ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Plans to close four post office counters in Southern Scotland over coming months

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Plans to close four post office counters in Southern Scotland over coming months

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2021-06 ... ing-months

Four Post Office counters across southern Scotland are set to close within months.

Branches based in Spar stores at Thornhill, Dumfries, Gretna and Eastriggs will all shut for good.

There are concerns the move could leave people cut off from vital services, with older residents being the worst hit. Spar operator CJ Lang says "industry-wide pressures" are behind the decision.

South Scotland MSP Colin Smyth and Council Leader Elaine Murray have urged the Post Office to find an alternative home for the four branches after it was confirmed they will no longer be able to operate from SPAR stores.

The post offices look set to close after SPAR confirmed those branches will no longer house the service from 12, 19, 23 August and 23 September respectively.

Writing to Dumfries and Galloway Council Leader Elaine Murray, CEO of CJ Lang and Sons, Colin McLean said after a consultation period it had been decided that it was not viable to continue to operate the Post Offices within those SPAR stores.

This latest news from the CEO of CJ Lang and Sons is very concerning.

Colin Smyth added: “They have stated that after 18 months of negotiations with Post Office, it has now been confirmed that in the next couple of months Post Office services will no longer operate out of SPAR stores in Thornhill, Georgetown, Gretna and Eastriggs.

“I am now urging the Post Office to find an alternative as a matter of urgency. Having a Post Office in the community is vital for so many of my constituents, particularly those who are older or people who can’t travel easily.

“Sadly, right across Dumfries and Galloway we have seen closure after closure of Post Offices and complete inaction by the UK Government to keep them open.

These latest closures would be another blow to the region, in particular the communities in Georgetown, Gretna, Eastriggs and Thornhill, and a further cut in the number of Post Offices across Dumfries and Galloway. Colin Smyth MSP, South Scotland
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."