with important financial situations or passports.

I am not sure junk mail will die out, if anything it may go up. People don't opt out when signing up to websites and can't be bothered to cancel.

If they went down to a 4 day working week - I would not complain. Lets work Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. Perfect. The weekend and Wednesdays off.
Last edited by norris9 on 15 Sep 2019, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

15 Sep 2019, 15:53

Coinbags wrote:Let's face facts here.
When I listen to Terry Pullinger ranting about this great public service he is either plain daft or in total denial.
We are in the digital age - this is only going to advance.
10 years ago;
Remember Sky mags?

Royal Mail will be a parcels company that deliver letters

It's a dying industry.

The postman / woman will be known as a courier.

That's just one side.

Royal Mail are years behind in their own technology - they will advance this in the coming years with more and more sorting technology.

110,000 postal workers will be slashed in their tens of thousands over the coming years.

The CWU need to recognise this and fight to maintain good quality jobs for the ones left and the ones whose jobs will be lost.

Will they ????

It seems to me that the CWU's biggest worry is for themselves.

If 17,000 of the 20,000 jobs lost are CWU members then;
17,000 x £3.90(?) per week = £66,300 per week
Nearly £3.5 million per year.

The USO review has been brought forward 2 years for a reason - it is unsustainable / unneccesary in today's world and will only become even less neccessary.

More to the point who are you fighting for. At the end of the day if this is the beginning of the end of this industry and the future as bleak as you paint it, then we have absolutely nothing to lose. I for one have never surrendered to anything or anyone without fighting my corner and if I lose I do so with dignity and with my head held high.

15 Sep 2019, 16:24

Fight for the right for fairness and respect in the workforce. Yes
Fight against Rico Backs attempts for a zero hours workforce. Yes
But fighting technology ?
All I'm saying is job losses are inevitable (my opinion)
The CWU need to get real (my opinion)

15 Sep 2019, 16:47

Coinbags wrote:Fight for the right for fairness and respect in the workforce. Yes

I am not naive to think that there will be no job losses as ultimately there will be eventually and yes the CWU does need to focus more on the things you mention but I also think any large scale changes to the business should be done in a more considered and controlled way with the heirachy being a little more sympathetic to the workforce without whom given the amount of service a lot have put in have made the company what it is. If it was not for a lot of the goodwill, unpaid overtime and going the extra mile over the years by the workforce this company could if gone down the pan years ago.

15 Sep 2019, 17:06

Coinbags wrote:Fight for the right for fairness and respect in the workforce. Yes

Yes.

Not just your opinion. There are far too many posties with their heads in the clouds dreaming of Mon-Fri working or some other such fantasy (it'd be lovely but it's simply not going to happen).

15 Sep 2019, 19:00

TP raised the point in the recent Facebook live broadcast that in terms of technology watching how we do the job it has become a bit unpleasant. We are being monitored closely on the engine idling thing and the figures coming up on screen do not seem accurate at all. No surprise there though given that a lot of what RM comes out with is incorrect at best.
I have mentioned before that I wouldn't mind being paid for the time it takes to complete my walk via automated clocking in. Whether RM would want to pay posties several thousand quid more a year is another matter I guess. It would be a problem for any posties that routinely finish early though.
In terms of an every other day delivery for letters & flats on my frame it would be a bit of a squeeze to get it all in. In other offices with two address points in single slots it would be impossible to do. Rico Black and his new cohorts really have no idea how to run this business.

18 Sep 2019, 20:00

Coinbags wrote:

A lot of people seem to overlook the fact that while RM is now a private company we are still regulated like a public service.

We're still expected to provide a universal public service, the 6 day service is written into law within the postal services act 2011. OFCOM is the regulator, and their role is to maintain the sustainability of the Universal service, by ensuring it's financially viable (they have certain levers they can pull on this front), and by ensuring reasonable efficiencies are met by us. Considering Royal Mail is still turning a profit, and it should be well placed to take advantage of the increase in packets and parcels. It's hard to see OFCOM advocating a reduction in the Universal Service at the next review.

The whole idea of the USO is that the unprofitable parts of the business are offset by the profitable ones, in order to provide a universal service, i.e., the same cost to send a letter or parcel anywhere in the UK, 6 days a week.

It's more of a political decision, than a business decision. How important is the service to customers, and is it required. Because in terms of sustainability, it's probably got more legs left in it, than people think...

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3