ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Package at Coventry, sent from Austria - what happens now?

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
carr0

Package at Coventry, sent from Austria - what happens now?

Post by carr0 »

Hi,

I live in Britain and recently bought two art prints from a company in Austria. The total price was less than £135, so there shouldn't (?) be any customs charge.
The Austria Post tracker says "Item arrived in country of destination GBCVTA, United Kingdom" yesterday.
This is the first time I've bought something from Austria, and also the first time I've bought something from the EU since 1 January, so I am not familiar with this. What should be the next thing I hear? Should the tracker record when the item enters the customs facility (assuming it hasn't already), and when it leaves customs, and the other stages before it gets delivered, or will it just turn up at my door?
And how long is this likely to take? I am really hoping this doesn't get stuck.
Thanks for any help with this.

C

SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Package at Coventry, sent from Austria - what happens now?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

What's the tracking number?
carr0

Post by carr0 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:01
What's the tracking number?
I've PMed it to you.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

carr0 wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:09
Hi,

I live in Britain and recently bought two art prints from a company in Austria. The total price was less than £135, so there shouldn't (?) be any customs charge.
The Austria Post tracker says "Item arrived in country of destination GBCVTA, United Kingdom" yesterday.
This is the first time I've bought something from Austria, and also the first time I've bought something from the EU since 1 January, so I am not familiar with this. What should be the next thing I hear? Should the tracker record when the item enters the customs facility (assuming it hasn't already), and when it leaves customs, and the other stages before it gets delivered, or will it just turn up at my door?
And how long is this likely to take? I am really hoping this doesn't get stuck.
Thanks for any help with this.

C
Its probably in customs right now, but as they don't scan anything you won't see any confirmation from them.

The next tracking - if its a fully tracked service, will be as it enters and goes through the Royal Mails system. The next expected scan for a non tracked service will be when delivery is attempted.

The how long part is difficult to answer, sometimes things get through quickly, other times it can take weeks, it all depends on what Customs are looking for, whether they are checking whole batches of mail or individual items, and how busy they are.

Once it is in the Royal Mails system, if it works perfectly it should only take 1 or 2 working days to arrive. Also if has gone through Coventry it's probably going to come through Parcelforce rather than Royal Mail, you will probably get better tracking using their website rather than Royal Mails.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Not sure it's coming via either RM or PF as the tracking number isn't valid for either
carr0

Post by carr0 »

Amazing - this has now been delivered! And only about an hour ago I was cursing Brexit and wondering what I'd do if I didn't hear anything for a month. It was a Parcelforce delivery. The code on it (which I hadn't seen before and is not the same as the Austria Post number I was given, although that's on it too) comes up under PF's online track and trace.

What does it mean when it says "Parcel no." ***** (ending in "AT") and then "Part of consignment" ***** (ending in "GB")? (I have no other parcel coming.)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Sounds like once it gets handed over to PF by Customs, PF allocate it a new tracking number that's compatible with PF's system and behind the scenes the old and new numbers get linked/associated with each other
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

carr0 wrote:
24 May 2022, 14:20
Amazing - this has now been delivered! And only about an hour ago I was cursing Brexit and wondering what I'd do if I didn't hear anything for a month. It was a Parcelforce delivery. The code on it (which I hadn't seen before and is not the same as the Austria Post number I was given, although that's on it too) comes up under PF's online track and trace.

What does it mean when it says "Parcel no." ***** (ending in "AT") and then "Part of consignment" ***** (ending in "GB")? (I have no other parcel coming.)
AT and GB are the country codes for Austria and the UK - This is regulated by the Universal Postal Union https://www.upu.int/en/Universal-Postal ... d=32#mb--1

So it does look like the tracking code for your parcel was changed for some reason.

Or, it's possible that your item was part of a consignment and when the consignment arrived in the UK the individual parcels were given a new tracking number.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."