not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Royal Mail’s game changing parcel strategy

22 Feb 2019, 12:53

To protect jobs and cuts like this staff really need to wake up and do job properly

22 Feb 2019, 13:11

Britt4cwu wrote:To protect jobs and cuts like this staff really need to wake up and do job properly

You'll need to show your working.
Personally I think "doing the job properly" would have little material effect on the business, it's really just a noise the union makes because they can shove the blame for everything onto us but hey-ho even if we go with the scenario that there's all these unpaid hours that need to be protected.

Tomorrow everybody "does the job properly".
Royal Mail sees a massive increase in labour costs and decrease in efficiency, profits and share price go into free fall..
How exactly does that protect jobs and stop cuts?

22 Feb 2019, 14:19

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Britt4cwu wrote:Royal Mail sees a massive increase in labour costs and decrease in efficiency, profits and share price go into free fall..
How exactly does that protect jobs and stop cuts?

because this business is regulated to strangle RM, and I find it amusing that RM continue to cut the job to the bone, whilst competitors free load off the back of it. Regulation demands efficiency to protect the customer, and we`re probably not there yet, but people coming in early and rushing around then finishing early is counter to doing that.
DSA is a MAJOR problem to RM, and is still to be addressed, its a no win situation thats been set up for RM. But in the end regulation has to make it feasible for RM to provide a mail delivery service, because we know the likes of TNT etc surely wont do it as its not profitable enough.

22 Feb 2019, 14:29

Deadly wrote:I think we all know how this will play out.

1 in 6 walks absorbed to make 5 walks.

1 new parcel/packet duty formed from displaced walk.

New parcel/packet duty not viable so contents placed back on remaining 5 walks.

No because the new parcel delivery is in the LAT hub and not your DO.

Royal Mails game changing parcel strategy

22 Feb 2019, 14:59

Regulation demands efficiency to protect the customer, and we`re probably not there yet, but people coming in early and rushing around then finishing early is counter to doing that.

Actually you'll find it's not.
Efficiency is measured in items per measured work hours.
Coming in early, rushing around and finishing early makes no difference to efficiency because those measured hours are contracted.
However failure to meet standards, dragging it out and booking overtime does effect efficiency.

There are only two ways to increase efficiency.
Increase the items.
Cut the hours.
No matter what you think about "doing the job properly" one thing it definitely won't do is save our jobs.

22 Feb 2019, 16:25

So all these parcels to be done at these LAT offices.

What happens to items that are P739'd ?

22 Feb 2019, 16:41

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Regulation demands efficiency to protect the customer, and we`re probably not there yet, but people coming in early and rushing around then finishing early is counter to doing that.

Actually you'll find it's not.
Efficiency is measured in items per measured work hours.
Coming in early, rushing around and finishing early makes no difference to efficiency because those measured hours are contracted.
However failure to meet standards, dragging it out and booking overtime does effect efficiency.

There are only two ways to increase efficiency.
Increase the items.
Cut the hours.
No matter what you think about "doing the job properly" one thing it definitely won't do is save our jobs.

Coming in early isn't work hrs, it's your own free time!!

22 Feb 2019, 18:44

"However failure to meet standards, dragging it out and booking overtime does effect efficiency"

FAILURE TO MEET STANDARDS! DRAGGING IT OUT! :Applause

Every-time a postie runs around, doesn't use their LWT, Hops a wall, walks across a garden, Reads the mail whilst walking, comes in early and works through their meal relief, Doesn't wear their seatbelt, speeds and drives dangerously, Fails to use correct lifting form when loading and unloading the van and doesn't do their van checks they are failing to meet the standards set out in RM's Safe systems of work policy. Dragging it out is doing the job correctly. Your attitude is the exact reason posties are feeling pressured and face bullying day in day out. Makes me sick. This company has existed and provided a decent service for over 500 years but suddenly over the past couple of years something is wrong. I wonder what has changed...

22 Feb 2019, 19:55

Ren Hoëk wrote: Dragging it out is doing the job correctly.

Doing the job properly is doing the job properly.
Dragging it out is dragging it out.

22 Feb 2019, 20:08

Large parcels are probably the most efficiently delivered product in RM's range, so naturally, somebody has looked at them as being a problem and, therefore, the key to a solution to our efficiency woes. Some of you may contest the idea that they are currently delivered with greater efficiency than other products, but when you consider the greater cost to send a large parcel, you begin to see where there is more leeway for efficiency. Then, consider also that you know exactly where you stand with a large parcel. It isn't going through the letterbox. You're not going to fight with it to get it through. You knock/ring the bell, and it's a simple yes or no whether they're delivered or not (goodness knows what the LAT driver will do for undelivered items - ask the customer to collect from 50 miles away). On P & L duties, they are delivered while you are in the vicinity of the street they are on, along with other big parcels for that same street, meaning that you don't have one van travelling miles between drops. Consider also that they are not lugged around by a postie with a trolley, slowing him down with their weight and bulk. If they go undelivered, they go back into a van.

Large parcels are not a problem in themselves - where they cause problems is on duties that are too big, but that's not because of the parcels themselves. That's because of poor planning.

If you take out 1/6th of duties, and extend duties by 1/5th accordingly, there's nothing gained. For a start, big parcels shouldn't generally be taken by any postman while they are delivering their loops, or if they're on a HCT duty. The time that it takes for a walker's loops won't be affected at all, and it is more often than not the walker's loops that determine the ultimate length of a P & L duty. You'll still have the same number of plugs and light bulbs coming from China and Malaysia. You'll be going to the exact same number of houses. And you'll be expected to take another 100-200 drops, which will give you another dozen packets each. Hence, the problem RM is trying to solve here will lead to much bigger, and worse, problems - if indeed they do eventually follow this path.

22 Feb 2019, 22:59

clashcityrocker wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote: Dragging it out is doing the job correctly.

Doing the job properly is doing the job properly.
Dragging it out is dragging it out.

FFS semantics. They are accusing people of dragging it out when in reality they mean if they do the job properly...

23 Feb 2019, 06:35

Ren Hoëk wrote:
FFS semantics. They are accusing people of dragging it out when in reality they mean if they do the job properly...

Where exactly have "they" accused people doing the job properly of dragging it pout?

23 Feb 2019, 15:56

Only read one page:

A similar idea was supposed to have been trialled in a number of DO's (DOM speaking) BUT it was anything that wouldn't fit through a letterbox that was going to a designated parcel driver and then the lapsed walk split between the rest.

Now that would make some sense but they (royal fail) seem to have changed the playing field and it's only what's above a shoebox that walkers don't take.

I see more bullying on the cards if this half baked idea comes in.

24 Feb 2019, 08:09

If it was a case of anything bigger than a standard letterbox is taken by a designated driver then yes I could understand the rumoured new system. But if it's literally a handful of parcels are taken off you and in return you're taking another few bags, well they won't be saving any time. Also what happens with oversized specials, I guess we'd still have to take them.

You know, one day I just wish management would ask us how to improve efficiency and cut out wasted time.

I've mentioned in another thread there's about 10mins a day wasted indoors for me because I don't know access codes, or the frame doesn't show where a bag should start and stop, or the guy who's round it is has taken the bags home so you have to search for more, or you don't know which d2ds have been taken because the sheet wasn't filled in and bob who was on it yesterday isn't in. Even things as simple as not having the walk number above some of the frames, so you're walking round in a 90 round depot with a tracked parcel missorted into your parcel york for walk 1122 and no one is sure where it is until Graham suggests he thinks it might be down the next aisle but can't be sure because they changed the aisle last week. Same with house names, the regular duty holder knows the guy at 22 King Street has changed the name to The Birches and all his male is address to that name now, so why not have a laminated A4 sheet of common 'anomalies' on eg The Birches=22 King St, Healthfast Ltd = The gym on Main Street. These are all easily sorted. All wasted time, 10mins a day soon adds up. That's nearly an hour a week, 40-45 hours a year wasted and that's just for one member of staff.

24 Feb 2019, 09:33

HTPostman wrote:Same with house names, the regular duty holder knows the guy at 22 King Street has changed the name to The Birches and all his male is address to that name now, so why not have a laminated A4 sheet of common 'anomalies' on eg The Birches=22 King St, Healthfast Ltd = The gym on Main Street.

Probably never get the A+ updated with changes like that so would result in letters for places like that either going to the manual selection when an IMP/iLSM is running a batch breakdown plan or get set to manual when a batch is being sequenced

24 Feb 2019, 10:24

HTPostman wrote:If it was a case of anything bigger than a standard letterbox is taken by a designated driver then yes I could understand the rumoured new system. But if it's literally a handful of parcels are taken off you and in return you're taking another few bags, well they won't be saving any time. Also what happens with oversized specials, I guess we'd still have to take them.

You know, one day I just wish management would ask us how to improve efficiency and cut out wasted time.

I've mentioned in another thread there's about 10mins a day wasted indoors for me because I don't know access codes, or the frame doesn't show where a bag should start and stop, or the guy who's round it is has taken the bags home so you have to search for more, or you don't know which d2ds have been taken because the sheet wasn't filled in and bob who was on it yesterday isn't in. Even things as simple as not having the walk number above some of the frames, so you're walking round in a 90 round depot with a tracked parcel missorted into your parcel york for walk 1122 and no one is sure where it is until Graham suggests he thinks it might be down the next aisle but can't be sure because they changed the aisle last week. Same with house names, the regular duty holder knows the guy at 22 King Street has changed the name to The Birches and all his male is address to that name now, so why not have a laminated A4 sheet of common 'anomalies' on eg The Birches=22 King St, Healthfast Ltd = The gym on Main Street. These are all easily sorted. All wasted time, 10mins a day soon adds up. That's nearly an hour a week, 40-45 hours a year wasted and that's just for one member of staff.

It wont just be the time saved from the "handfull" of packets being taken off a walk, it will also be the time shown by the PDA outdoor actual data they have been collecting.

24 Feb 2019, 10:39

zipmeister wrote:It wont just be the time saved from the "handful" of packets being taken off a walk, it will also be the time shown by the PDA outdoor actual data they have been collecting.

Plus the time you aren't sorting them in the morning.

But what happens when someone has 4 half shoe box size packets?
I suppose if you are in a LAT hub they can be put out for a driver but otherwise?

24 Feb 2019, 11:46

I think they are seriously underestimating the number of large packets by going on inaccurate traffic figures from the mail centres . In my unit alone if you take all the over shoebox size packets out of the packet sleeves it would at least double the number of large packets.

24 Feb 2019, 12:28

If they collapse 1 walk in 6, does this mean I will get a fifth of a duty and my driver gets another fifth of a duty. This would make an extra two fifths.
Last edited by zz666 on 24 Feb 2019, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

24 Feb 2019, 12:29

so if this happens how do they decide which members of staff are being put on the dole que?

Previous page Next page

Page 5 of 13   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13