not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

National Ballot - Part-timers just don't care

07 Sep 2019, 19:30

k979aaa wrote:We all are the same part time full time we get paid a wage the same wage if you do 12 months in the job it is hours you are contracted to do most of this is stipulated in your contract we don't bale out the part time staff you are under obligation to assist as you are an employee of the business the manager can direct his her staff as they see fit. What is not allowed is victimisation of staff ie threats to honourer contracts of staff that is in part of a unions job or any threat of their of it would seam we could go on a misguided idealism but we are in strange times. The part time staff need to understand if they came into Royal Mail that these wages were fought for not given to us and if you don't want minimum wages they too will have to fight for their rights pay and indeed terms of employment!

I've heard this sort of thing said before, when you think of the amount of money the union get out of all of us it's only right they are working for us, I dont think the terms and conditions are all that good, I know of lots of people working in different industries who earn alot more, get better holiday pay and are not treated the way we are I like the job and the hours suit which is why I'm still here.

07 Sep 2019, 19:52

Walking boots wrote:
k979aaa wrote:We all are the same part time full time we get paid a wage the same wage if you do 12 months in the job it is hours you are contracted to do most of this is stipulated in your contract we don't bale out the part time staff you are under obligation to assist as you are an employee of the business the manager can direct his her staff as they see fit. What is not allowed is victimisation of staff ie threats to honourer contracts of staff that is in part of a unions job or any threat of their of it would seam we could go on a misguided idealism but we are in strange times. The part time staff need to understand if they came into Royal Mail that these wages were fought for not given to us and if you don't want minimum wages they too will have to fight for their rights pay and indeed terms of employment!

I've heard this sort of thing said before, when you think of the amount of money the union get out of all of us it's only right they are working for us, I dont think the terms and conditions are all that good, I know of lots of people working in different industries who earn alot more, get better holiday pay and are not treated the way we are I like the job and the hours suit which is why I'm still here.

Almost £11 an hour for an unskilled job, 22 and a half days annual leave, sick pay and a company pension, secure employment (currently, lets try and keep it that way) vs a zero hour contract form of employment with no additional benefits. Know which one i'd prefer.

Oh and the union subs, cost of 2 pints of lager a month and peanuts really for all of the protection and fighting for our rights that they do.

07 Sep 2019, 20:12

pinstripe wrote:In defence of the part timers, they are treated like garbage by management, treated like a hinderance by their full time colleagues, and treated like an afterthought by the union. They have the same bills to pay, the same childcare issues and the same pressure during their working day, all for, if they are lucky, two thirds of a full time wage, with little hope of a full time position. To expect them to whole heartedly fight alongside people who treat them like cr** on a daily basis, to protect these people’s pensions, to get them another hour of their working week, to protect their full time jobs, only to be forgotten, abused, ridiculed and ignored once the battle is over, is unlikely to happen. It’s a two way street, support your part time colleagues, if you want them to support you. We are all meant to be in this together, RM didn’t make this FT/PT division, we did.

Well said!!!!!!!!

07 Sep 2019, 20:18

pinstripe wrote:In defence of the part timers, they are treated like garbage by management, treated like a hinderance by their full time colleagues, and treated like an afterthought by the union. They have the same bills to pay, the same childcare issues and the same pressure during their working day, all for, if they are lucky, two thirds of a full time wage, with little hope of a full time position. To expect them to whole heartedly fight alongside people who treat them like cr** on a daily basis, to protect these people’s pensions, to get them another hour of their working week, to protect their full time jobs, only to be forgotten, abused, ridiculed and ignored once the battle is over, is unlikely to happen. It’s a two way street, support your part time colleagues, if you want them to support you. We are all meant to be in this together, RM didn’t make this FT/PT division, we did.

In my experience Managers tend to treat all staff, part time and full time, poorly except for the few blue eyes within a unit. The one hour reduction is also a pay rise for us part timers. All posties need to stick together on this one, its us versus the employer.

07 Sep 2019, 23:47

Gasman11 wrote:

In my experience Managers tend to treat all staff, part time and full time, poorly except for the few blue eyes within a unit. The one hour reduction is also a pay rise for us part timers. All posties need to stick together on this one, its us versus the employer.

Well said we are all working the same job if in the instance you feel like your treated like crap just tell them they get the same pay as you I always find it slightly amusing the befuddled look on their face!

08 Sep 2019, 07:14

Gasman11 wrote:
In my experience Managers tend to treat all staff, part time and full time, poorly except for the few blue eyes .

In our experience managers, full time staff and the union treat part time staff poorly.

08 Sep 2019, 09:33

part time staff in our office get at least 2hrs 30 overtime every day, they come in and do 2 duties and thats it, they then tell the gaffer "i wont be taking my last two or three loops" and he says fine just leave it. they dont get half the grief that the ft staff get and they can get away with all sorts. any divide in our office is because of the attitude of both ft and pt staff. always appears to be one comment away from rolling about in the car park kicking lumps out of each other. royal mail management have created a poisonous atmosphere in the workplace and are unwilling to deal with it. i think there will be a massive yes vote.

08 Sep 2019, 09:52

staff1974 wrote:...... i think there will be a massive yes vote.

Unfortunately not so sure myself - hope to be proved wrong but don't think the result will be as big as last time. Echoing other
comments on this site, there are loads of people who are not aware of what's going off, many new employees who come from the
'gig economy' working environment and don't see RM as a long term career, don't see the issues impacting them and
don't belong to the CWU.

Last time the pension issue was the 'biggie' for everyone that carried the vote and that was supposedly sorted......still waiting.....but
from what I can see that's not part of this dispute as it's awaiting legislation to be passed.....still waiting.......

08 Sep 2019, 10:36

I'm a part timer and In my do, our union rep makes sure any union meetings can be attended by both ft and part time staff, posters all over the office letting us know about meetings. The only people who don't know are the people who don't bother to pay attention. I have been at royal mail just over 3 months and the tension in our office between the posties and management is crackers, daily arguments when we mention we won't be able to Complete on time and will have to leave some behind, the "oh s**t, you've left it to late to tell me that, we are ducked now if you don't take that, I've no one else to take it" drivel comes out which makes most the newest posties feel like they have to take it.

Also annoys me the people running around like Usain bolt, literally running round!! the other day my partner was cracking the whip all day when we got to the last loop with an hour to kill so I thought to myself I'm going bloody steady on this one. Anyone probably going off topic a lot on this one but in my office pters do care as much as fters, everyone's ready for the ballot and everyone ive spoken to about it Has said they are voting yes so fingers crossed we all stick together to fight this.

08 Sep 2019, 10:36

clashcityrocker wrote:
Gasman11 wrote:
In my experience Managers tend to treat all staff, part time and full time, poorly except for the few blue eyes .

In our experience managers, full time staff and the union treat part time staff poorly.

Have to agree to disagree with you there sorry pal, what is becoming apparent is that the very future of all of our roles is under threat of damaging change and the only way we can challenge that is for all posties to put their differences aside and fight together. If we do we have a chance, if we dont, well i dread to think about the outlook .

08 Sep 2019, 11:05

Cantsayno wrote:the other day my partner was cracking the whip all day when we got to the last loop with an hour to kill so I thought to myself I'm going bloody steady on this one.

Does your partner realise that at some point an hours more worth of work will get added?

08 Sep 2019, 13:43

Whilst we're (sort of) on the topic of PTers being treated like s**t, I have been on a different walk every day this week, none of which I had done previously. On two occasions I was partnered with fellow PTers and next to no prep had been done for our walks prior to our arrival. Made managers aware ASAP that we were up against it and that we wouldn't be in a position to take oversize parcels or absorption if we stood any chance of completing on time. This was dismissed and we were told to focus on tying up our walks instead of "moaning" about such things. Didn't get out of the office until gone ten o'clock, at which point we reiterated our earlier comments regarding oversize and absorption, only to be made to feel like a pair of incompetent wasters. I've only been doing this job a few months, but this really has been the worst week I've known in that time.

08 Sep 2019, 15:50

It's been suggested in our office we could have a bit of a whip round for the part timers, any strike action for those on 25 hours & less would take them well under the £200 mark? Unless they could use the strike day as their day off?

08 Sep 2019, 16:19

twoloops wrote:It's been suggested in our office we could have a bit of a whip round for the part timers, any strike action for those on 25 hours & less would take them well under the £200 mark? Unless they could use the strike day as their day off?

Suffrage is part and parcel of our lot we don't need recompense just a future and for that I stand with you all.

08 Sep 2019, 16:30

Part-timers are usually newbies that have started over the last few years, although I know yes there are part-timers who have been with us for yonks depending on what area you are.

A lot of newbies (part-timers...remember?) are usually treated like s**t by management AND their colleagues, I have been reading about it on here for years, in 'some' places.
I put 'some' because it's not everywhere that they treated like a nuisance, 'some' have reaped what they have sowed...s**t happens...it is what it is....ect..ect......ect.

'

08 Sep 2019, 18:08

Unfortunately, on the most part, I have to agree with most of what is being said in this thread.

There are a lot (I won't say all as that would be unfair) part timers in our office come in an hour early just so they can "finish early", except some days, especially Wednesday through to Friday, they're coming in early to finish on time! BUT! There are also an equal amount of full time staff also coming in early.

However, on the other hand, if some part timers don't care about this current disagreement then are they likely to be union members? After all, it's union memebers who are ultimately the ones who are deciding whether we take strike action or not?

Just a side note - I am a part timer. I will be voting yes.

08 Sep 2019, 18:15

grumpazoid wrote:Whilst we're (sort of) on the topic of PTers being treated like s**t, I have been on a different walk every day this week, none of which I had done previously. On two occasions I was partnered with fellow PTers and next to no prep had been done for our walks prior to our arrival. Made managers aware ASAP that we were up against it and that we wouldn't be in a position to take oversize parcels or absorption if we stood any chance of completing on time. This was dismissed and we were told to focus on tying up our walks instead of "moaning" about such things. Didn't get out of the office until gone ten o'clock, at which point we reiterated our earlier comments regarding oversize and absorption, only to be made to feel like a pair of incompetent wasters. I've only been doing this job a few months, but this really has been the worst week I've known in that time.

If this type of bullsh*t went on with me I'd potentially hand in my notice there and then. This type of treatment here in the UK is ridiculous, an outrage.

This type of disorganised mess and harassment for just 1 day is enough....to have to deal with this all week....shame on them.

02 Oct 2019, 19:23

After some advice.
I’m a part timer and still on my probation period. I am currently off sick following an operation but have been told by management that my probation period will be extended which sounds fair.

I want to support the CWU but considering the above circumstances I don’t want to push my luck any further so considering a NO vote.

Do management find out who have voted which way apart from when it comes to strike action? I am new to this industry and have never been in a similar position before.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Cheers!

02 Oct 2019, 19:38

No your vote Is private but remember you are getting paid for being off sick that might all change in the future

02 Oct 2019, 20:05

Bobbyh wrote:After some advice.
I’m a part timer and still on my probation period. I am currently off sick following an operation but have been told by management that my probation period will be extended which sounds fair.

I want to support the CWU but considering the above circumstances I don’t want to push my luck any further so considering a NO vote.

Do management find out who have voted which way apart from when it comes to strike action? I am new to this industry and have never been in a similar position before.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Cheers!

No manager will ever find out how you voted and if you think voting No will help you in the future, think again :)
If you want to stay in this job, my advice is to vote yes.

I know being under 1 year in the job means no sick pay and you have my simphaty, I hope your operation went ok and you`ll get well soon.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4