ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Powys residents defend post office over language criticism

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Powys residents defend post office over language criticism

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/2423 ... criticism/

Rhayader residents have leapt to the defence of their “invaluable” and “astonishing” local post office, after it came under criticism from tourists.

Over the weekend we published a letter written by a visiting North Wales couple who were left surprised at a lack of Welsh language greeting cards sold at the town's post office.

But the letter, about East Street-based Rhayader Post Office & Stores, led to a staunch defence of subpostmistress Hilary McPhee and the services her team provides.

“She said Rhaeadr was ‘not a very Welsh-speaking area’ which was surprising," the letter read.

“Rhaeadr’s population is 2,088, with 55 per cent having some form of Welsh identity, according to the 2011 census. In Powys, one in every five residents speaks Welsh.

“Rhaeadr has a bilingual primary school and just 20 minutes away is Ysgol Calon Cymru’s bilingual secondary school at Llanfair-ym-Muallt (Builth Wells) with a site also at Llandrindod, 17 minutes away.

“There were hundreds of English cards in the shop but not one in Cymraeg. An example of a missed opportunity or a failure to show any appreciation and support towards Cymraeg.”

“Are you seriously criticising probably the best post office in the UK because they don't stock Welsh speaking cards? Are you insane?,” said one commenter online.

“The post office is packed with local arts and crafts for sale – I guess that passed you by.

“They have a business to run, I would say less than five per cent speak Welsh here because we are so near to the border.

“There are other shops that stock Welsh written cards, the locals know where they are.

“The service that Hilary and the team provide is astonishing; they go above and beyond for everyone.

“Done a poor job packaging your parcel? Hilary will patch it up with her own Sellotape. Want to know the quickest or cheapest way to send something – sometimes sending two parcels is cheaper – who knew that?

“They know every local, most by name, and are warm and friendly to all. Why not celebrate a wonderful local business instead of this pathetic irrelevant ‘comment’?”

Another added: “The post office in Rhayader provides so many services to the town’s people, Hilary and her team should be commended.

“If you want a Welsh card buy a blank one write your own Welsh message and support the business not criticise.”

And one commenter said: “Rhayader Post Office are amazing; they go above and beyond for local residents. Hilary and team can’t be faulted and provide an invaluable service.”

Rhayader Post Office is open from 10am-4.30pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (closed Thursdays) and Saturday 9am-12.30pm.

For more information, ring them on 01597 810892 or visit https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder/rhayader.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."