ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Post Office: Sub-postmasters' cases a step closer to court after SCCRC referral

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post Office: Sub-postmasters' cases a step closer to court after SCCRC referral

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.scottishlegal.com/article/p ... c-referral

The cases of sub-postmasters in Scotland who may have been wrongly prosecuted by the Post Office over its faulty computer system have been referred for review by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC).

The SCCRC announced last year that it was investigating the issue in Scotland. It has identified eight cases, seven of which are to proceed while the remaining one is still being assessed.

If the cases pass the next stage they will be referred to court.

The seven that have passed a stage one assessment will go to a full review to determine whether there has been a miscarriage of justice.

A spokesman for the SCCRC detailed the two-part statutory test that needs to be satisfied in order for a case to proceed — “namely that a miscarriage of justice may have occurred and that it is in the interests of justice that a reference is made”.

The wrongful convictions were made between 2000 and 2014, during which period the Post Office prosecuted 736 sub-postmasters and sub-postmistresses based on its Horizon IT system.

More than 57 sub-postmasters have had their wrongful conviction overturned in England after they were falsely accused of stealing money.

A Post Office spokesman said: “We are extremely sorry for the personal tragedies and deep pain suffered by victims of the Horizon scandal. We are participating fully in the independent inquiry established by the government to investigate what happened in the past and we have implemented fundamental reforms to ensure that such events could never happen again.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."