ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

MP Simon Fells calls for justice as Post Office Horizon inquiry is ramped up

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

MP Simon Fells calls for justice as Post Office Horizon inquiry is ramped up

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/19318229 ... ry-ramped/

FURNESS MP Simon Fell has called for fair compensation to be given to sub-postmaster affected by the Post Office accounting scandal, including Barrow’s Isabella Wall.

He spoke after the Government announced the powers of an inquiry into the Horizon computer scandal would be extended.

Business minister Paul Scully said that as a statutory inquiry, witnesses could be compelled to give evidence to ‘get to the bottom of this appalling affair’.

The scandal, which saw postmasters falsely accused of theft and fraud due to computing errors, has been described as one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in British history.

The former Barrow sub-postmistress is among those campaigning for justice after she ‘lost everything’ during the affair.

An inquiry is due to be led by retired High Court judge Sir Wyn Williams.

Speaking in the House of Commons, Simon Fell said to the business minister: “It is right that the inquiry should look at how on earth this was allowed to happen in the first place—most pertinently, why the Post Office and Fujitsu completely ignored the red flags being waved by trusted sub-postmasters across the network.

“Compensation will be key. Sub-postmistress Isabella Wall from Barrow lost her home and business and was left with nothing.

“Can my honourable friend guarantee that fair compensation for those who have been completely wronged through this process will be the focus of the Government?”

Mr Scully said: “I pass my best wishes to Isabella Wall; I can only imagine what she and her family have been through.

“The inquiry looks at what went wrong and goes back historically to give confidence to those affected and in the future network.

“But clearly we want to make sure that postmasters get fair compensation as well as justice.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."