not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Report from the London Divisional Reps meeting and their take on Royal Mail's capital markets day announcement.

28 May 2019, 20:34

The terms and conditions uncertainty relates to the proposed 3 parcel sorting hubs only doesnt it, once sorted they'd be distributed to the circa 200 to 300 LAT offices for delivery by OPG staff?

Report from the London Divisional Reps meeting and their take on Royal Mail's capital markets day announcement.

28 May 2019, 20:55

And Martin regarding tracked items, will it be large tracked parcels that will go to the LAT offices or all tracked items?? Also has anyone been informed of RMs plans yet within their local delivery office by the dom so that everyone's aware of whats going on. No meetings in our office yet like. Only been in RM a few years so unsure of the politics and how quickly this kind of thing trickles down to each DO.

28 May 2019, 21:20

I've mentioned to one or two people in my office the background to what I'm reading on here, and what Martin is posting, and I was essentially told by my line-manager (although not in so many words) that I was a troublemaker and to stop shooting my mouth off.

He wasn't able to explain to me, however, how RM proposed to staff the changes to the business that were outlined in the bulletin that he put on our notice board on Capital Markets Day. I was particularly keen to find out as I work in an LAT office that is swamped every day (as are the other offices we cover) with Amazon parcels and it's panic measure, sea-of-the-pants management stuff every day to cover the work in my chronically understaffed office as it is.

29 May 2019, 08:16

So if these new hubs dont get built then none of this will be happening?

29 May 2019, 14:30

Scary reading.

With all the parcels the size of a shoebox potentially ending up at LAT offices for delivery how long before Parcelforce starts losing jobs?

The way this new delivery strategy seems to be pointing is towards white man van parcel deliveries with a battered OPG walking 20+ miles a day with letters in the supposedly declining letters market with a poxy 60% call rate. That bit we all know is bollocks except for maybe Tuesdays then parcels fill in a lot of gaps.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for what they are proposing other than to carve up the company for the sake of profits and massive unnecessary job losses to meet that agenda.

Management in this company seem to have and never have had a clear well thought out plan for steady continual growth. It's just one knee jerk panic reaction after another at the expense of a workforce that does all the donkey work.

The sooner there's a mass walk out the better and this time the CWU better have a pair of bollocks themselves not like the last 2 or 3 times we've had them against the wall for the CWU to buckle and back off.

No more talk of shorter working weeks or pay rises it's job security and better working conditions and an end to the stress and bullying and harassment that goes on in some many DO's.

29 May 2019, 15:05

Tbh we have to protect jobs. As per the 4 Pillars Agreement there was a commitment to grow the business in ensure future success for the business and there are a few routes to that destination. The question is whether RM wants to go that way??? We all know and accept that the business has to change and modernise but every idea coming from RM senior management end up being expensive or "error of judgement". The big problem is we have management who don't have the knowledge or have done the job themselves. They think we are lazy, inefficient and unproductive but they don't know what it takes to get the job done. Alot of the DOMs are encouraging their Posties to bend the rules just so they can get the job done.
Technology has to work hand in hand with us not instead of us and way things are going we will be fined time in time out due to lack of quality by OfCom. I believe that RM wants to make the picture look worse then it actually is because they want OfCom and government to remove the USO totally. Just remember Amazon who are considered a global success has never made a profit but Jeff Bezos is one the worlds richest people. I am up for the fight that is coming because we have to protect OUR company from people who's agenda is going to destroy RM

29 May 2019, 16:43

rainbowwarrior72 wrote:Just remember Amazon who are considered a global success has never made a profit but Jeff Bezos is one the worlds richest people.

In 2018 Amazon USA made a profit of $11.2 Billion!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ons-profit

They also made a profit in the UK, although in some countries they are making a loss.

29 May 2019, 19:50

N'Golo Kante pays more tax in the UK than Amazon. I also question how many of their gig economy drivers have the required level of business insurance. Looking at the kip of some of the vehicles you see i very much doubt it.

30 May 2019, 04:28

Gasman11 wrote:N'Golo Kante pays more tax in the UK than Amazon. I also question how many of their gig economy drivers have the required level of business insurance. Looking at the kip of some of the vehicles you see i very much doubt it.

Yes, the level of taxes Amazon and plenty of other companies pay is a disgrace!
I once had the need to have business car insurance(not RM related) and it was no higher than the standard commuting/personal use premium! But that might just be me?

30 May 2019, 15:49

RobertT wrote:Yes, the level of taxes Amazon and plenty of other companies pay is a disgrace!
I once had the need to have business car insurance(not RM related) and it was no higher than the standard commuting/personal use premium! But that might just be me?

Business insurance is relatively cheap but most insurers won't cover couriers with basic business insurance, for that you really need multi-drop and goods in transit insurance. That's considerably more expensive.

30 May 2019, 19:45

How can it be a 60% call rate of you deliver 20% of your :households: daily. By doing the job properly yous can beat them at their own game. TFI ive left but feel for a lot of my mates still in the job and most are 25 year plus men and HATE it now. :arrrghhh

31 May 2019, 05:39

Navalron wrote:How can it be a 60% call rate of you deliver 20% of your :households: daily. By doing the job properly yous can beat them at their own game. TFI ive left but feel for a lot of my mates still in the job and most are 25 year plus men and HATE it now. :arrrghhh

Why can't it be a 60% call rate if you deliver 20% of your households daily?

31 May 2019, 07:10

Any official confirmation yet as to if it's going to be ALL Tracked (no matter what size) that'll be going to the LAT hubs, bypassing inward MCs and DOs??????

31 May 2019, 09:06

The tracked parcel question, large only or all, has been posed a few times and no answer as yet. Martin will hopefully uncover the answer soon enough, or perhaps RM themselves haven't thought this through properly?

31 May 2019, 11:08

Capital Markets Day announcement date.
Postby Martin Walsh » 21 May 2019, 08:34
Tracked are not included in the parcel separation strategy.

04 Jun 2019, 09:58

Telephone wrote:Capital Markets Day announcement date.
Postby Martin Walsh » 21 May 2019, 08:34
Tracked are not included in the parcel separation strategy.

Going on what we saw on RMTV it appears that it'll be all normal parcels over shoebox size, Next Day (do they mean SDs by that) and all Tracked (no mention of any given sizes so I'm assuming they mean all sizes)

04 Jun 2019, 10:29

Next Day (do they mean SDs by that) and all Tracked (no mention of any given sizes so I'm assuming they mean all sizes)

I took it a different way.
To me it seemed like they meant next day tracked which could be interpreted as just LAT or all Tracked 24 items. It can't be SD as those are guaranteed 1 pm delivery which doesn't fit the model.
The message is very confusing though.

04 Jun 2019, 17:53

So Parcelforce deliver roughly 12 parcels an hour but Royal Mail somehow wants its drivers to deliver 18 parcels an hour. What happens if a driver finds that they can only deliver a dozen parcels an hour? Does the driver then bring the rest of those parcels back undelivered or will they be claiming loads of overtime instead?Alternatively, what happens if there are only 72 parcels to deliver for the day? Does that mean that Royal Mail are only willing to pay the driver 4 hours of work?

With the CWU proposed reduction of the working week, where is the scope for extending duty spans?? Even if the larger packets get sorted at the parcel hubs for immediate delivery we will still need packet sorters in delivery centres because its sorting through the smaller packets that really eats up the time to sort indoors. Seems to me the company is trying to find all sorts of ways to try and reduce the number of posties and the only thing that they can come up, is the same one that they have done over the years, and that is to increase the duty spans. This plan probably means that its either the big delivery driver or the walking postie that is going to sha*ted. Adding another 20% of calls because the mail's down doesn't work when you occasionally have a bulk mailing and are suddenly expected to deliver to every house....there will be cut-offs galore.

04 Jun 2019, 19:11

I think if royal mail gets what it wants, you will get the parcels to deliver based on 18 an hour so enough to fill your hours, if you can't get them done in time it'll be your problem because your too slow. Same thing when they start allocating deliveries based on the data, no overtime if you don't get done on time because your too slow. Look at Amazon and how they time everything, that will be royal mail soon. If you take 50 minutes on a 40 minute loop you will be told your below the standard and that they have timings from the data to back it up including the fact you only had 2 attendance calls blah blah blah etc.

05 Jun 2019, 17:46

I think what will happen is all the large parcels the drivers can,t deliver in the afternoon because they haven,t got time etc will end up back on the van share deliveries the next day , even though they will have 200 more houses on their walks.Its all part of their plan. :cuppa

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3