not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

A message to our part-time members: Back your union and vote YES.

02 Sep 2019, 20:13

97gaz wrote:
Celgar wrote:Not sure why an official CWU communication would state RM wish to move to a five day week operation. RM would not want to lose a business day from the week as that would give further advantage to the competitors. If it ever did happen it would be the Tuesday & not the Saturday that goes and everyone knows that.

The thing is we can't give an advantage to the competitors because, mail wise, we have none. We're the only company delivering mail. I don't think business and the general public will be too fussed if they don't get their mail on a Saturday as long as the packets are going out. Cutting a weekday will cause havoc. Can you imagine not delivering letters to the DVLA or the DSS or any other large company. What will they do with their staff given most of their work is likely mail driven? Most of these large companies don't work Saturdays so IMO that'll be the only day they can cut and still keep the public on side. I'm talking about mail only here as packets will still go out on Saturday (and likely Sunday in the future)

I hadn't considered the point about mail not arriving at businesses on a weekday which I see is another factor to consider.
On the other side of the equation the main principle of switching to a five day operation is that EVERYTHING in RM shuts down for that sixth day. In addition until the release of this flyer from the CWU there has been no mention of moving to a five day operation from either side. It's often something that gets thrown out of the rumour mill periodically, and I can see RM deploying it to attack the CWUs position as the workers negotiator, but I think RM will use other changes to source their cost cutting regime. The changes they are hinting at are far more damaging & deal breaking than switching to a five day operation.

03 Sep 2019, 06:33

A five day week with weekends off is a fantasy. Modern corporations simply don't think in those terms. If anything, we'll move to 7 days with you working 5 out of seven rotating (cue head-in-sand wishful-thinker protests that this is impossible for dodgy reason [insert here] . . .). Mail deliveries on alternate days Mon-Fri (with every day possible for a small subscription for businesses) with packets, tracked and specials going out every day.

Wouldn't happen overnight, obviously. But be under no illusion that this would be a desirable end-state for Royal Mail (or whoever buys us out)

03 Sep 2019, 07:01

DGH wrote:(with every day possible for a small subscription for businesses)

Can't see that happening, the mail would still have to be sorted at the outward MC and to a degree at the inward MC.

03 Sep 2019, 07:38

Do i have to vote to strike?

03 Sep 2019, 08:28

leolion855 wrote:Do i have to vote to strike?

Your choice

04 Sep 2019, 20:43

Use your vote - one way or the other don’t sit on the fence !

05 Sep 2019, 19:38

SpacePhoenix wrote:
DGH wrote:(with every day possible for a small subscription for businesses)

Can't see that happening, the mail would still have to be sorted at the outward MC and to a degree at the inward MC.

It still could be. The Delivery Office could just prep all rounds as usual and then take out alternate ones each day. A list of delivery points to be delivered every day would need to be maintained in a similar manner to redirections.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3