not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Customs charge from Sweden

08 Mar 2019, 18:12

Hello fellow RM experts.

I have a question regarding customs charge.

I bought an replacement wifi card module for my laptop which was £17.14 from Aliexpress, the tracking number was provided as an LPXXXXXXXXXXXXXX which transferred over to LB182xxxxxxSE.

Today, I had a card to say that I have to pay £11.34 Customs Charge (I am assuming this includes the RM £8 handling fee). According to tracking it is from Sweden which is part of the EU (assuming brexit is not a thing currently).

Am I correct in saying a customs charge is not meant to be applied because it is from the EU member states? In addition, I went to pay a customs charge website on RM and it says that there is a problem processing your customs charge.

Should I fill in an exemption for the VAT and pay the fee they want, but will RM refund this including the handling fee? I find it obnoxious that £8 is a substandard costs regarding any high value or low value parcel. Is there really a customs charge if it is from Sweden? Can I ask the DO to return the item to sender if the charge is really present?

Pending
Tracking no. LB18xxxxxxxSE

This item is being held as there is a customs charge to pay. Find out more, pay online and choose a delivery day
Sweden

Border Force has applied a customs charge on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs.
A breakdown of the charges is available using the link above. For Government guidance on customs charges visit gov.uk (http://www.gov.uk) and search for Notice 143

Updated on: Friday 08 March
08:33am
Available for Collection or Redelivery
Hide earlier journey
Friday 08 March
06:57am
Held with a customs charge to pay (in GBP)
Hayes DO
Friday 08 March
06:11am
Arrived at
Hayes DO
Friday 08 March
03:29am
Item Despatched to Dorset Mail Centre
Greenford Mail Centre
Thursday 07 March
06:49pm
Item has left our International Processing Centre
Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre, United Kingdom
Thursday 07 March
03:39pm
Item Received
LANGLEY HWDC, United Kingdom
Thursday 28 February
12:14pm
Item Leaving overseas
Sweden
Thursday 28 February
08:14am
Item received at
Sweden

08 Mar 2019, 19:08

If you don’t agree with the amount of VAT and Customs Duty charged
you can appeal directly to Border Force by completing form BOR286,
available on www.gov.uk (search Notice 143).

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default ... n-2017.pdf

The problem being that Aliexpreee is a China-based company, perhaps that may be why they have charged VAT on it.

08 Mar 2019, 19:10

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ost-bor286

08 Mar 2019, 20:16

I am no tax lawyer but...

I believe that the principle is that the goods will be taxed once for entering the EU, and once that has happened further transfers between EU countries are not taxed (except for excise duties, where applicable).

So, do you believe it was taxed on entry to Sweden?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1