ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Suicide postmaster's widow signed a gagging order described as a 'pistol to the head' with bosses accused of trying to cover up scandal by offering settlement valid 'for that day only'

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Suicide postmaster's widow signed a gagging order described as a 'pistol to the head' with bosses accused of trying to cover up scandal by offering settlement valid 'for that day only'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... andal.html

Post office bosses are accused of trying to cover up the faulty IT system scandal
Martin Griffiths was hounded for being falsely accused of stealing £100,000
He killed himself after he was strong-armed into signing a settlement deal which prevented him from speaking out, his wife says

The wife of a postmaster who killed himself felt pressured into signing a ‘pistol to the head’ deal, it emerged last night.

Martin Griffiths was hounded after being wrongly suspected of stealing £100,000 of money from his shop.

And 16 months after his death his wife Gina was offered a settlement valid ‘for that day only’. She signed the deal, believed to include a payout of around £120,000 and a gagging clause preventing her from speaking out publicly.

Tonight a BBC Panorama investigation into the scandal will allege this was a bid ‘to suppress and cover up the truth’.

Mr Griffiths was one of more than 3,000 people wrongly accused of taking money from their own tills, when a glitch in a computer system was to blame.

The popular club cricketer had run his branch successfully in Great Sutton, Cheshire, for 14 years before shortfalls started to appear in 2009. This quickly blew a huge hole in his life savings as he ploughed £100,000 into the system to balance the books.

In September 2013, at the age of 59, he stepped in front of a bus, leaving a note apologising to his family and telling them he loved them. Mrs Griffiths said: ‘They hounded him, they persecuted him, there didn’t seem to be any end to it at the time. Martin hit rock bottom.

‘He was a proud man and I think he thought he was letting us all down. The worst thing was our children seeing their dad die. It was surely down to the Post Office, nobody else, so I blame them.’

She applied for compensation and in January 2015 received a Post Office report into her claim. She was contacted the following day with the same-day offer – a deadline that stopped her seeing an independent report that would clear her husband of wrongdoing. She withdrew from the compensation scheme a week later.

A senior Post Office director had been directly in contact with Mrs Griffiths, leading to claims of a cover-up.

Ron Warmington, an independent forensic accountant for Second Sight working on the case, told Panorama: ‘It was a pistol-to-head deal, which said we’re going to offer you some money. If you refuse it, it’s closed.’

His co-director Ian Henderson told the programme: ‘I don’t know what that offer was, but what I do know was the indecent haste in which it was done. They felt if the facts behind the Martin Griffiths suicide became known, that would be tabloid headline news. This was a way of preventing that happening.’
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Sir Henry

Re: Suicide postmaster's widow signed a gagging order described as a 'pistol to the head' with bosses accused of trying to cover up scandal by offering settlement valid 'for that day only'

Post by Sir Henry »

Every day a new low. The PO needs tearing down and rebuilding from the ground up without the stench of those with blood on their hands. :evil/mad
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"