ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Moorland Post Office in Kirkby in Furness to close

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Moorland Post Office in Kirkby in Furness to close

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.in-cumbria.com/news/1959560 ... ess-close/

A COMMUNITY leader has expressed his sadness as a village's post office will soon close.

Moorland Stores & Post Office in School Road, Kirkby, will officially close in November, however, bosses have revealed that the shop will remain open as usual.

The post office has been run by Elaine Varley for 20 years and has become a 'well-loved' service for the community.

Matt Brereton, county councillor for High Furness, said the pandemic had placed a 'great deal of strain' on businesses, particularly for post offices and the Royal Mail.

He said: "It is sad to see such a well-loved service go and I am sure the owners of the shop will not have taken the decision lightly.

"Operating a Post Office counter carries a lot of extra responsibility and can be a significant burden on businesses, so if running the service has ceased to make sense financially then it is up to the owner's discretion whether they are able to carry on or not.

"The pandemic has placed a great deal of strain on businesses and placed particular pressure on the Post Office, Royal Mail and other courier and distribution services.

"While no doubt disappointed to lose such a convenient post office counter in the heart of the community, I'm sure everyone wishes to thank Elaine for her hard work and service over the years and will continue to frequent her excellent local shop.

"While not as convenient of course, Kirkby residents will still be able to use the Post Office counters in Askam or Broughton, and I highly recommend the recently extended X7 bus service on Wednesdays and Fridays to get about if they don't have their own transport."

The closure follows the shutting of the post office distribution centre in Broughton in March, with plans to move the site over to Millom.

Moorland Post Office in Kirkby will close for the final time on Saturday, November 13.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."