not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

National Ballot - Part-timers just don't care

06 Sep 2019, 10:46

1617mel wrote:Same old, how sad the RM hierarchy are rubbing their hands ,this is what they wanted a massive division between the ranks, RM and CWU both know eventually the
outcome will be even if it takes a few more years even the amount specified for the RM changes [giant parcel sorting depots etc.] that we will go down the route to zero hours contracts etc. an aging workforce , more and more part time workers creating more and more divide, you don't have to be Einstein to se it coming , rico back knows this , so even if he loses some of what he wants implemented , its only a matter of time ..................

Which is why im abstaining.

06 Sep 2019, 11:15

leolion855 wrote:

Leo the lion.
Meow.

06 Sep 2019, 11:50

Woody Guthrie wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

Leo the lion.
Meow.

I dont believe Rico will listen to a yes vote, but i dont want to stop the people believing it will from having 'their day'

06 Sep 2019, 16:07

Well done Ruby :thumbup
Some full timers need to have a look at themselves rushing part timers out the door just so they can finish early, when their prep isn’t ready - it’s not their fault, it’s a management issue. Support your colleagues!

06 Sep 2019, 16:19

Celgar wrote:.......... What happens if these posties have children to collect from school but read the advert and think this is a job for them?

They get cheesed off and leave.........

06 Sep 2019, 17:28

Managers take the piss out of part timers and new starters, some newer members of staff have never worked in a unionised business before and so therefore don't understand that as a working man or woman YOU do have rights in the workplace.

A 35 hour week will bring us closer together and that is something RM don't want!

All I can say is back the Union because without it things would be a hell of a lot worse than it is now.

06 Sep 2019, 18:46

Down with this sort of thing!

06 Sep 2019, 20:52

GRS wrote:
Walking boots wrote:I'm a part timer, I think for alot of us this isnt a forever job, more of a stopgap, I like being a postman but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got laid off, I will do this job for as long as it works for me, if changes get made I will decide if I still want the job.
Having said that I will vote yes in support of the union and my colleagues, if it goes to a strike I will enjoy the time off and not be anywhere near the picket line.

Funnily enough I was having this conversation with my P&L partner yesterday. I get the feeling that most people who have come into the business in roughly the last 5 or so years don’t really see RM as a long term job. Unlike longer serving FT who (even though many won’t admit it) are probably in for the long haul the PT see it more as a stop gap job. This obviously suits RM as the one one thing they detest is long serving staff - they want a high turnover of people where the employee stays for maybe a year or two at most. As has been mentioned in other comments, under these circumstances most recent recruits who will be PT are not going to feel the same anger towards RM as they don’t have such a long term investment in the company.

I have just got a mortgage. I have been working for RM for over two years now. I need job security....I don't see my job as a stopgap at all.

06 Sep 2019, 21:41

Some/most of the full timers in my office are worse than the managers,finding out weeks in advance which newbie/part timer would be covering their partners leave & then having them moved & swopped around to different walks, while slagging them off in the managers office & crew room in front of all the other posties, s**t sticks & none of the other posties want to work with the new newbie,I hate to see bullying, sadly quite a lot of the long standing posties are worst than the managers, you should hang your heads in shame, shame on you.

06 Sep 2019, 22:08

twoloops wrote:Some/most of the full timers in my office are worse than the managers,finding out weeks in advance which newbie/part timer would be covering their partners leave & then having them moved & swopped around to different walks, while slagging them off in the managers office & crew room in front of all the other posties, s**t sticks & none of the other posties want to work with the new newbie,I hate to see bullying, sadly quite a lot of the long standing posties are worst than the managers, you should hang your heads in shame, shame on you.

It doesn't make sense for it to be like that.

The Part-Timer is there to help when the Full-Timer's partner is away. Full-Timers should expect that for approx 4 weeks a year they will possibly be put with someone else that may be slow. Just cut-off. Within time these Part-Timers will learn your walks and speed up. If you scare them off you will just end up with new recruits to train up to learn these walks all over again. If it's that much of an issue, if possible, just book the same days off that your partner does.

I have not witnessed this in my office, but I do sometimes get put with Full-Timers on a van share and then when I get in in the morning they request to go out on their own, and end up leaving me on my own on a walk I don't know that well and leave me having to do a load of prep.....I end up leaving the depot last.

Overall there isn't, from what I can see, a divide between Full-Timer and Part-Timers, but there is for sure stressed out Full-Timers who do worry about being put with a Part-Timer.

As for this Ballot.....maybe these Part-Timers this thread is about are new and they don't really know much about what's happend in the past and what exactly is going on now.

06 Sep 2019, 22:20

norris9 wrote: I do sometimes get put with Full-Timers on a van share and then when I get in in the morning they request to go out on their own, and end up leaving me on my own on a walk I don't know that well and leave me having to do a load of prep.....I end up leaving the depot last.

Shocking ... Request a van & go out on their own, request a van & go out on their own. You all know it happens, hang your heads in shame. Shame on you.

07 Sep 2019, 01:41

norris9 wrote:
grumpazoid wrote:It seems that a lot of part-timers are giving management the idea that they can do whatever they want to their staff. Does anyone else get that impression?

What complete and utter tosh...management don't care about any of you...just all about THEIR pay rise/bonus*/pension....
*will be perceived by many mngrs. as our fault...DIVIDE AND RULE HEAD RICO WINS. Grumpazoid needs to take aim higher when spouting bile - not sideways you twonk! :coolr

07 Sep 2019, 05:05

norris9 wrote:
twoloops wrote:Some/most of the full timers in my office are worse than the managers,finding out weeks in advance which newbie/part timer would be covering their partners leave & then having them moved & swopped around to different walks, while slagging them off in the managers office & crew room in front of all the other posties, s**t sticks & none of the other posties want to work with the new newbie,I hate to see bullying, sadly quite a lot of the long standing posties are worst than the managers, you should hang your heads in shame, shame on you.

Overall there isn't, from what I can see, a divide between Full-Timer and Part-Timers, but there is for sure stressed out Full-Timers who do worry about being put with a Part-Timer.

These are the contemptible shower of shite that managers are lumbered with...and ALL fellow staff kno that 'they' are nobheads; but it really does not matter. do your work. get paid. go home. IT'S YOUR DIGNITY THAT COUNTS. Sadly 'they' are colleagues that will only try to make others look bad in order to make themselves (in their own heads, anyway) feel/look better. Bitter twats. :coolr

07 Sep 2019, 06:34

How long is the strike going to be for?? 1 day strike would just be absorbed like a BH.

07 Sep 2019, 06:49

work wrote:
norris9 wrote:
grumpazoid wrote:It seems that a lot of part-timers are giving management the idea that they can do whatever they want to their staff. Does anyone else get that impression?

What complete and utter tosh...management don't care about any of you...just all about THEIR pay rise/bonus*/pension....
*will be perceived by many mngrs. as our fault...DIVIDE AND RULE HEAD RICO WINS. Grumpazoid needs to take aim higher when spouting bile - not sideways you twonk! :coolr

Well, these are some of the common working practices I have seen among my part-time colleagues over the last few months:
- Starting work at least half an hour prior to the beginning of their shift
- Not taking a single break
- Using their own vehicle to travel to other DOs in their own time
- Staying out on delivery beyond the end of their shift and not claiming overtime

I'm not necessarily saying that it is the fault of part-timers that they work in this way. On the contrary, managers seem to have encouraged these practices and, over time, they have become "the norm". Colleagues who are prepared to buck the trend (particularly with regard to cutting off and insisting on using a RM vehicle when travelling to another DO) are taken to task by management and treated like naughty school children who have dared to question the authority of a teacher.

07 Sep 2019, 06:53

How often do full-timers get moved off of preparing theirs and the part-timer's walk onto other stuff?

07 Sep 2019, 07:36

grumpazoid wrote:Well, these are some of the common working practices I have seen among my part-time colleagues over the last few months:
- Starting work at least half an hour prior to the beginning of their shift

I don't really understand why a Part-Timer would do this?

If I came in half an hour early I would just end up throwing off the round instead of someone else, so there would be no benefit to me. It would possibly make things worse from me as someone who is faster at throwing off would probably be working some or all of that 30 minutes before I get in to throw my round off.

I am assuming these Part-Timers you speak of are typically put on their own and have been coming in to unprepped rounds so therefore come in 30 minutes early to get the round prepped properly.

I don't know of any part-timers coming in early in our office, it just would not make sense to do so, there would be little to no benefit. I know of many Full-Timers who come in an hour early and I just don't understand why. If they didn't come in early then it's likely their rounds would have to be reduced as they'd never complete them. Royal Mail are laughing at this situation, they are getting way more out of these people than they should.

You hear people saying this job pays good money......well not if you are coming in an hour early each day and therefore working a 40 hour week, but only getting paid for 35.

07 Sep 2019, 14:27

In defence of the part timers, they are treated like garbage by management, treated like a hinderance by their full time colleagues, and treated like an afterthought by the union. They have the same bills to pay, the same childcare issues and the same pressure during their working day, all for, if they are lucky, two thirds of a full time wage, with little hope of a full time position. To expect them to whole heartedly fight alongside people who treat them like cr** on a daily basis, to protect these people’s pensions, to get them another hour of their working week, to protect their full time jobs, only to be forgotten, abused, ridiculed and ignored once the battle is over, is unlikely to happen. It’s a two way street, support your part time colleagues, if you want them to support you. We are all meant to be in this together, RM didn’t make this FT/PT division, we did.

07 Sep 2019, 14:39

pinstripe wrote:In defence of the part timers, they are treated like garbage by management, treated like a hinderance by their full time colleagues, and treated like an afterthought by the union. They have the same bills to pay, the same childcare issues and the same pressure during their working day, all for, if they are lucky, two thirds of a full time wage, with little hope of a full time position. To expect them to whole heartedly fight alongside people who treat them like cr** on a daily basis, to protect these people’s pensions, to get them another hour of their working week, to protect their full time jobs, only to be forgotten, abused, ridiculed and ignored once the battle is over, is unlikely to happen. It’s a two way street, support your part time colleagues, if you want them to support you. We are all meant to be in this together, RM didn’t make this FT/PT division, we did.

Well said. The part-timers in my office are treated poorly - and not just by management. I've been in countless arguments defending their rights and speaking up on their behalf (our union rep doesn't seem to care about them and I just can't help myself from sticking up for them). This 'I'm alright Jack' approach annoys me. I guess this is just modern society though where it's a case of looking after number one.

07 Sep 2019, 17:10

We all are the same part time full time we get paid a wage the same wage if you do 12 months in the job it is hours you are contracted to do most of this is stipulated in your contract we don't bale out the part time staff you are under obligation to assist as you are an employee of the business the manager can direct his her staff as they see fit. What is not allowed is victimisation of staff ie threats to honourer contracts of staff that is in part of a unions job or any threat of their of it would seam we could go on a misguided idealism but we are in strange times. The part time staff need to understand if they came into Royal Mail that these wages were fought for not given to us and if you don't want minimum wages they too will have to fight for their rights pay and indeed terms of employment!

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4