ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Powys border post office gives update on future after big loss

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Powys border post office gives update on future after big loss

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/1941 ... -big-loss/

THERE are no doubts over the future of a post office in a town near the Powys border, despite the business losing £2,000 a month when ownership changed hands three years ago.

The subpostmaster in Kington said he had been asked about the future of the post office in Bridge Street after Hay-on-Wye's branch closed when the owner retired after five years unsuccessfully trying to find a buyer.

The closure of the branch meant the border town was left without any banks or a post office, but the company said it was trying to find a permanent solution, with a mobile service currently visiting twice a week.

Responding to questions he had been asked about the future of the branch, Kington subpostmaster Tim Allen said he was working to turn the fortunes of the post office around, but it was not going to close.

He said it was just over two years since he took over the post office, but it coincided with Royal Mail closing the sorting office in the back rooms of the branch.

The first year saw the post office lose £2,000 a month, but progress has been made since.

Mr Allen said losses had halved over the last year as he expanded the retail side, but his town centre branch had also been hit by coronavirus restrictions limiting holidays abroad, as travel money and insurance were one of the main sources of income.

"Of course it has been a terrible year for everyone and for most high street businesses," he said.

"For us, after mail, the second biggest part of our income comes from travel money and travel insurance and there has been zero income from this for over a year now.

"We are looking forward to your holidays even more than we are looking forward to our own."

Mr Allen, who owns the building, said he was looking at refurbishing it after he completes a nearby project.

He said he took on the project after the previous subpostmaster left in 2018 as he didn't want to see Kington left without a bank of post office.

"I own the building, it wasn't that hard of a decision," he added.

"It's just what's the town going to do without banks or a post office?

"Kington's on a road to nowhere from nowhere, Hereford, depends on how it goes, is 35 minutes. There's nowhere else around, everywhere is a half-hour drive, but with a population of 3,500 and a rural community that it serves as well. It's a lot of people.

"I like a challenge, and I think one way or another it will be a successful business to be built up out of it in due course, it just requires patience."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."