not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Is all this needed when sending a parcel please?

31 Jul 2019, 10:15

I have been involved in electronics as work and as a hobby for 50+ years. I send quite a few of my unwanted hobby items by parcel after disposing of with ebay. I am fully aware of the prohibited items list booklet. However, at one PO, using inland or International post, I am asked EXACTLY WHAT is inside every parcel, despite already declaring verbally "electronic items, no batteries, nothing prohibited" every time. I NEVER send any batteries, whatever type. This declaration is accepted at every other PO I use and causes no problems.
If I have a parcel containing several different items, I am then asked to state what each and every item is. I have been told it might be easier to make a list to take in next time! It is feasible there could be dozens or hundreds of different components within all my parcels that need declaring. ALL of which are not prohibited. This can be difficult to remember individual contents when I have say 10 parcels! However, ones with a CN22 are no problem,description is written on it.

Another thing that only happens at this PO is I have to declare the value of every signed for parcel if it is less than the compensation level. I am told this is to prove that I am only insured to that value and cannot claim more. I must admit, I don't write the value on every parcel without CN22, perhaps I should? If the value exceeds the cover, then that fact is also noted in biro on the receipt. This i am told is to prove I have been informed of this by the cashier.
I am well aware that any claim for loss or damage needs to be proved by submitting the ebay sale and payment copy to prove the exact amount, no matter what cover you may have bought. So all this seems a waste of time to me.
So, is all this palava really needed? I know they have an important job to do and that safety and security is essential. Royal Mail also advise you will be asked about the contents. But does it really need to be so specific down to each non-prohibited component part within?
Thanks again to all the moderators for running this forum
sholland

31 Jul 2019, 19:22

Different countries have different lists of what that restrict or ban. They're probably just covering themselves in case anything goes wrong. Some stuff within the UK goes by air so that's why they ask you about the contents, primarily to make sure about any lithium batteries

01 Aug 2019, 06:57

sholland wrote:However, at one PO, using inland or International post, I am asked EXACTLY WHAT is inside every parcel, despite already declaring verbally "electronic items, no batteries, nothing prohibited" every time. I NEVER send any batteries, whatever type.

This PO is doing it correctly with respect to the Dangerous Goods Act, the others are cutting corners. However, on your other point about writing the value on the receipt, they are going over the top.

02 Aug 2019, 17:51

Thanks both for replies. Good job only 1 employee knows some of the rules then, otherwise it could take forever! Even when I do give an accurate description of any component, they have never looked it up! It would only be discovered with a google search anyway, as not on the very brief RM prohibited list.
May as well close this,
Thanks. sholland

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1