not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

International standard (leaving UK) - reference number?

04 Mar 2019, 23:47

Hi, I've been searching for an answer both using Google and here, and I've not yet found what I need to know so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me please.

I will likely be selling a few small items internationally, and I understand that domestic parcels have a reference number which show whether delivery has been attempted. My question is: Do international standard parcels also have a reference number, and if so, do they show when the parcel has left the country?

I haven't had any issues with inbound international parcels, but I just want to know what level of protection the standard service would give me (especially as I will be using PayPal) and whether a reference number would be sufficient to let buyers know when their parcel has left the country.

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

05 Mar 2019, 12:02

DottySpoons wrote:I will likely be selling a few small items internationally, and I understand that domestic parcels have a reference number which show whether delivery has been attempted. My question is: Do international standard parcels also have a reference number, and if so, do they show when the parcel has left the country?

Only if you buy a service with tracking or signature on delivery.

Normal parcels won't be scanned by the destination countries postal service, but they will scan ones ending GB.

Signed for Internationals will be scanned to the point of leaving the UK, and then on delivery (but not in between)

Tracked should be scanned throughout, but as usual, some postal services are not as rigorous as they should be.

05 Mar 2019, 16:50

Thank you for your reply, that makes perfect sense :)

Would RM scan such parcels (standard, no tracking) at any point between leaving the Post Office and handing it over to the relevant international postal service? (So not necessarily showing when it's leaving the country, but showing it's no longer with Royal Mail and is now the responsibility of the destination country's service.)

05 Mar 2019, 17:13

DottySpoons wrote:Thank you for your reply, that makes perfect sense :)

Would RM scan such parcels (standard, no tracking) at any point between leaving the Post Office and handing it over to the relevant international postal service? (So not necessarily showing when it's leaving the country, but showing it's no longer with Royal Mail and is now the responsibility of the destination country's service.)

No.

AFAIK the standard 2d barcodes are only scanned on delivery and only in the UK.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1