not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Report from the London Divisional Reps meeting and their take on Royal Mail's capital markets day announcement.

05 Jun 2019, 17:53

clashcityrocker wrote:
Navalron wrote:How can it be a 60% call rate of you deliver 20% of your :households: daily. By doing the job properly yous can beat them at their own game. TFI ive left but feel for a lot of my mates still in the job and most are 25 year plus men and HATE it now. :arrrghhh

Why can't it be a 60% call rate if you deliver 20% of your households daily?

D2D acoount for 100% of one sixth of delivery points per day.
It means the call rate would have to drop to 43% (approx) over the remaing five sixths of delivery points for an overall call rate of 60% or am I on acid or something.

Report from the London Divisional Reps meeting and their take on Royal Mail's capital markets day announcement.

05 Jun 2019, 19:23

Your maths is pretty spot on.
If you do 1/6th of your D2D then on the other 5/6ths of the duty you need to drop to about 50% (every other delivery point) to end up with about an overall call rate of 60%.
If you factor in the call rate being well below that on Monday and Tuesday then that isn't far off in my experience.

05 Jun 2019, 20:10

30+YEARMAN wrote:I think what will happen is all the large parcels the drivers can,t deliver in the afternoon because they haven,t got time etc will end up back on the van share deliveries the next day , even though they will have 200 more houses on their walks.Its all part of their plan. :cuppa

How can they?,they would still be classed as oversized and wouldn't enter the DO

05 Jun 2019, 20:27

gary1975 wrote:
30+YEARMAN wrote:I think what will happen is all the large parcels the drivers can,t deliver in the afternoon because they haven,t got time etc will end up back on the van share deliveries the next day , even though they will have 200 more houses on their walks.Its all part of their plan. :cuppa

How can they?,they would still be classed as oversized and wouldn't enter the DO

AFAIK any LAT items that can't get delivered get sent back to the MC and then get sent out to the normal DO the next day so I'm guessing it'll be the same for all the large parcels. If we get that happen with a lot of large parcels then I don't think it'll be too long before they abandon the idea of having LAT hubs do them and just send them all out to normal DOs again

05 Jun 2019, 23:57

SpacePhoenix wrote:
gary1975 wrote:

AFAIK any LAT items that can't get delivered get sent back to the MC and then get sent out to the normal DO the next day so I'm guessing it'll be the same for all the large parcels. If we get that happen with a lot of large parcels then I don't think it'll be too long before they abandon the idea of having LAT hubs do them and just send them all out to normal DOs again

I would say the large parcels proposal has to be trialled just like any other proposal on a number of different sites to check that it is possible or feasible to achieve. If RM want to divert large parcels to LAT hubs to make time then fill that time with additional delivery points from closing one in six walks then it would not be possible to bring large parcels back to DOs for second delivery attempts. As I have written elsewhere the more we dissect their new parcel proposal the less likely it appears possible to achieve.
The financial press, who may or not have an agenda of their own, are currently tearing RMs business plan to shreds saying that previous billion pounds spends into infrastructure have not improved the business or increased profit and that the current proposal will not either. I think it boils down to RM collating inaccurate and averaged statistics then forcing a 'one size fits all' approach to changes that continually fails. There are just too many variables for them to comprehend.

07 Jun 2019, 19:47

It might have been mentioned on here as I haven't read all the threads. Does this plan mean that Royal Mail have intentions to get rid of Parcelforce because they were supposed to do the big parcels? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep Parcelforce and give them more vans to shift all our bigger parcels that come into the parcel hubs?

That being said, whilst there are a few downsides to van share working, the upside is that we can fit those bigger parcels in the van and it surely makes more sense in terms of petrol and staffing costs to just have one van that drives round the area.

09 Jun 2019, 03:50

postslippete wrote:It might have been mentioned on here as I haven't read all the threads. Does this plan mean that Royal Mail have intentions to get rid of Parcelforce because they were supposed to do the big parcels? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep Parcelforce and give them more vans to shift all our bigger parcels that come into the parcel hubs?

That being said, whilst there are a few downsides to van share working, the upside is that we can fit those bigger parcels in the van and it surely makes more sense in terms of petrol and staffing costs to just have one van that drives round the area.

More Lapsing bigger walks bigger loops!

09 Jun 2019, 09:59

I don't think RM will get rid of Parcelforce as they use larger vans and the size of boxes they deal with would not fit in our vans. Also don't some Parcelforce guys provide their own vans & run on a franchise so there is less cost and responsibility for RM?

09 Jun 2019, 16:28

Celgar wrote:I don't think RM will get rid of Parcelforce as they use larger vans and the size of boxes they deal with would not fit in our vans. Also don't some Parcelforce guys provide their own vans & run on a franchise so there is less cost and responsibility for RM?

They RM wanted this for us too don't be to surprised if this is part of the next deal we are presented with at the end of the year Mr back has done very well for himself with this strategy in Europe enough so he buys lots of shares in RM and the cost to us has yet to be quantified in head count!

10 Jun 2019, 08:00

It was very concerning that when Royal Mail announced their 5 year strategy that they did not mention Parcelforce at all.

Now we know the margins are tight in Parcelforce and that potentially Parcelforce May have been in breach of the law in terms of owner drivers and that the CWU are pushing them on this issue in line with the fact that recent cases such as the Pimlico plumbers cases may mean that owner drivers are entitled to such things as holiday pay.

It is also important that we recognise that Royal Mail delivery more parcels in a week than Parcelforce deliver in a year. That said we need to ensure parcel force members are protected.

Currently on average there are two billion parcels in the UK market and Royal Mail’s share is just over a billion. It is expected that parcels in the uk will grow by an extra billion in the next 5 years and we have to ensure we get as much of this growth as possible. However we will not benefit from this growth if Royal Mail introduce their parcel strategy which means over a thousand delivery offices will lose parcel traffic and at the same time as letters are declining and this will mean significant reduction in hours/ jobs.

11 Jun 2019, 17:06

I wonder if RB's strategy is to roll out the GLS network over here with his 5 year plan?

The displaced RM staff from delivery's would be offered employment, but under GLS T&Cs.

I guess RB has shares in this company (GLS) too, so for him it's a huge win-win.

12 Jun 2019, 06:54

@Martin Walsh, any chance of getting a confirmation from RM about exactly what they mean by the "next day" part of the stuff they intend on routing via the new parcel hubs?

14 Aug 2019, 13:26

parforthewalk wrote:I wonder if RB's strategy is to roll out the GLS network over here with his 5 year plan?

The displaced RM staff from delivery's would be offered employment, but under GLS T&Cs.

I guess RB has shares in this company (GLS) too, so for him it's a huge win-win.

GLS is a subsidiary of Royal Mail. In effect, this means ALL shareholders in Royal Mail are the ultimate owners of GLS.
If you go the website www.gls-group.eu and select United Kingdom as your location, it directs you to the Parcelforce Worldwide site

17 Aug 2019, 12:07

wandle wrote:
parforthewalk wrote:I wonder if RB's strategy is to roll out the GLS network over here with his 5 year plan?

GLS is a subsidiary of Royal Mail. In effect, this means ALL shareholders in Royal Mail are the ultimate owners of GLS.
If you go the website http://www.gls-group.eu and select United Kingdom as your location, it directs you to the Parcelforce Worldwide site

Some shareholders are bigger than others and what is said can influence markets whether that was the intention or not did they personally gain in reducing the market value by said announcements and if so what would the regulators do about it?

17 Aug 2019, 22:11

It certainly seems, as Parcelforce are the UK ‘network partner’ of GLS and we’re being split from one and not placed with the other - which would at least make some sense - that we are being cast off. RMG will no doubt, as you allude, ‘enter’ the UK market with GLS and their owner driver outdoor, zero hours indoor model will become fill the market that Parcelforce occupied. With our terms and conditions that just about allow us to live. How very dare we.

Parcelforce itself will either be allowed to just wither and die not affecting the larger group with its ltd status by removing the international reach (via GLS), taking the few decent contracts we have left...the post office one being our death knell. Choose the order you like. Or maybe be sold off if they can find a mug big enough to not realise how dependent we are on the above.

Nothing will change according to the managers lol remember that band playing as the titanic went down.

17 Aug 2019, 22:37

the_damned wrote:It certainly seems, as Parcelforce are the UK ‘network partner’ of GLS and we’re being split from one and not placed with the other - which would at least make some sense - that we are being cast off. RMG will no doubt, as you allude, ‘enter’ the UK market with GLS and their owner driver outdoor, zero hours indoor model will become fill the market that Parcelforce occupied. With our terms and conditions that just about allow us to live. How very dare we.

Parcelforce itself will either be allowed to just wither and die not affecting the larger group with its ltd status by removing the international reach (via GLS), taking the few decent contracts we have left...the post office one being our death knell. Choose the order you like. Or maybe be sold off if they can find a mug big enough to not realise how dependent we are on the above.

Nothing will change according to the managers lol remember that band playing as the titanic went down.

More like the costa concordia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia the captain jumped the ship first and said f**k the staff and passengers!

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3