not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Post accidentally sent to Ireland

05 Aug 2019, 14:42

Hi :wave

Last Tues my mum went to post a package with birthday cards etc over to me in Belfast, selecting signed for first class delivery. As my birthday is tomorrow, she sent everything in good time. Unfortunately, there appears to have been a bit of a geographical misunderstanding behind the counter which my mum didn't pick up on either, and the package was sent via international delivery to Ireland. The tracking messages (ref no: RN364393820GB) suggest that the package reached Heathrow last Thursday, and left the UK. I tried calling customer services today. The information I received wasn't terribly clear, but I came away with the following understanding: Ireland's post service should notice that the package is bound for a Nothern Ireland address, send the package back to Royal Mail, who will then send it on to me. The customer service rep on the phone also said that I will hopefully receive the package some time by the end of this week. I hate to say it, but it was probably that assertion that made me most question whether I'll actually receive the package at all. Seems a bit too good to be true. If it's going to be sent back, would there not be more tracking messages to indicate where it is and what's happening with it by now? The fact that the Heathrow sorting centre appears to be the epicentre of so many mail-related delays and problems (didn't realise until I found this forum!) has also left me feeling a bit pessimistic.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone before (I mean - I'm sure it prob has), and what my chances of receiving the package is? Any insight into how a situation like this is normally handled would be great. Don't mind that I'm not likely to see the package for a while, but still, would be nice to receive birthday wishes from my family.

Many thanks!
LB.

Post accidentally sent to Ireland

05 Aug 2019, 15:08

Chance of receiving the item - 99.9%

Its rare that this happens but with 30-40 million items per day, occasionally mistakes will happen

Anpost probably won't scan the item but when it comes back into the UK system it will be scanned. I'm afraid its a waiting game now, but I am confident you will get it soon.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1