WHEN WILL ROYAL MAIL LISTEN? WHEN WE VOTE YES!
The CWU has now served notice to Royal Mail that it intends to Ballot all CWU members for Industrial action. This will mean that ballot papers will arrive at your home addresses in around two weeks time.
It is essential that you vote yes. The law has changed in that a ballot is only valid if 50% of the workforce vote in the ballot. Therefore it is essential that you exercise you democratic right and vote.
Could you imagine if we failed to get the legally required 50% turnout?
Royal Mail would see that as a green light to attack Pay, Pensions and our job security like never before. In the full knowledge that we are not prepared to stand up for ourselves. Remember, this dispute is about Royal Mail attempting to impose the following on CWU members:
- close the DB scheme from April 2018. This condemns us, the members of the scheme to losses in pension benefits totalling thousands of pounds. Remember, the further you are from age 65, the bigger the hit on your pension pot.Royal Mail want to change the pipeline resulting in the following ;
- Royal Mail does not want us to have a united pension scheme. They want to place all those who joined after 2008 into an inferior scheme. This will result in pension poverty for those of us affected by these proposals.
- Royal Mail has offered No Pay Rise this year and any future pay increases are to be based on an unknown performance criteria. This effectively means more massive cuts to jobs before we get any future pay increases.
- Royal Mail still refuses to pay the correct holiday pay for part timers who work above their contracted hours.
- Royal Mail is still blocking the Agenda for Growth section of a national agreement which allows for part timers to get an increase in contracted hours based on the actual hours they regularly work. The Union is demanding that part timers should get an increase in contracted hours.
- Royal Mail's obsession to meet office budgets has resulted in casuals being used in offices where Royal Mail do not pay the necessary overtime and for walks not to go out on certain days. The CWU is demanding that this is stops and that the USO is protected every day and casuals are removed.
- Mail Centre final dispatches becoming much later, removing the need for the amount of hours on the late shift and that duties will become much later than they are currently.
- Regional Distribution Centres will be impacted on a similar basis to Mail Centres.
- The Area Distribution function will be either completely replaced by larger vehicles or reduced due to the longer processing window meaning more work on a later first wave. This would mean a significant reduction on Distribution night shifts.
- Collections Drivers that rely on having a van which is also used by Deliveries will be under threat due to later deliveries. Additionally, Royal Mail's policy is to put more collection boxes on to Deliveries and reducing full time collection jobs to part time.
- VOC drivers who have already seen changes due to Network revisions will see massive change due to the pipeline moving backwards at least by two hours.
For Delivery Duties Royal Mail want a 17:00 last letter time. They want Delivery duties to go out after mid-day or later depending on the delivery span.
Royal Mail want to introduce what they call walk ownership which is really team working. They want us to work in geographical groups where we cover the sick and annual leave of our group for no extra pay. They want us to “own” the walk but we will not cut off from Delivery and would have seasonal variation of hours meaning you work more hours in the winter when traffic is heavy and less hours in the summer.
Walk ownership is a con. It is designed to make us think we’re in control of our jobs when in reality it makes it easier for Royal Mail to introduce unagreed change in the form of revisions, savings and the removal of seniority.
These are the reasons why the union is balloting. We will be balloted for Industrial action. These issues will have an impact on every single one of us - whatever function we work in or whether we are full time or part time.
It’s our future that is at stake. We need to support the CWU.
Remember there is no fence to sit on and no place to hide in this dispute!
We either fight for a better deal by Voting Yes or surrender our Pensions, Pay, future prospects and job security.IT’S TIME FOR EVERYONE TO STAND TOGETHER
CWU MEMBERS WILL START TO RECEIVE BALLOT PAPERS AT HOME FROM 14 SEPTEMBER
BALLOT PAPERS MUST BE RETURNED BY 3RD OCTOBER
A statement from the CWU London Divisional Committee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.