ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Post Office investigates claim of counterfeit stamps bought at Bashley post office

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post Office investigates claim of counterfeit stamps bought at Bashley post office

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/ne ... f-9206494/

AN investigation has been launched into how a post office ended up selling “counterfeit” stamps.

The claim arose when letters sent out to members of New Milton Indoor Bowling Club were held at the town’s delivery office and labelled with yellow stickers saying: “Counterfeit, no postage paid.”

Club secretary Bernard Barwick now wants a £102 refund for the stamps he said he bought at Bashley post office.

Brian Barwick is the secretary of New Milton Indoor Bowling ClubBrian Barwick is the secretary of New Milton Indoor Bowling Club

A spokesperson for the national Post Office would only say: “Stamps sold in post offices come from official Royal Mail stock. This complaint is being fully investigated.”

The Post Office told the A&T it would be the only one to speak on the issue and the Bashley branch could not comment.

But Mr Barwick told the A&T: “We are shocked at such a betrayal of trust and that the Post Office is so poor at sorting it out. Somebody needs to do something – I want my money back!”

Mr Barwick had posted the club membership forms after buying 51 envelopes and having them stamped and weighed.

“But I was contacted a few days later by someone from the club to say members had received a card saying they had to go to New Milton delivery office to pay the £2 postage,” he said.

He went to the office himself and showed his receipts for the stamps and envelopes to prove they were from a genuine post office – but still had to pay £2 per item to get them back.

“One of the staff at the New Milton office was extremely sympathetic once he found the stamps were bought from a post office,” Mr Barwick said.

“I was told that this is a new forgery that has been developed as the newish second-class stamp is bigger than before.

“A stamp has got Royal Mail printed almost invisibly all over it, and if the forgers do not get it quite right that’s where it shows up. I wouldn’t know and you wouldn’t know.”

He has lodged a complaint but said the amount of evidence he has been asked to provide by the Post Office is “ridiculous”.

The former bank director said he was keen to get the post out because New Milton Indoor Bowling Club needs more members. To join, visit newmiltonibc.uk
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."