ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shamed Post Office boss Paula Vennells knew there was a 'covert operations team' at Fujitsu that could alter subpostmasters' accounts remotely, newly unearthed bombshell recordings reveal

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Shamed Post Office boss Paula Vennells knew there was a 'covert operations team' at Fujitsu that could alter subpostmasters' accounts remotely, newly unearthed bombshell recordings reveal

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... count.html

Post Office boss Paula Vennells was aware there was a 'covert operations team' at Fujitsu that could alter subpostmasters' accounts remotely, newly unearthed recordings have revealed.

The former chief executive had been briefed about allegations concerning the existence of the remote unit at Fujitsu's Bracknell headquarters in 2013, two years before she told MPs there had not been 'any miscarriages of justice'.

Bombshell new audio, obtained by Channel 4 News, reveals Ms Vennells was told about the claims, made by former Post Office union rep Michael Rudkin after visiting Bracknell in 2008, and that the Post Office was investigating.

More than 900 sub-postmasters were convicted of theft, fraud and false accounting between 1999 and 2015 due to faults in Fujitsu's Horizon system. For more than two decades, sub-postmasters complained the system was faulty.

The shocking injustice was thrown back into the spotlight in the ITV drama Mr Bates vs The Post Office, based on campaigner Alan Bates's bid for justice.

In the recordings, dating back to 2013, two forensic accountants from Second Sight - the firm hired by the Post Office to conduct an independent investigation - appear on a call with Post Office general counsel Susan Crichton.

One of the investigators, Ron Warmington, warns that Ms Vennells could be questioned by James Arbuthnot - a local MP campaigning on behalf of the subpostmasters - about the covert Bracknell operation.

He says: 'If James says something like, "And where are you on this assertion about the Bracknell covert operations team, as it was referred to by Rudkin?"'

Crichton can then be heard twice confirming that Ms Vennells had been briefed about the allegation.

She says: 'Well look, that's a specific case. We'll come back to it when we finish the investigation.'

Warmington adds: 'Yeah, well, as long as she doesn't come back and say, "Look, so what's this Bracknell issue, what is he talking about?" Oh, we've known about that for two months.'

Crichton replies: 'She knows about the allegation. She knows we are working on it.'

'Oh, that's alright then. Good.' Warmington responds. 'We mentioned it to her. We're all going, "Well, that's all very odd."'

Later in the same tape Crichton advises again of her role in appraising Paula Vennells of issues identified by the independent investigation.

She says: 'She's got everything. The way that I've tried to brief Paula is, as soon as I have evidence that you know, that there is a problem, she knows about it the next minute.'
Ms Vennells ran the Post Office at the height of the scandal while it routinely denied there was a problem with its Horizon IT system. The Post Office continued to deny remote access was possible until 2019.

Claims of Fujitsu having a 'covert operations team' which could remotely access Postmaster's accounts were first brought to light by former Post Office union rep Michael Rudkin after he visited Fujitsu's Bracknell headquarters on August 19, 2008.

After being shown the recordings by Channel 4 news, Mr Rudkin recalled how he was shown staff members remotely accessing Postmasters' accounts despite being told categorically by the Post Office that this was impossible.

He said: 'My chaperone introduced me to those that were left as being the covert operations team.

'I was astounded. He altered the figures of one of the branch accounts on a live terminal in the boiler room at Fujitsu headquarters.

'I asked him: Have you just altered those figures and is this real time? The reply was: 'Yes'. I said: 'Are you absolutely sure? 'Yes', this is real time.'

'Realising my disdain as to what I'd just witnessed, I was then more or less just ushered back upstairs and pushed out through the door like a common criminal.'

The day after Mr Rudkin expressed concern at the revelation, a Post Office auditor turned up at his shop in Ibstock, Leicestershire, to tell him £44,000 was unaccounted for.

Mr Rudkin was forced to repay the money and his wife Susan, who did most of the day-to-day running of the branch, was prosecuted and given a suspended prison sentence.

He believes the action was taken against him after blowing the whistle on Horizon.

Commenting on the tapes, Mr Rudkin continues: 'The minute I first heard it, it was one of elation saying 'Rudkin you were right!'. The second one is one of sadness thinking 'Why did my wife and kids have to be put through this?''

'For all them years. We shouldn't have had to endure this level of oppression. And for this, I hope they get sent to hell and back.' Susan did consider and contemplated suicide.

'The risk was very high that she would overdose and kill herself. She was so depressed.'

'It's not just us that's affected. It's the whole family. The way that you are shunned within the local community - whispers, 'No smoke without fire'.

'Susan's reputation and mine for that matter, just dragged through the mire. And I can't understand for the life of me why it's taking so long for the Metropolitan Police to get on top of this. Somebody's got to be held to account.'

Also contained in the bombshell tapes, is the assertion that Ms Vennells did not believe the scope of the Second Sight investigation would extend to uncovering 'miscarriages of Justice'.

Crichton clarifies to the investigators: 'Ian had a chat with Paula earlier on. And we've had a couple of chats this morning.

'So Paula agrees that the original scope of the investigation did not go as far as looking at whether it was the miscarriage of justice point, Ron and Ian. So that's, that's not what she's looking for.

'She's looking for the systematic - or systemic rather, not systematic - systemic weakness in the Horizon systems. But not, as I said, it doesn't go on to that next point around whether or not it's caused the miscarriage of justice, or suspension of a subpostmaster.

'Because I think that, once you found it, then it's up to us to look for and see what impact it might be, if that happens.'

Two years later, Vennells would tell members of parliament at a Select Committee appearance that 'If there had been any miscarriages of justice it would've been really important to me and the post office that we surfaced those.'

The tapes also shockingly reveal how Crichton directly asked how the Post Office could limit interference form MPs over the growing scandal.

She says: 'The need to somehow have a plan to close down this process. I mean, even to the extent of stopping MPs sending cases in now. So how do we close down the MP side of the process.

'And what would work for MPs? And what can we sell to MPs? And how quickly can we do that?

'So is there any way, and I'm thinking out loud here, is there any way of shutting down the MP cases, and making James and his friends happy, so they'll just go away basically?'

Fujitsu and the Post Office declined to comment on the allegations raised in this report, citing the Public Inquiry now examining this scandal.

The Post Office told Channel 4 News it is 'fully focused on getting to the truth of what happened'.

Paula Vennells, Susan Crichton and Alwen Lyons did not respond to Channel 4 News' requests for comment.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."