ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR ARRANGEMENTS 2017/18 INCLUDING PAY ARRANGEMENTS... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : SEVERE WEATHER THREADS : UPDATED 2017... HERE

Royal Mail strikes: It is time postal boss Moya Greene stepped into the limelight

09 Oct 2017, 12:51

http://www.cityam.com/273478/royal-mail ... ne-stepped

Barring an eleventh-hour U-turn, Royal Mail will today go to the High Court in a bid to delay a planned shutdown of Britain’s postal service, almost eight years to the day after the last one.

The strike is over changes to pensions, pay and working conditions. We’ve seen a lot of the Communication Workers Union leaders in the newspapers and on TV, radio and social media championing their side of the argument. By contrast, Royal Mail chief executive Moya Greene has been conspicuous by her absence.

The Canadian, whose £1.9m 2017 pay includes a generous £200,000 pension, is not known for regularly courting the media. In addition, the CWU says Greene has not attended talks to avert the strikes. While she leaves it to her deputies, she hands the union an easy win.

Not all chief executives wish to directly engage in industrial disputes, whether in the press or facing off against unions representatives around a table. But City analysts stress fears over the industrial action are the largest weight on the 501-year-old company’s shares. So what could be higher up Greene’s to-do list?

Over a fifth of Royal Mail’s market capitalisation has been wiped away in the last 12 months, culminating in an embarrassing demotion from the FTSE 100. Its current share price, 378p, remains just ahead of the 330p it floated at in October 2013. However, it is well behind the 455p it had soared to by the end of the first day of trading.

Industry-watchers add the strike will be particularly damaging by giving its rivals a vital leg up. The likes of Deutsche Post-owned UK Mail and Barclay brothers’ Yodel are among a number of firms to have popped up by filling a void during previous strikes.

It is a tense time in many boardrooms. With criticism over executive pay high on the agenda, and with calls for public and executive leaders to be more visible, Greene’s absence from the public stage leaves her open to accusations that she has a tin ear not just at a critical time for Royal Mail, but for the business community more broadly.

Surely, now is the time for her step into the limelight and make her case.

Royal Mail strikes: It is time postal boss Moya Greene stepped into the limelight

09 Oct 2017, 14:56

These are interesting times. It'll be the first time the RM Management will be under pressure from Shareholders to resolve this current situation. They might, ironically, be be our greatest ally. :shock:

I know they're all really interested in Share Prices but it's too late to start crying over it now. :Boo hoo! How many of them are still holding the original shares? I thought most of the Carpet Baggers sold them as soon as the price rocketed? There's another few Billions that could have gone into the kitty. Well done Vince Cable.I didn't see anyone getting their wrists slapped after they'd undersold Royal Mail to their City buddies! :no no

The way the share prices are going, as a few posters on here suggested, they're going to be worth bugger all when it's OK to sell them. :cuppa

09 Oct 2017, 16:27

Dorset Plodder wrote:
The way the share prices are going, as a few posters on here suggested, they're going to be worth bugger all when it's OK to sell them. :cuppa

Rather like the colleague shares ones! :neutral:

09 Oct 2017, 16:59

FAB wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:

Not quite you could get a couple of grand now for them at today's prices

09 Oct 2017, 17:09

I know you don't mean the Colleague Shares (pity I've still got mine in a file somewhere) Cloherty. I have a suspicious feeling that at the appropriate time (when I want to sell my Shares) Royal Mail is going to engineer some sneaky plot to rip me off! :hmmmm

09 Oct 2017, 17:17

Dorset Plodder wrote:I know you don't mean the Colleague Shares (pity I've still got mine in a file somewhere) Cloherty. I have a suspicious feeling that at the appropriate time (when I want to sell my Shares) Royal Mail is going to engineer some sneaky plot to rip me off! :hmmmm

Nothing to do with Royal Mail it's the London stock exchange your dealing with. You just go through equiniti

09 Oct 2017, 18:16

Nice to see a bit of deviation from the standard spiel.

09 Oct 2017, 19:03

cloherty1976 wrote:
FAB wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:

And if they are worth bugger all, it means we all are out of a job.

09 Oct 2017, 19:50

rambo1 wrote:
cloherty1976 wrote:
FAB wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:

And if they are worth bugger all, it means we all are out of a job.

So how is mail being delivered daily under the Universal Service obligation dependant on shares being worth something ? :shock:

09 Oct 2017, 20:14

Maybe because if it ever reached the hypothetical case of the shares being worthless (and it never will) then RM would be bankrupt and dead in the water. So unless you want to work for no pay, there won't be much delivering being done...

10 Oct 2017, 13:38

I wouldn't want you all to think I was predicting the fall of Royal Mail. I was just saying that the carpet baggers were the BIG Winners in our Sell Off. The people who bought cheap and sold high a few days later. Just like on those Hollywood Movies. I expect a lot of the Pension Funds who bought our shares have probably still got them as they tend to go for the long game (does anyone know if our Pension Fund bought our own shares? :crazy: )

I realise the shares aren't sold by RM Cloherty.... it's just my luck that if I decided to sell mine, through equiniti, it'd probably coincide with the market crashing. :sad: I also realise that if the shares were worth Bugger All (technical term) the Business would be in a pretty poor state Rambo. To paraphrase Fishtank, "We're just talking about degrees of Bugger All". :thumbup

10 Oct 2017, 15:40

Tman wrote:Maybe because if it ever reached the hypothetical case of the shares being worthless (and it never will) then RM would be bankrupt and dead in the water. So unless you want to work for no pay, there won't be much delivering being done...

You've been reading too many of Moya's postcards last month. :arrrghhh
So if Royal Mail was bankrupt would no letters and packets ever be delivered again ? :crazy:
Or would the government step in to get things moving again, in which case which workforce do you think they would find quickly with the ability to carry on as before ? :cuppa

10 Oct 2017, 17:06

Dorset Plodder wrote:I wouldn't want you all to think I was predicting the fall of Royal Mail. I was just saying that the carpet baggers were the BIG Winners in our Sell Off. The people who bought cheap and sold high a few days later. Just like on those Hollywood Movies. I expect a lot of the Pension Funds who bought our shares have probably still got them as they tend to go for the long game (does anyone know if our Pension Fund bought our own shares? :crazy: )

I realise the shares aren't sold by RM Cloherty.... it's just my luck that if I decided to sell mine, through equiniti, it'd probably coincide with the market crashing. :sad: I also realise that if the shares were worth Bugger All (technical term) the Business would be in a pretty poor state Rambo. To paraphrase Fishtank, "We're just talking about degrees of Bugger All". :thumbup

When you ring you can take a live price if that what worries you.
:Very Happy

10 Oct 2017, 18:00

cloherty1976 wrote:When you ring you can take a live price if that what worries you.
:Very Happy

Thanks for the info but I'm not planning on selling. Probably hang on to them and give them to the Grandkids... might be worth something then. :whistle

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1