not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Royal Mails game changing parcel strategy : RM letter to Mark Baulch included

14 Apr 2019, 16:54

yellowbelly wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:
daveyeff wrote:no large packets will shorten our walks? how do you work that one out?.....I only had a handful of packets yesterday but I was still out till my time.

I only had a handful of packets yesterday but I was still out till my time.

Liar.

You had only a handful of packets larger than a shoebox did you? Bullshi...

Ren Hoëk wrote:Then Il remember all those people whose "reality" is only ever a handful of packets a day and if they EVER complain about having more piled on etc then Il have no sympathy. Some of us are getting hammered day in day out and still having more put on us. Still paid the same. High time these PDA actuals were utilised and evened this s**t out. I mean, you had 2 biggies FFS!

Sorry but who said this?
...Also, Why concern yourself with the goings on of others......

You sad man. You have gone to a completely different thread from FEBRUARY and grabbed a quote. I think some context would help?

That quote was in regards to someone complaining that they were stuck in the callers office until their time whilst guys out on delivery were finishing early. In which case, it wouldn't matter what they were doing as he would have to be there regardless if they came back on time or early. His job description and requirements are not the same.

Where as we have guys in our office who regularly have to cut off on duties and others who finish early every day. With everything that goes with that as per pressure and the bullying that persist. PDA actuals would go along way to level duties out. :thumbup

Also, We have people on this forum complaining about being swamped and then to have people say they get 1 biggy! lol. Thats why I say to them il remember that when they complain about their duties in the future. :thumbup
Last edited by Ren Hoëk on 14 Apr 2019, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

14 Apr 2019, 17:02

Then Il remember all those people whose "reality" is only ever a handful of packets a day

That isn't the reality.
The vast majority of attendance calls are for parcels that would not be removed by this proposal only parcels branded 3 and 4.
That's a very narrow band and doesn't include everything larger than a shoebox depending on its dimensions.
Nobody has even mentioned tracked items and whether they would be included in this proposal.

As for those claiming they have 30+ oversized parcels...that must be some van.

14 Apr 2019, 17:24

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Then Il remember all those people whose "reality" is only ever a handful of packets a day

That isn't the reality.
The vast majority of attendance calls are for parcels that would not be removed by this proposal only parcels branded 3 and 4.
That's a very narrow band and doesn't include everything larger than a shoebox depending on its dimensions.
Nobody has even mentioned tracked items and whether they would be included in this proposal.

I know that it's not the reality. That was my original point... That is a claim others are making.

[/quote]

We average 20ish biggies. But on a busy day can easily have 30ish. The vans are absolutely rammed!

14 Apr 2019, 18:18

Woody Guthrie wrote:

That isn't the reality.

This is the reality for some of the duties, even at this time of the year, in my office, it's not a "claim". People who work in non-Amazon offices may have trouble in believing this, but for employees in my office the fact that shared vans in other offices are delivering only 1 or 2 oversized parcels a day is equally strange. Whenever we get a new van in my office they are bigger models than the traditional Vauxhall Combo, and those still using the Combo are stacked to the roof with mail and parcels.

In the last year we seem to have been getting bigger and heavier parcels that Parcel Force probably delivered previously, and it's not unusual for duty holders to have to go out separately with a few parcels because they simply can't fit them in with their delivery. This IS the reality where I work.

14 Apr 2019, 19:24

Ozzvaldo wrote: In the last year we seem to have been getting bigger and heavier parcels that Parcel Force probably delivered previously, and it's not unusual for duty holders to have to go out separately with a few parcels because they simply can't fit them in with their delivery. This IS the reality where I work.

It's a 30Kg weight limit for Tracked

14 Apr 2019, 19:41

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote: In the last year we seem to have been getting bigger and heavier parcels that Parcel Force probably delivered previously, and it's not unusual for duty holders to have to go out separately with a few parcels because they simply can't fit them in with their delivery. This IS the reality where I work.

It's a 30Kg weight limit for Tracked

I'm not really talking about weight, rather size and numbers. We regularly get multiple items like boxed lawnmowers, large microwave ovens, sacks of dog food, gym equipment' garden furniture etc, that are filling our vans up on top of all the Amazon parcels.

I repeat....MY office is geographically isolated with very poor local shopping facilities. Internet shopping is huge due to these factors and whereas many of the contributers to this forum only seem to experience a few large parcels per day, in my office the reality is totally different and the figures that I've quoted in earlier posts are the reality at this time of year, NOW. you should see it at Christmas! We really do struggle to fit everything in to our vans all year round.

Royal Mail’s game changing parcel strategy

15 Apr 2019, 21:37

dingo wrote:Just to clarify at the moment there are 302 LAT offices which deliver to every postcode. When the parcel automation is introduced , it sort the parcels branded 3 & 4 for every unit to just those 302 LAT units and they will deliver from those LAT units to all postcodes.

Therefore if you are delivery office who is not an LAT unit and remember there are 1200 delivery units and 302 LAT units , you will not see these parcels come into your office anymore and obviously that will mean a reduction in workload.

Remember these are Royal Mail ‘s proposals and are not supported by the CWU.

Presumably the 302 units that currently do LAT's would need to recruit additional staff to deal with the increased workload, so potentially offsetting any job losses?

Royal Mail’s game changing parcel strategy

15 Apr 2019, 22:02

dingo wrote:● The existing wider small parcel format covers packages up to 450 x 350 x 80mm.

Postal tubes

● Postal tubes up to 450mm in length and with a diameter of up to 80mm also count as small parcels.

● Small parcels must weigh no more than 2kg.

● First class prices for a small parcel start at £3.00

● The change means that Royal Mail offers the cheapest price in the market for shoe box size parcels of up to 1kg in weight.

Medium parcels

Medium parcel
● Medium parcels may measure up to 610 x 460 x 460mm, and must not weigh any more than 20kg.

● A postal tube of up to 900mm in length also qualifies as a medium parcel.

● First class prices for a medium parcel start at £5.65

Large parcels

● Large parcels include any package larger than the sizes stated above – and will cost significantly more to send.

● First class prices for a large parcel start at £11.96

So what is it that DO's will potentially be losing? Large parcels? I suggest the shoe box analogy is removed then because a shoe box is not 610x460x460 with a weight of 20kg's.

Royal Mails game changing parcel strategy

15 Apr 2019, 22:12

taurus88 wrote:Large parcels are probably the most efficiently delivered product in RM's range, so naturally, somebody has looked at them as being a problem and, therefore, the key to a solution to our efficiency woes. Some of you may contest the idea that they are currently delivered with greater efficiency than other products, but when you consider the greater cost to send a large parcel, you begin to see where there is more leeway for efficiency. Then, consider also that you know exactly where you stand with a large parcel. It isn't going through the letterbox. You're not going to fight with it to get it through. You knock/ring the bell, and it's a simple yes or no whether they're delivered or not (goodness knows what the LAT driver will do for undelivered items - ask the customer to collect from 50 miles away). On P & L duties, they are delivered while you are in the vicinity of the street they are on, along with other big parcels for that same street, meaning that you don't have one van travelling miles between drops. Consider also that they are not lugged around by a postie with a trolley, slowing him down with their weight and bulk. If they go undelivered, they go back into a van.

Large parcels are not a problem in themselves - where they cause problems is on duties that are too big, but that's not because of the parcels themselves. That's because of poor planning.

If you take out 1/6th of duties, and extend duties by 1/5th accordingly, there's nothing gained. For a start, big parcels shouldn't generally be taken by any postman while they are delivering their loops, or if they're on a HCT duty. The time that it takes for a walker's loops won't be affected at all, and it is more often than not the walker's loops that determine the ultimate length of a P & L duty. You'll still have the same number of plugs and light bulbs coming from China and Malaysia. You'll be going to the exact same number of houses. And you'll be expected to take another 100-200 drops, which will give you another dozen packets each. Hence, the problem RM is trying to solve here will lead to much bigger, and worse, problems - if indeed they do eventually follow this path.

Great post. Any large parcels on my duty I take note off prior to tying down (both P&L duties) I then remove any mail and/ or packets from those stops so that it is a single call for that delivery point. This new proposed method will potentially have me going there, having to stand and write out a p739 for a smaller than shoebox item, followed by another staff member coming round a couple hours later to the same delivery point to repeat the process. How is that more efficient?

17 Apr 2019, 20:59

The latest I have heard on this issue is that this currently is being fought against by the union. We all know that major changes have a tendency to be implemented by RM in the end. The first part of the three part WTLL briefing on this planned change arrived in our DO a week ago so I guess RM are fairly committed to this shift away from everything being delivered together. Our DOM reckons if this goes ahead then addition to thousands of job losses that more DOs, and particularly smaller DOs such as ours, will be more likely amalgamated into other nearby DO. In short this really is a complete game changer in terms of the direction of the business.

17 Apr 2019, 21:15

I don't think it's going to be too long before every DO only gets their wave 2 mech walk sorted only, realistically it's got to happen to give time slots a chance of working

18 Apr 2019, 11:46

SpacePhoenix wrote:I don't think it's going to be too long before every DO only gets their wave 2 mech walk sorted only, realistically it's got to happen to give time slots a chance of working

I cant see that happening. They are trying to cut down on indoor prep time not add to it. Surely the more likely scenario is re-arranging mail centre shift patterns and/or DO shift patterns to suit? It would seem odd to step back from automation when the rest of the world will be moving forward with it. But then this is RM we are talking about.

18 Apr 2019, 13:01

Celgar wrote:Our DOM reckons if this goes ahead then addition to thousands of job losses that more DOs, and particularly smaller DOs such as ours, will be more likely amalgamated into other nearby DO. In short this really is a complete game changer in terms of the direction of the business.

If this happens im going to be really f'ed off as i cycle 1/2 mile to my current office and the next biggest that could take us in,is a twenty mile round trip down some congested dual carriageways.

18 Apr 2019, 19:30

Ren Hoëk wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:I don't think it's going to be too long before every DO only gets their wave 2 mech walk sorted only, realistically it's got to happen to give time slots a chance of working

I cant see that happening. They are trying to cut down on indoor prep time not add to it. Surely the more likely scenario is re-arranging mail centre shift patterns and/or DO shift patterns to suit? It would seem odd to step back from automation when the rest of the world will be moving forward with it. But then this is RM we are talking about.

With the times of the arrivals in MCs these days, we're sending more manual to DOs now. You get DOs moaning that their getting their mail really late, there's only two things that can happen, other DOs get their mail late instead (and they then moan about getting their mail late) or we send some DOs mail walk sort only or we send every DOs mail walk sort only. There was a quoted timeslot for 9am for someone's item, for 9am time slots to be doable, the mail needs to get into DOs early enough

18 Apr 2019, 21:08

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:

With the times of the arrivals in MCs these days, we're sending more manual to DOs now. You get DOs moaning that their getting their mail really late, there's only two things that can happen, other DOs get their mail late instead (and they then moan about getting their mail late) or we send some DOs mail walk sort only or we send every DOs mail walk sort only. There was a quoted timeslot for 9am for someone's item, for 9am time slots to be doable, the mail needs to get into DOs early enough

It would then need to be ready for delivery by 9am as well. Adding that volume of manual prep through the ips then onto a frame would make that unlikely. I suspect they will announce shift changes over losing mech. You'd assume that a goal of RM's would be to have all mail walk sorted through automation ready for delivery. To step in the opposite direction wouldn't make sense.

19 Apr 2019, 18:27

Possibly starting later this year. A number of offices have already trialled and the amount of letters going worksorted on Wave 2 was negligible.

It will need to go to to National agreement I carnt see the CWU agreeing at the moment in the current I/R standoff.

19 Apr 2019, 18:33

What's happening with Ofcom bringing forward the USO review?

21 Apr 2019, 08:51

Spoke to a temp DOM yesterday regarding large parcels, 1 in 6 and the allocation of duties. He said, if implemented, each postie would fill in a preference form of whether they would like to do parcel duty or remain on the walks. He also stated a possible number of early retirements would be submitted due to bigger walks. Personally, if they took large parcels out of sorting in our office, getting us out 45 minutes earlier, I'd happilly take 100 calls. Less time listening to bull***t in the office all morning. We currently have to scan and deliver between 12 and 18 York's of tracked daily in a very rural area.

21 Apr 2019, 15:33

AndrewCarree wrote:Spoke to a temp DOM yesterday regarding large parcels, 1 in 6 and the allocation of duties. He said, if implemented, each postie would fill in a preference form of whether they would like to do parcel duty or remain on the walks. He also stated a possible number of early retirements would be submitted due to bigger walks. Personally, if they took large parcels out of sorting in our office, getting us out 45 minutes earlier, I'd happilly take 100 calls. Less time listening to bull***t in the office all morning. We currently have to scan and deliver between 12 and 18 York's of tracked daily in a very rural area.

Be careful what you wish for - if no one wishes to take early retirement then the last ones in will be the first ones out which may be you. That's just one of many bad outcomes if this change is implemented.

21 Apr 2019, 16:09

One thing that's not been confirmed (afaik) is if Tracked will be covered by this (and what size range) and if any SDs will be covered by it as well

Previous page Next page

Page 10 of 13   1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13