not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

A message to our part-time members: Back your union and vote YES.

29 Aug 2019, 21:48

I’m not one of those that believes everything the union tells us , they need to come clean the same as Royal Mail do.

29 Aug 2019, 21:51

chickenwittle wrote:
Gasman11 wrote:You genuinely believe all of the changes being proposed by RM wont involve any job losses?

Not the numbers that are being mentioned , this is supposed to be a 5 year plan , plenty will have left the business in that time in one way or another.If the union could get a deal on no compulsory job losses then I think it would work.

And what kind of deal would that be seeing so they don't much like the last deal or intend to implement the last pay deal which most on here said was crap how would you get a better deal and a deal they will implement and adhere to in the future?

29 Aug 2019, 22:01

k979aaa wrote:
chickenwittle wrote:
Gasman11 wrote:You genuinely believe all of the changes being proposed by RM wont involve any job losses?

Not the numbers that are being mentioned , this is supposed to be a 5 year plan , plenty will have left the business in that time in one way or another.If the union could get a deal on no compulsory job losses then I think it would work.

And what kind of deal would that be seeing so they don't much like the last deal or intend to implement the last pay deal which most on here said was crap how would you get a better deal and a deal they will implement and adhere to in the future?

I agree and mine will be a yes vote but my points are based around moving forward in our interests and royal mails.I think some things Royal Mail are proposing are doable but the union need to get some guarantees .

29 Aug 2019, 22:14

SpacePhoenix wrote:
ted_e_bear wrote:Not sure about the threats of if RM get to lose a day off the USO, yes we know Saturday is a prime parcel day but as parcels aren't covered by the USO I think someone's trying to scaremonger us here to the point of insulting our intelligence, I'd like to guess that it would in fact be Saturday that was dropped for USO items resulting in the obvious mega job losses, RM will of course still be delivering parcels on Saturdays and probably Sundays as well but not by all of us.

I think Tuesdays are more likely to get axed for USO items. The sequencing batches are normally quiet on a Monday

They wouldn't be if letters weren't delivered on Saturdays you'd be sequencing some of Saturdays mail probably. Monday to Friday on the non lat offices might be the carrot royal mail will dangle to get their 5 year plan in, IF they are allowed to cut the uso down to 5 days

Dropping a day during the week just doesn't make sense. Most businesses work monday- Friday. I can see all the city centre businesses and people who work from home jumping for joy it they did it
Last edited by citypostie on 29 Aug 2019, 22:18, edited 2 times in total.

29 Aug 2019, 22:15

I was told by a senior union member just after the last agreement that the SWW would not happen after the first year as there were to many strings attached .My question to the union would be why did they sign up to the deal that they knew would not materialise.

29 Aug 2019, 22:17

citypostie wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
ted_e_bear wrote:Not sure about the threats of if RM get to lose a day off the USO, yes we know Saturday is a prime parcel day but as parcels aren't covered by the USO I think someone's trying to scaremonger us here to the point of insulting our intelligence, I'd like to guess that it would in fact be Saturday that was dropped for USO items resulting in the obvious mega job losses, RM will of course still be delivering parcels on Saturdays and probably Sundays as well but not by all of us.

I think Tuesdays are more likely to get axed for USO items. The sequencing batches are normally quiet on a Monday

They wouldn't be if letters weren't delivered on Saturdays you'd be sequencing some of Saturdays mail probably. Monday to Friday on the non lat offices might be the carrot royal mail will dangle to get their 5 year plan in, IF they are allowed to cut the uso down to 5 days

Agree but how much are the union prepared to tell us

29 Aug 2019, 22:41

Oh, so you are actually going to listen to part-timers now? 2 years ago I voted for strike action on both ballots - having only done 2 -3 years service at that point - the full-timers, most of which had been at RM much longer, were only concerned about THEIR pension and working hours so meekly fell in line when Terry came up with his ' cusp of something special ' blarney. Most of those same people continued to come in early and be out the door by 9.00 - 9.15 while PT staff come in at 830 to trek from one manager to another to find out what walk they have been switched to ( including duty holders ) and then to find piles of mail still to throw up and most/all packets untouched.

Not unusual for PT to leave office an hour or more after FT staff yet are still given the same or more lapsing to do also ( all those extras bits that the full-timers had refused or 'forgotten' to take ! ). Many PT have to work around kids and/or caring responsibilities and yet are bullied and harrassed if they say they can't work over and we often have to forego breaks to make up for the lost time compared to FT staff. When we do work over it's 50/50 chance that we are actually going to be paid for that time.....

Nearly 5 years experience and yet management AND union treat myself ( and so many others ) as 2nd class employees.

I will vote for strike action in spite of the union, not because of it.

30 Aug 2019, 21:48

JKSmudge wrote:Oh, so you are actually going to listen to part-timers now? 2 years ago I voted for strike action on both ballots - having only done 2 -3 years service at that point - the full-timers, most of which had been at RM much longer, were only concerned about THEIR pension and working hours so meekly fell in line when Terry came up with his ' cusp of something special ' blarney. Most of those same people continued to come in early and be out the door by 9.00 - 9.15 while PT staff come in at 830 to trek from one manager to another to find out what walk they have been switched to ( including duty holders ) and then to find piles of mail still to throw up and most/all packets untouched.

Not unusual for PT to leave office an hour or more after FT staff yet are still given the same or more lapsing to do also ( all those extras bits that the full-timers had refused or 'forgotten' to take ! ). Many PT have to work around kids and/or caring responsibilities and yet are bullied and harrassed if they say they can't work over and we often have to forego breaks to make up for the lost time compared to FT staff. When we do work over it's 50/50 chance that we are actually going to be paid for that time.....

Nearly 5 years experience and yet management AND union treat myself ( and so many others ) as 2nd class employees.

Agree with most, although its not all full-timers. You'll find it's the ones that work their day off that dictate to the management. They are usually the ones behind the tippexed staffing sheet every morning. Don't want to work with this one, no time to fully prep frames, picking the easy lapsing. Cant work minute past time, first pick of holidays, list goes on.
I do wonder who the managers are sometimes.

30 Aug 2019, 21:49

JKSmudge wrote:Oh, so you are actually going to listen to part-timers now? 2 years ago I voted for strike action on both ballots - having only done 2 -3 years service at that point - the full-timers, most of which had been at RM much longer, were only concerned about THEIR pension and working hours so meekly fell in line when Terry came up with his ' cusp of something special ' blarney. Most of those same people continued to come in early and be out the door by 9.00 - 9.15 while PT staff come in at 830 to trek from one manager to another to find out what walk they have been switched to ( including duty holders ) and then to find piles of mail still to throw up and most/all packets untouched.

Couldn't have put it better myself Smudge :Applause :Applause :Applause

31 Aug 2019, 02:06

Well basically we knew this would happen because of the introduction of new packet sorting machines and new methods of working along with reduction in head count as they say. But it still is a good paying job but you have to factor the rip off margin and let's start with the top for all the cream in Ireland could not top Mr Back's golden goodbye or hello he invests in our shares when they go down because he says we are not doing good enough so he buys them cheep! And the irony is it was just 15 days before we could sell our hard earned shares before tax now I don't know if this guy is paying tax in this land but he does live in Switzerland so that may clear up his non domiciled residence question! As for the rest of us we need the best deal we can get and that is sticking together and fighting for a deal what you may lose in a week or two or four in strikes will be repaid ten times over in the years to come!

31 Aug 2019, 20:02

spen wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
twoloops wrote:I would have liked to read that but it's not very clear?

Just to recap then:
We have failed to do anything about b&H in the workplace which we know affects you more than anyone else.
We have failed to get an agreement on holiday pay so go to ACAS and do it yourself.
We have done nothing about getting you improved contracts while we went to mediation to protect the SA of your full time colleagues.
We know your part time contract isn't a living wage and you will probably die in poverty in your old age but please vote yes.
We promise you more of the same after ........

Clearer?

And can you at least hold the union meetings after the part timers start time instead of 6 30

I'm full time and don't start until 8am. 8.30 on Tuesday.

31 Aug 2019, 20:15

Do you not think full time staff on impossible walks get bullied and harassed daily when they tell the lino how late they estimate being? Of course we do. There's no excuse for 'foregoing' your breaks to enable you to do lapsing. If you can't complete because someone hasn't prepped your walk up for you, then cut off. They'll soon get the message. Lapsing is only to be done if you have time or you want the overtime to do it.
In our office some full timers have to prep part timers walks up, only for them to be late and the part timers get a flyer if they sneak back in and out that is. All this full time vs part time crap does my head in. People need to take a stand for themselves and not get pushed around by the linos.
If you do the job right, come in on time, use correct equipment, don't tear around they have no reason to question you. People who don't do the above are the biggest threat to jobs. Not mr Back.

31 Aug 2019, 20:31

Gate meetings are hard to organise and are at best disorganised we need an email system type facebook is shite and hangouts is the same we need a communications expert to disseminate the information too all.

31 Aug 2019, 21:48

rambo1 wrote:

Do you not think full time staff on impossible walks get bullied and harassed daily when they tell the lino how late they estimate being? Of course we do. There's no excuse for 'foregoing' your breaks to enable you to do lapsing. If you can't complete because someone hasn't prepped your walk up for you, then cut off. They'll soon get the message. Lapsing is only to be done if you have time or you want the overtime to do it.
In our office some full timers have to prep part timers walks up, only for them to be late and the part timers get a flyer if they sneak back in and out that is. All this full time vs part time crap does my head in. People need to take a stand for themselves and not get pushed around by the linos.
If you do the job right, come in on time, use correct equipment, don't tear around they have no reason to question you. People who don't do the above are the biggest threat to jobs. Not mr Back.

Im a part timer and completely agree with everything you've written there. The bigger issue is not about full timers vs part timers, it's the very future of all of our roles and we have to stick together to have any chance of taking on the employer.

01 Sep 2019, 15:00

Not sure why an official CWU communication would state RM wish to move to a five day week operation. RM would not want to lose a business day from the week as that would give further advantage to the competitors. If it ever did happen it would be the Tuesday & not the Saturday that goes and everyone knows that. It would break the vote on the strike if RM did shut down on Saturday as a lot of posties would like the whole weekend off like most people get BUT it isn't going to happen.
If RM does want to radically change the USO then, like most other main postal operators have already done, they would revert to an every other day operation for letters & flats only. This combined with seasonal and mail volume based walks would result in far more job losses than a five day operation but would enable RM to retain the six day operation.
Not sure either why the CWU are referencing the 20k job losses figure to a five day operation change. This amount of job losses was previously linked to the one in six job losses along with 'productivity' changes. It does seem like scare tactics except that the changes already listed by Martin Walsh are far worse than switching to a five day operation.

01 Sep 2019, 19:37

RM are bound to have another look at some point at new machines to sequence flats and letters together (AFAIK every manufacturer of sorting machines, all the machines can sort/sequence flats and letters together), the big thing will be if they can find one that can also process d2d at the same time.

01 Sep 2019, 20:39

SpacePhoenix wrote:RM are bound to have another look at some point at new machines to sequence flats and letters together (AFAIK every manufacturer of sorting machines, all the machines can sort/sequence flats and letters together), the big thing will be if they can find one that can also process d2d at the same time.
But why spend money on machinery that sorts/sequences a declining part of our industry.

01 Sep 2019, 20:44

Marshamp11 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:RM are bound to have another look at some point at new machines to sequence flats and letters together (AFAIK every manufacturer of sorting machines, all the machines can sort/sequence flats and letters together), the big thing will be if they can find one that can also process d2d at the same time.
But why spend money on machinery that sorts/sequences a declining part of our industry.

If letters and flats go to being every 2 or 3 days you can have a smaller number of sites doing the sequencing and covering a much larger area. It could potentially mean an increased amount of duty time for DO staff being out delivering instead of indoor work

02 Sep 2019, 16:51

clashcityrocker wrote:Just to recap then:
We have failed to do anything about b&H in the workplace which we know affects you more than anyone else.
We have failed to get an agreement on holiday pay so go to ACAS and do it yourself.
We have done nothing about getting you improved contracts while we went to mediation to protect the SA of your full time colleagues.
We know your part time contract isn't a living wage and you will probably die in poverty in your old age but please vote yes.
We promise you more of the same after ........

This is so perfect a summary that I could weep.

02 Sep 2019, 19:40

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3