not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Royal Mail’s game changing parcel strategy

21 Feb 2019, 21:54

This is actually a good idea. It's a progressive and efficiency based plan.

Here's some pros:

Easier packet duties for those who have given their bodies to royal mail and can no longer walk 10+ miles a day. (Reducing sick pay and IHR payments)

Shorter sorting times in the morning (enabling the goal of 37hr working week this year)

LAT product & big parcels delivered at the same time, less likely to get parcels returning to the depot - less pressure on indoor staff at callers office.

Share price would most likely rise on this news.

Having the infrastructure in place to expand on the LAT product (which is what our customers want)

Obvious negatives:
Some people would be forced to change their working hours

Working in the dark is a ballache

Added pressure on deliveries trying to absorb a most likely unrealistic amount to account for the parcels being taken off you.

Overall it's an interesting idea. and we have all been saying it on here for ages that it's the increase in parcels which is making our rounds unachievable, we can't moan when they come up with an idea to take parcels off us.

I'd be up for giving it a try to see how much time it would actually save.

21 Feb 2019, 21:58

Think you forgot the possible biggest negative, thousands of jobs going. A non lat office with 60 duties would lose 10 duties, where do those staff go? If they are cutting 10 jobs in one office I bet they will want to only use a quarter of those hours in a lat office to get the work done if that

21 Feb 2019, 22:02

citypostie wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
citypostie wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:Could you clarify dingo,

I might have picked you up wrong but did you say that if your office doesnt do LAT parcels just now then in the future we wont get the work at all?

How would we be losing work if we never had the work to begin with?

I assume my office doesnt do LAT as ive never heard of it till now but then it would really have to be considering the size of my office and location so im unsure.

The work you would lose is all parcels bigger than a shoebox that the lat offices will be delivering for you. Knock on would be less ips time needed for sorting parcels, scanning bigger tracked items in etc. The knock on would be your out earlier and able to get round quicker so are able to pick up a 1/5th of the walk that disappears .... Or that's what royal mail thinks anyway

Our LAT stuff comes in and goes out with the normal dispatches. Anything after that will fail as earlies don't have the staff to spare to do it. Bigger Tracked items will still come through the MCs, many of the yorks of "large" Tracked items will often be over half small, vice-versa for the sleeves of small

I'm talking from a non lat delivery office view. What dingo has said offices like mine won't have any parcels larger than a shoebox to sort or deliver enabling supposedly 1 in 6 duties disappearing. What happens to them before they get to the lat office won't alter the fact they won't end up at my office unless he meant only non tracked larger than a shoebox, if he did this won't make enough of a time saving to cover 1 round between 10 duties never mind 5 as most larger parcels are tracked now anyway

Can't see them getting sorted separately from other parcels either Tracked or non-Tracked as once the final dispatch has gone out (wave 2), anything else that comes in after that will just fail as earlies don't have the space, staff or time to deal with it.

21 Feb 2019, 22:16

Here's some pros:

Easier packet duties for those who have given their bodies to royal mail and can no longer walk 10+ miles a day. (Reducing sick pay and IHR payments)

Only in offices that do LAT work.
That leaves nearly 1000 offices where the only change will be the loss of 1 in 6 duties and longer deliveries for everyone left.
How are longer deliveries for the vast majority going to reduce sick pay or IHR?
You haven't really thought this through have you?

21 Feb 2019, 22:24

When we planned these deliveries using the agreed tools we did large parcel counts on each delivery.
Some duties don't get a lot of large parcels and those duties ended up with more delivery points.
Are those duties still expected to absorb part of another duty despite the fact that they will see a negligible difference without large parcels?

21 Feb 2019, 22:31

How does a manager resource this proposal?
How will you know in advance how many parcels you're going to get at 3pm?
How many times will we have to clean up the mess the following morning?
Will we be able to refuse to deliver anything above a shoe box?
I very much doubt it?

21 Feb 2019, 22:36

Heard this is the new shoe box guide. Anything smaller you have to take
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

21 Feb 2019, 22:44

I wonder if this is the reason our office has been shuffling the ips frames about to give extra space for lat and other packets?

21 Feb 2019, 22:53

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

21 Feb 2019, 22:53

Is there a list of the 302 lat offices??

21 Feb 2019, 23:38

number one wrote:Heard this is the new shoe box guide. Anything smaller you have to take

haha , your probably right about that .

22 Feb 2019, 00:14

Not clear how this would work with delivery offices with a lot of Rurals?

I mean, some offices deliver everything, including parcelforce. Because it's simply not efficient to send a van to these places for mail and small packets, and then another for parcels.

This proposal can't square that circle, can it?

22 Feb 2019, 08:03

● The existing wider small parcel format covers packages up to 450 x 350 x 80mm.

Postal tubes

● Postal tubes up to 450mm in length and with a diameter of up to 80mm also count as small parcels.

● Small parcels must weigh no more than 2kg.

● First class prices for a small parcel start at £3.00

● The change means that Royal Mail offers the cheapest price in the market for shoe box size parcels of up to 1kg in weight.

Medium parcels

Medium parcel
● Medium parcels may measure up to 610 x 460 x 460mm, and must not weigh any more than 20kg.

● A postal tube of up to 900mm in length also qualifies as a medium parcel.

● First class prices for a medium parcel start at £5.65

Large parcels

● Large parcels include any package larger than the sizes stated above – and will cost significantly more to send.

● First class prices for a large parcel start at £11.96

22 Feb 2019, 08:10

97gaz wrote:We get our LAT delivery from the mail centre at 12.30pm on the lunchtime feeder.

I think we do have some LAT that comes in later but it automatically fails as it comes in too late

97gaz wrote:At the moment there are only three people in our office who want the LAT duty. They're currently getting between 5 and 10 parcels to cover three areas and they're driving over sixty miles a day. It's a four hour duty and given the distances it's taking them between two to three hours. If you are ultra conservative and only take one packet from each duty in our three areas and give it to the LAT guy then he'll be going out of the door with over 100 parcels. Our office alone covers 250 square miles. One of the guys had a packet for one of our delivery points last week. That packet alone took him an hour and fifteen minutes over 36 miles.

You couldn't make it up.

RM really need to have 1 maybe 2 LAT duties per DO

dingo wrote:● The existing wider small parcel format covers packages up to 450 x 350 x 80mm.

Postal tubes

● Postal tubes up to 450mm in length and with a diameter of up to 80mm also count as small parcels.

● Small parcels must weigh no more than 2kg.

● First class prices for a small parcel start at £3.00

● The change means that Royal Mail offers the cheapest price in the market for shoe box size parcels of up to 1kg in weight.

Medium parcels

Medium parcel
● Medium parcels may measure up to 610 x 460 x 460mm, and must not weigh any more than 20kg.

● A postal tube of up to 900mm in length also qualifies as a medium parcel.

● First class prices for a medium parcel start at £5.65

Large parcels

● Large parcels include any package larger than the sizes stated above – and will cost significantly more to send.

● First class prices for a large parcel start at £11.96

dingo, you forgot that Tracked goes up to 30Kg

22 Feb 2019, 10:12

I think we all know how this will play out.

1 in 6 walks absorbed to make 5 walks.

1 new parcel/packet duty formed from displaced walk.

New parcel/packet duty not viable so contents placed back on remaining 5 walks.

22 Feb 2019, 10:38

It's the smaller packets and all the scanning that's the problem. And if any of this is based on pda actuals then thanks to all the runners.

22 Feb 2019, 11:20

Deadly wrote:I think we all know how this will play out.

you forgot people come in even earlier!!

22 Feb 2019, 11:30

How long before Parcelforce is merged with RM under this plan?

As by creating a large parcel duty you're effectively taking on the role of a courier anyway.

22 Feb 2019, 12:11

Is this work that parcelforce could or should be taking?
Agree with others that it’s not enough work to cover collapsing 1 in 6

22 Feb 2019, 12:16

bensonhedge wrote:
Deadly wrote:I think we all know how this will play out.

you forgot people come in even earlier!!

They will have to come in earlier still. Also a few months down the line we will be asked to absorb happy days.

Previous page Next page

Page 4 of 13   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13