ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Residents in Summertown, Oxford say its a "disaster" they may lose post office

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Residents in Summertown, Oxford say its a "disaster" they may lose post office

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/20091 ... st-office/

People in north Oxford have described plans to close their post office as "terrible" and a "disaster".

Earlier this month, it was revealed that the Co-op in Banbury Road, Summertown, will close in September, with bosses saying it is "not fitting with the long-term strategy" of the brand.

But the branch is also home to Summertown Post Office, which will also have to close when the supermarket goes.

Once Summertown Post Office shuts down the nearest post services will be in Cutteslowe and St Giles, both of which 30 minutes away in opposite directions.

People living in Summertown and its surrounding areas are disappointed and annoyed by the closure, especially because of the impact it will have on elderly residents.

“Not only the post office going but I know of several elderly people who rely on the Co-op to do their food deliveries which they phone in their orders and get it delivered by the friendly staff.

“It is bothering them very much as they don't use the internet.

“Please keep it as it is.”

Lucy Todd called it a “real shame and a big loss”.

Martin Hogg thinks the move is “terrible” and that people will find Cutteslowe “too far”.

Lynne Michaels says it is a “necessity” to have a post office in Summertown.

“It is essential for those without a car. The many retirement home residents and other elderly people also need to have a post office within easy walking distance. Both Cutteslowe and St Giles post offices are a fair distance away and require more walking,” she added

Tracey Matthews said: “Its the older generation I feel sorry for, having to travel even further, Cutteslowe is quite a trek from Summertown for them if they don’t drive.”

Andrew Gant, Lib Dem county councillor for Wolvercote Summertown, said many residents have been in touch “expressing concern” about the potential loss of the service.

He said: “It's quite early to say how discussions might go, but we are fully behind local residents in campaigning hard to keep a Post Office in Summertown.”

A Post Office spokesperson said: “We have very recently been advised that Midcounties Co-op will be closing its store in Summertown at the end of September and will no longer operate Summertown Post Office from that time.

“We know how important a Post Office is to a community. The vacancy will soon be advertised on www.runapostoffice.co.uk. Out field team will also visit to speak to local retailers about the opportunity.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

NWpostie

Re: Residents in Summertown, Oxford say its a "disaster" they may lose post office

Post by NWpostie »

:funneh
“We know how important a Post Office is to a community. The vacancy will soon be advertised on www.runapostoffice.co.uk. Out field team will also visit to speak to local retailers about the opportunity.”

I dont think anybody will be taking up that opportunity in the light of the Horizon scandal if they know know what's good for them.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.