ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Glasgow community reels after shock Parkhead Post Office closure

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Glasgow community reels after shock Parkhead Post Office closure

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/194 ... e-closure/

A COMMUNITY has been left reeling after a post office closed its doors suddenly.

Residents in Parkhead were stunned to find a notice in the window of the Gallowgate branch saying it would close permanently as of Friday July 30.

The Glasgow Times understands that the move was "sudden" and bosses are now trying to fill the post with a temporary postmaster in order to continue services.

One resident said: “That’s awful. That post office was always busy. It will be missed by the Parkhead people.”

He said: “I am incredibly disappointed at the loss of Parkhead Post Office. This is just the latest in a string of closures within the Post Office network locally and it reaffirms my serious concerns about sustainability of the wider Post Office operating model.

“I will be working with the outgoing postmaster, as well as Post Office Limited, to ensure that some sort of service can be restored in Parkhead. Losing a Post Office is hugely disruptive to any local community and the British Government needs to conduct a root and branch review of the network. which is slowly being eroded to the detriment of local communities.”

Mr Linden has previously raised concerns about the difficulties involved in running post office branches which he believes could be playing a role in the sudden closure of Parkhead. He previously told the Glasgow Times: “This Post Office closure once again highlights the major problems with sustainability in the network and, ultimately, it is local people who suffer when service is withdrawn.

“Those living in the area are left to suffer the consequences.

“Post Office Ltd struggles desperately to get sub-postmasters to take on branches and to keep them on. There are clearly problems with the business model which need addressed — something I have raised repeatedly with the UK Government.”

It comes as a further blow for the East End after it was announced in June that Garthamlock Post Office was set to close as part of a series of 31 closures of branches across Scotland, run by retailer CJ Lang.

We also reported earlier this year that Cranhill Post Office was also set to shut up shop after the postmaster resigned.

As well as that, two TSB branches on Duke Street in Dennistoun and Shandwick Square in Easterhouse, leaving many without access to in-person banking facilities.

Many people in the community rely on post offices for banking facilities as well as somewhere to process parcels and pay bills.

A spokesman for Post Office said:“We can confirm that regrettably Parkhead Post Office has now closed. We know how important Post Office services are to a local community and we are actively seeking a temporary solution for residents and businesses to restore services to the area. In the meantime, we encourage customers to visit nearby Carntyne branch which is open six days a week.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."