ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Campaign to save under-threat Post Office services in Ayrshire steps up

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Campaign to save under-threat Post Office services in Ayrshire steps up

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ ... t-24446518

An MSP and councillors have stepped up a campaign to stop three Ayrshire Post Office branches disappearing from their communities.

The three Post Offices facing the axe are located within SPAR outlets at Main Road, Whitletts; Mount Oliphant Crescent, Forehill, Ayr, and the one at Bonnyton, on Munro Avenue, in Kilmarnock.

The news had previously been described as “another blow to the region” and “very concerning.”

SPAR brand owners CJ Lang plan to axe 31 across Scotland because they say the branches weren’t ‘financially viable.’

The Ayrshire branches are set to close in August.

Now South Scotland Labour MSP Colin Smyth has issued an SOS and appealed for interested parties to come forward in an attempt to keep a Post Office presence local.

He said: “I have been speaking to a number of groups who are potentially interested in running one of the closure-hit branches but we’re at a very early stage and I’m still calling on the Post Offices to try and find alternatives.

“However, the threat of closure has been hanging over these branches for months and the Post Office has not managed to come up with a solution.

“Also, it’s clear that SPAR is not going to reverse its decision to close these branches, so we need alternatives.”

South Ayrshire Labour councillor Ian Cavana – whose ward covers the threatened branch at Whitletts – is fuming over the decision to close it.

He said: “I have contacted CJ Lang in regards to the proposed closure of the Post Office at Whitletts.

“I received a reply email from them to say they were in talks (not with local councillors) for the past 15 months and have confirmed this Post Office will close in August.

“I think this is nothing short of a disgrace, considering the area this Post Office serves which includes disabled and senior citizens and others who use the Post Office frequently.

“I’m there to pay my council tax, as I do every month, along with local residents. At this moment in time, CJ Lang did not offer any alternative in the Whitletts area.

“The nearest Post Office is in Lochside, which has limited opening hours, or WH Smith in Ayr town centre, which is unacceptable to that part of Ayr North. ”

Mr Smyth said it would be “difficult” to find an alternative operator but hopes that a business or another organisation can come forward with a proposal.

He said: “I realise this is easier said than done and that in some parts of the region it will be difficult to find an appropriate operator, but these towns, villages and areas have some fantastic groups and organisations, many of whom are already thinking about how to help their communities.

“With that in mind, I’m now appealing to any community groups or organisations who have an interest to come forward.”

SNP councillor Laura Brennan-Whitefield, whose ward also covers the threatened Whitletts branch said: “I would be very disappointed if the Post Office was to close on Whitletts Road as it provides a service to the community of Ayr North and not everyone has got access or wishes to use online services.”

And Conservative Councillor Ian Davis is also concerned over the closure.

The councillor said: “I’m currently hoping to discuss the proposed closure of the Post Office in Whitletts with CJ Lang, to raise the comments and concerns of the local community.

“Post Offices provide an important service to our local communities and it would be disappointing to see the Post Office here close.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."