not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

re: PDA actuals vs Quality of Service

02 May 2018, 17:48

Apparently PDAs are the "game changer" that are used to monitor posties i.e. find out when they are starting and finishing and their actual spans and whether the planned route had been followed. This can then be used to perhaps increase ad-hoc lapsing or work out staff overtime. Surely the PDAs primary objective is to simply scan barcodes and provide customers with delivery information in real time?

Anyway, what I'm interested to know is just how important are they to the business as compared to, say, customer complaints or 1st time delivery?

02 May 2018, 20:53

They are very important, if you don't do the job correctly then you will get more to do, simple. Take breaks, use trolleys and start and finish on time, it's not rocket science. Run around and you'll be f****d!!!

03 May 2018, 06:19

postslippete wrote:Apparently PDAs are the "game changer" that are used to monitor posties i.e. find out when they are starting and finishing and their actual spans and whether the planned route had been followed. This can then be used to perhaps increase ad-hoc lapsing or work out staff overtime. Surely the PDAs primary objective is to simply scan barcodes and provide customers with delivery information in real time ?

Please cite your source for the above comment... thanks in advance...

03 May 2018, 08:17

These PDA's are brilliant, apparently they can tell if I'm pushing a trolley or not, wearing RM footwear, putting one foot in front of the other,posting letters via the approved method ,trying neighbours , there is it seems no end to it, if they're that good ,who needs managers?
However, given that it logged me off yesterday and I couldn't log back on ,because it was raining. I don't hold out much hope for its intended Orwellian purpose.

03 May 2018, 12:58

What is the real fear in PDA actual ?
Only people with spare duty time, in theory, will need to comply with working all paid contracted hours ?
Job and knock is gone, confined to the good old days and history!
Time to get over it. Do the job properly as RM wish to portray they want, work your time and go home.
Claim overtime if you wish to do it. Hopefully it could lead to less intimidation and bullying, hic !

03 May 2018, 14:27

tommyrep wrote:What is the real fear in PDA actual ?

Job losses.

03 May 2018, 15:41

That it will only be used to target certain individuals and rather than lead to less bullying in the workplace it will lead to more.

03 May 2018, 16:11

Decky Boy wrote:
postslippete wrote:Apparently PDAs are the "game changer" that are used to monitor posties i.e. find out when they are starting and finishing and their actual spans and whether the planned route had been followed. This can then be used to perhaps increase ad-hoc lapsing or work out staff overtime. Surely the PDAs primary objective is to simply scan barcodes and provide customers with delivery information in real time ?

dingo wrote:The PDA actuals are currently being trailed in Chesire and Mersey Royal Mail Director area.

Subject to the joint sign off of the trial than PDA actuals will be rolled out nationally.

Part of the plan is that PDA"s actuals will allow Royal Mail to advertise a new product with a 4 hour window which the PDA gives transparency.

The PDA will allow Royal Mail to understand the number of

journeys used to cover the ground , i.e.

stem mileage, ad-hoc deliveries , and reviewing lapsing effectiveness

Are people getting out late , are people finishing early or late ?

Actual spans versus paid ?

Has the planned route been followed

PDA actuals will give complete visibility outdoors. It is a game changer. In regards to mail centres the automated hours data capture will what they will use to record hours worked indoors following the trial in PRDC and Greenford Mail Centre and two delivery offices.

03 May 2018, 16:27

Phantom wrote:They are very important, if you don't do the job correctly then you will get more to do, simple. Take breaks, use trolleys and start and finish on time, it's not rocket science. Run around and you'll be f****d!!!

And I would agree with you BUT what if you work in a section where there are half a dozen guys regularly finishing before their time and half a dozen guys who are trying to do the job like you mentioned?? Who wins when the managers bring out lapsing? Its certainly not us and its not the customers on that lapsed round either. I was just wondering how a plan that PDA actuals will allow Royal Mail to advertise a new product with a 4 hour window would work when duties are being lapsed in a ad-hoc fashion :hmmmm

03 May 2018, 16:56

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=85783
LTB 261/18 - RM & CWU National Agreement Covering the Use Of PDA Outdoor Actuals

03 May 2018, 17:32

Decky Boy wrote:

It's from the CWU bulletin on PDA actuals data.

03 May 2018, 19:35

Thankyou

03 May 2018, 21:27

fishtank wrote:

Job losses.

How ?
I agree if people continue to not do the job properly, RM will assume that as spare time to utilise. eg, give more work and cut jobs.
Surely, even the current free time workers will realise that. Or am I hoping for too much common sense from them.
The PDA actuals could hi light a true reflection of work load, or am I wrong in assuming that colleagues are being truthful
when they say duty times are too tight at present.?
If people are shirking, it’s hard to defend them to be honest.

03 May 2018, 21:48

tommyrep wrote:
fishtank wrote:

Job losses.

How ?
I agree if people continue to not do the job properly, RM will assume that as spare time to utilise. eg, give more work and cut jobs.
Surely, even the current free time workers will realise that. Or am I hoping for too much common sense from them.
The PDA actuals could hi light a true reflection of work load, or am I wrong in assuming that colleagues are being truthful
when they say duty times are too tight at present.?
If people are shirking, it’s hard to defend them to be honest.

Your last sentence tells you how :cuppa

03 May 2018, 23:04

There are going to be faster and slower posties but I think if most average posties come into work on time and not before, do the job as directed, take and use all their break time etc they will find the duty time isn't long enough on most days except Tuesdays. RM is going to get more business year on year and people outside of RM continue to say direct mailings are a good way to advertise their businesses . So if RM are truthful about the PDA & AHDC data I don't think we can go any further in the lapsing/absorption direction. We have to instead start investing and improve the capacity of the business. Otherwise our competitors will do it and we will fall by the wayside.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2